Old 12-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #239
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Pork, I may have been inside your trailer. I didn't recall who the dealer was that you went through, but Don had said to me if I knew or had the VIN and it was on the line, I could have taken you some snapshots of your unit. Heck if it was on the line, I might ahve anyway! Was yours a Classic Limited?
Eric ... no, we ordered the Classic ... no Limited .... couldn't justify the extra thousands for that level of trim.

I don't think it will be going on the line until the last week of this month .. but you never know.

I'll have mine fumigated just in case your were in it.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #240
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Some quality nits and nats

[I tried to post this earlier, and got timed out. So if this is dupe, forgive the wasted bandwidth...]

If you all are still interested in 2004 quality issues, here's some additional info.

We received our 2004 28' Classic in mid-November. So far, we have found very little to grouse about, other than the following:

I was poking around the floor for one reason or another, and took out one of the drawers under the closet next to the fridge.

First of all, it was obvious that somebody's make-ready activity didn't extend to hidden areas, because there was all kinds of sawdust and wood trimmings still in there (the exposed, living part of the trailer had obviously been vacuumed by somebody - from what I saw underneath the cabinets, though, I'm beginning to believe that may have been done by the dealer, not AS. No objective evidence of that, though...)

Anyway, I got to looking at the drawer glide rails, which telescope into a little plastic bracket which is attached to a vertical piece of particle board behind the drawers. In every one that I have looked at so far (10 brackets), the brackets have been attached using only a single 1/2" screw. The brackets, I might add, have holes for 4 screws. The poor attachment allows the bracket to swivel in a vertical plane if the screw that's in there is even half-way loose (they all were). At any rate, these are not impossible to fix, but they're a pain in the butt if you're old and decrepit.

I'm more than a little distressed that it's the hidden stuff that got short quality shrift. Somebody's not doing their jobs, I think.

Another little thing: the couch has a pull-out drawer under it. You'd have to look at the latch it uses to see what I'm really talking about, but suffice it to say that the hole for the latch in the drawer was oversized, such that the latch assembly would pull out of the drawwer and fall on the floor. I was able to fix(?) it by bending out the latch-holding metal clip so that it could grip the sides of the hole, but again - here's a hidden feature that somebody didn't care enough about to do correctly.

And finally, there is a trim strip that goes under the toespace under the kitchen drawers under the range. It had never been tacked down and was sliding around loose.

We live 80 miles from the dealer, so these are things I'll need to deal with myself. If we were closer, I'd have taken it back in a minute.

Lesson learned: crawl through the trailer, poking into every nook and cranny, before you take delivery. And be prepared to leave it there if you spot something you don't like. (There's got to be some way to become emotionally univolved when you're picking it up from the dealer, but darned if I know what it is.)

TTYL

Old 12-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #241
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just found out from Airstream that the dealer and a rep from the factory had re-water pressure tested the water delivery system.....they were unable to locate any leaks based on the test results (which is very good news).

I'm told it's raining outside there now and that the coach has been re-winterized and placed outdoors. They are looking to see if it gets wet again.

So far the general thought is that the dealer may have left something open during the recent rain/snows that they have had. More to come.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #242

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That is good news Eric. If they don't get any water from the rain, I think the next test needs to be with a water hose and make sure that A/C is good and tight. Still awfully strange to leave something open and not see a water trail. Couldn't be the fans since they are at extreme ends. Windows would leave a trail to the floor. Did they leave the door open...hmm..that's possible.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #243
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think after it passes the rain test, I may request that besides the other odds and ends I asked be done, that the unit go back to the water testing bay at the factory for one final test. I also would want the dealer to verify that there is no visible water marks on the cloth.

If they can water test it again and it passes, promise me that there is no water stain damage or discoloration of the materials and they complete the odds and ends, then I think we'll see a new coach here in Illinois fairly soon!

Eric
Old 12-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Just a thought...

Could it be snow that was tracked in on a worker's boots?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #245
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It could be possible, but it would have had to be a fair amount of snow....I sent the factory folks and the dealer a confirmation of the other things we were hoping they would do and also requested that the coach go through one more test on the water testing machine at the factory just as a precaution before they send it to me.

Eric
Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #246

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm congrats and and suggestions. Jack our dealer (Toscano RV, Los Banos, CA.) told us nothing of having the coach level & stabilizers down when operating the slide out. Admittedly, closing the slide out was the very last thing I did before pulling away from our campsite. With the coach hitched up and stabilizers retracted, I'm afraid. I will try it how you were told to next time, as it does make sense to me.

We did find that manual insert that describes how to callibrate the holding tank sensors you mentioned. Frankly, we found it to be rather confusing. Since we were camping without sewer hookups we weren't able to callibrate them there, since that tanks must be empty apparently. My partner made a call to MicroPulse... The company that makes the sensor panel. They have a technical support staff there who was able to explain the callibration procedure, by way of a simpler process that's not in the documentaion. Apparently it's a shotcut they use in house.

No pictures for you all just yet, but should have some soon.

