Old 12-05-2003, 07:19 PM   #211
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Eric.

Congratulations on the birth of your Safari. I actually knew you would be getting yours sooner than later after talking with Jerry, but he told me not to tell you, just in case it did not come in earlier than expected. Seems like a nice enough guy, but I (we) await a full report from you on your adventures of procurement/inspection. Pam and I are set on the 19' CCD, so it is not if, but when...

Be careful of weather and snipers near Columbus...I hear they are really bad at this time of year!!!

Let us know when you go, so we can leave a coach-light on for you on your return.

Love and kisses.

Jonathan

Old 12-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #212
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'll be leavin in a week or two to go collect the new baby...

I will for sure post and let you all know what I find, plus pics of the factory as we'll be taking the tour and staying at the factory campground at least one night, maybe more (depending if I find anything).

The weather over the next few weeks is kind of touch and go, but I'll be taking a full week off just in case. I won't be in any speed record to get home.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Drive safely

Congratulations on your new baby.. enjoy and hope there is no surprises on inspection. The factory tour is great.. we did that this summer.. Annie 1976
Old 12-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #214

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I'll be leavin in a week or two to go collect the new baby...

Eric
Oh wow, so near but yet so far.

For those of you who have '04 Classics on order or just delivered,
I just got a email from Airstream regarding some questions I had on the faucets, heat pump, and thermostat.

First the heat pump will turn off at 24 degrees and switch to the furnace, then at 34 degrees it will change back to the heat pump.

Apparently you get no manual for the thermostat but if you call Dometic they can get you one.

Finally for those who like to fill out the waranty cards, the models of the Moen faucets are:
Kitchen sink - MDL 7030W
Bath sink - L4720CP
Shower - MDL TL2391CP

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #215
3 Rivet Member

silver T, congrats! Are you buying the rig from the dealer, but picking it up at the factory or what? RE: staying in the AS campground got me confused; if you find any glitches, do you work thru the dealer or the factrory?
Old 12-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #216
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I bought from a dealer close to the factory. Should I find any issues, I plan on being at the factory anyway so I'm gonna plan on having the factory deal with any issues the dealer might miss (if there are any issues).

I'll post everything from nuts to bolts once I return.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-06-2003, 08:14 PM   #217

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera

First the heat pump will turn off at 24 degrees and switch to the furnace, then at 34 degrees it will change back to the heat pump.

My dealer said that the heat pump was good down to about 40 degrees. I think he is right on that one. It was 32 degrees this evening and I brought the trailer up to 60 degrees with the furnace. I went to the heat pump and had 90 degree air coming out of it, but the trailer was slowly losing temp.

Obviously with the factory information above, at least with a 30' slide out and the 15K air conditioner, you probably will be using the furnace long before the outside air temps get down to 24.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Heat pump failure

It was down to just below freezing the last two nights. The heat pump kept the trailer comfortable at a 68 degree thermostat setting the first night and most of last night.

About 4 am this morning, I was awakened by what I first thought was the sound of a loud engine nearby. It progressively became louder and about the time I awakened enough to realize that the noise was coming from the heat pump, the circuit breaker over the bed opened with a loud snap and the noise stopped. I suspect that the compressor may had failed and locked up. I got up and changed the heat control to furnace for the balance of the night.

This was my second trip with the new trailer and about the 5th night that the heat pump has run for a substantial amount of time.

The good news is that the heat pump will keep the 25' trailer quite comfortable at and below freezing. It probably ran less than 40% of the time at about 30 degrees. I switch to furnace for a short while during morning shower time since the furnace directly heats the bathroom.

I don't consider this an Airstream quality glitch since it is a purchased part and will be fixed under warrenty. It is just an unfortunate early failure of a component common to many makes of RVs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:29 PM   #219
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We've had good luck with out 15,000 BTU HP in our 2004 30' Classic. When in Flagstaff a few weeks ago, it got down to 20 degrees. The HP ran until it need the furnace. it switched over flawlessly. Most nites, in other locations, temps in the 30's and 40's, it provided excellent service.

We also are quite satisfied with the HP option. Recommend it to everyone.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:34 PM   #220

Fenton , Missouri
I guess the slide out adds just enough volume to overwhelm the capacity of the heat pump once the temperature gets down to freezing. At that point I really want the furnace running anyway to make sure the that the water components are getting their share of the heat. The heat pump doesn't provide anything to those areas.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #221
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tick/Tock....Tick/Tock....YAWN....but I can't sleep.....sigh....

I've been charting out a path and an alternate path in case there is any lake effect snow.

From what I gather, Chicago to Piqua (which is about 30 miles from Jackson Center) is between 265-325 miles.

It's going to be a long week or two!

Eric
Old 12-07-2003, 09:02 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Warranty Work

We're making good progress on correcting our quality problems.

Our unit was at North Dallas RV. Pat and Randy worked with Dave Schumann on our long list. It too a couple of weeks to get the parts and do the work. Pat and Randy paid lots of attention to details.

Our freezing-refrigerator problem was a bad controller board. The gas line and the stabalizer jack screw rubbing was repaired using a hose section over the gas line to prevent the direct rubbing.

The only remaining big item is the flooring, which we are arranging. Airstream has agreed to replace the flooring.

Overall, we're happy to have found Randy and Pat at North Dallas RV. it is a 4.5 hour drive from home, but well worth it. From the number of AS units there, Pat and Randy must be doing work for lots of the forum readers.

We're glad to have the lady back, and we're ready to head out again.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:12 PM   #223

Fenton , Missouri
Looks like we found our first quality issue, albeit minor. I opened all the curtains and window shades yesterday. In closing things up Patty discovered that one curtain panel on one of the windows on the slide out unit shows evidence of dirt or hand prints and the velcro patches on this panel and its mate are identical. (In other words both curtain panels have hook patches and no latching patch which means the panels cannot be secured together).

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 PM   #224
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about the problem Jack. Are you gonna take it back to the dealer before spring?