Happy Holidays
Mike D.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #247
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Mike--Just sent you a PM,
Merry Xmas

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:35 PM   #248

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike D
Hi All,

Admittedly, closing the slide out was the very last thing I did before pulling away from our campsite. With the coach hitched up and stabilizers retracted, I'm afraid. Mike D.
Mike, I'll bet you that was probably the reason why you had problems. I would be curious since you made adjustments to get things linded up, you may find the slide is out of adjustment when you do it the way my dealer told me.

Be prepared to make one more adjustment to the slide like you did last time. Once you get this set correctly when extending on a supported frame and level conditions, you shouln't have a problem again.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #249
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Well done Eric! Good for you.

We're confident your baby will be delivered right to your front door safely and soon.

Wish you and your lady Happy Trails!

We've been away for a while and might have missed the answer to this but...didn't your dealer check the unit BEFORE he called you to go down there and get it?

The pics you posted show an 'obvious' water stain/damage!! How could they have missed it!?? Did you pay for dealer prep?...

Anyhow it seems your dealer (and AS) are behaving very well. We're glad that customer service is improving. Their handling of this sure shows it.

Keep us updated.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:42 AM   #250
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The dealer prep was included in the price. I think what happened was that they did the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and I think the thought currently is that they left a door or something open and didn't notice it until that morning when we arrived. To be sure, they kept the coach to ensure it is 100% when we take delivery. The dealer has provided great service as has the factory. It's a slow process, but to me it's well worth the wait. I'm not in a big hurry and would rather that time be taken to research it completely. I know and trust that everything that can be done is being done and I have the utmost confidence (especially after meeting the folks at the the dealer and the factory) that it's gonna be just fine.

I sent a small email list of things for the dealer to go over and also asked about the possibility of having the coach water tested again at the factory should the rain not dupllicate the issue just to be sure. I also asked that the material be checked closely to see if there is any water stains or damage. I copied both the dealer and the factory folks as well so all are in the loop.

I'll fill you all in once the process is completed.

Eric
Old 12-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Some small glitches

I just returned from the dealer. I had 2 complaints ... the vibration in the heat pump and a refrigerator that was not cooling well. The score was one for Airstream and two for Dometic.

The tech found that not only was the squirrel cage blower loose on the shaft, he could also turn the nuts on the mounting bolts with his fingers. The mounting bolts were apparently never fully tightened during assembly. everything is tightened up now and I have great hopes that my problems are solved.

The refrigerator, which had never cooled as well as expected had cratered completely. I had fired it up on gas a full day ahead and even after a 30-degree night, it was only down to 50 degrees in the bottom section this morning.

I was given the choice of a new cooling unit for my current beige-frame box or a new black-frame box (the almond is no longer available). My microwave, mounted right above the refrigerator, is black, so it was a no-brainer to choose a new, black-frame box. The tech heaved a sigh of relief at not having to install a new cooling unit.

I should have the new refrigerator early next week. In the meantime, I washed the trailer and put it back in covered storage instead of leaving it in the dusty dealer lot.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #252
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
She's HOME!!!

Well here it is. About noon today, the dealer delivered the new Silvertwinkie. Again, the production date is 12/03 and it is a 2004 Safari Six Sleeper "SS".

So far I have been very impressed with the overall fit an finish of the Safari. There were some initial issues that came about as some of you know by now, but Sherry took care of the smaller items and the factory looked into the larger issue.

Not that it shocked me but when I went to the factory tour, I had mentioned to a few of the folks that there were some initial problems and midway through the factory tour (about 30 minutes or less), the factory jumped neck deep into the issues I brought up. For the next few days both Jim and Tim (from the factory) were on it BIG TIME working with the dealer to resolve the issues as a well oiled machine!

Every issue as far as I can tell tonight, was taken care of very well. The factory actually replaced both dinette base fabrics and they water tested the unit again. The basics **appear to me** that some person at the dealer might not have closed the main door fully when he/she/it washed the coach and as a result, the water on the dinette bases happened. I will keep you all informed should the leak show again.....

I was beyond impressed with how both the dealer and the factory took care of me. I know to some, it's expected, but frankly, it's really nice to know that there are folks out there that really can make a difference and actually care. My past exp left me a bit uneasy, and the current situation really had me a bit concerned, but here I sit in the new coach (typing this via wireless) and I still can't believe that she finally made it home.

For those that are on the fences about all that you've read, I gotta tell you, Airstream is NOT about to let things slide by. I can't speak for all dealers, but Paul Sherry really went the extra mile. I mean they towed the coach 300 miles to my door (at no cost to me).

In the end, no one is perfect and in life things happen. It is however, very refreshing to see such help from both the factory and this particular dealer.

I am beyond one happy camper tonight, and it's a big thanks to the factory and the dealer.

You can't ask for more than that!

Place your order today...but at this point, it looks like it might be an '05 and as such a whole new thread might be needed!

Anyone that has any questions, feel free to contact me offline and I will be happy to share as much as I can.

Very BIG KUDOS to both the dealer and the factory (Jim, Tim and the rest of the Airstream Team) for building, delivering and standing behind what is largely regarded as the finest coach on this planet!

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote