Old 11-24-2003, 04:04 PM   #197

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I thought Airstream ack this issue and started installing it differently so there was no physical contact....
Eric
Well technically there is no contact if you hold the wrench at the correct angle. The problem is the nut you have to turn for the jack is inboard of the gas line which is located close to the streetside edge of the trailer. Unless that nut hangs down significantly lower, or they bend the gas line down, your long handled wrench can rub the gas line as you crank it. That's why I found the foam pipe wrap insulation worked so well. I haven't checked this out on my new Classic so I'll be interested to see what they have done, or how it differs from my '01 Safari.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #198
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up Re: Yeaaaaaa!!!

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Paul Sherry RV.....the coach IS in production! They told me that the coach will be ready by the end of next week!
Merry Christmas, Eric!

Airstream informed me that mine goes into production during "late December" ... which means it will be assembled by drunk employess who don't want to be there.

On the bright side ... my F-350 is on a UP train headed my way ... should be driving it for Thanksgiving.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Storks, Elves and Santa are sure busy with you guys...

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you!!!!!
and 'Welcome home to Jack's baby'.

Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #200

Fenton , Missouri
It's Home!

We got a call from our dealer earlier this week to let us know the new class V reciever (Hidden Hitch) and Equalizer (1,400 lb) hitch came in.

We went to the dealer's yesterday and the Classic was set up on one of the dealer's overnight sites hooked up and purring. It was about 32 degrees cloudy with a northwest wind between 25-35 mph. Not a nice day to be outside or towing.

We did a fast check of the outside components and I got my first surprise. Power stabilizer jacks! Something I wasn't expecting but apparently standard equipment on the Classic S.O. We went through the rest of the hatches and fittings and then went inside. There we found the lights all turned up, the insides toasty warm, and the radio on my wifes favorite station. Since the water was on we got to go through all the functions and all looks great. No issues to correct. The dealer thought we may want to spend the night but I didn't think he was setting us up like this so I wasn't prepared.

We went through the fridge, A/C unit, thermostat, water heater, furnace, stove and slide out components. All looks perfect so until we spend our first night, I think I have to grade an A+ for this new unit. At that point we blew out the lines and pumped in some anti-freeze. Wow access to the pump! Something I didn't have in the Safari.

The Hidden Hitch bolted right on in place of the GM supplied factory hitch. It has the same profile as the GM unit but gives me 1,400 lbs of weight distributing capacity. Plenty for the 1,125 lbs. that the Classic provides. The Equalizer hitch is great. The dealer had never heard of the 1,400 lb. hitch since they only advertise up to 1,200 lbs. The bars are heavy and are quite apparently heavier than my 1,000 lbs Reese bars.

The owner of the dealership, Bill Thomas personally did the test tow with my van and Safari. He was curious regarding the handling and was quite surprised how stable the 3/4 van and Classic were. He was also quite impressed with my Jordan Ultima brake controller and looked at it carefully before making some notes for him to look at this unit for possible use at the dealership.

We came home in the dark (belive it or not I have not towed at night for almost 10 years. First time towing an Airstream. With the wind howling, off I went. Those big clearance lights are really neat, especially with the side mounted lights that are midway on the trailer. No one entering the highway could miss seeing me. The towing difference in the Safari and the Classic was minor with the noticible issue being hills which of course required some more pressure on the gas. Stability was a rock solid and that 3/4 ton GMC van suspension is equal to the task of this trailer.

The hitch is just great. No sway no noticable effects from the passing 18 wheelers on busy I70. As many of you know I have pulled with a Reese dual-cam sway control on my SOB and on my Safari so I knew I would be critical of this new hitch. Well I found the Equalizer kept the Classic right behing the van, even on some pretty big cross wind gusts which moved both me and the trailer in unison. So for those looking at an alternative to the Reese, I would give thumbs up on the Equalizer product. Especially when dealing with the new dual-cam HP product which requires you to drill holes into the trailer A frame.

Well at this point I've got to cut the grass for the last time of the year, and get the stuff from the garage into the Classic so I'll post more observations later!

Regards,

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb290001(1).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	3964  
AIR #56
Old 11-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #201
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Congrats on the new AS, Jack.

Nice to hear that you had no major issues ... sounds like you have a pretty good dealer too.

Looks good on the outside ... now let's see the inside!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 11-30-2003, 08:49 AM   #202
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice unit Jack! Glad finally got it...you were Airstreamless there for a bit.

I wanted to share an observation I made this past weekend while we were visiting Brandi's family for the holiday.

Brandi's uncle bought an SOB motorhome. I believe it was called a Hurricane. I had never seen it, so he took me on the tour (he also built a huge pole barn to put it in---really nice!).

Anyway, upon getting to the door of the coach, what do I see?

A THOR STICKER ON THE SIDE!

The unit was a 2001. I found several similarities between the Hurricane and my limited knowledge of Airstreams.

First, the interior was not exact, but pretty darn close to some of the interiors of the Airstream line.

Second, the lighting fixtures are the exact same inside the unit as well as some of the woodworking.

Not at all unusual for a HUGE RV manufacturer.

The part that I found VERY interesting was the fact that he has damn near the EXACT same QC issues we here have all been talking about. Leaks from the roof, fit and finish issues with the cabinetry, etc.

Normally, being an SOB, I would just say, yup...sounds about right, however, I would start a sentence with my 2003 issues, and he'd finish it....and the other way around.

Just found it very interesting.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member

Jack,

The new coach looks great. I hope that you and your family have many wonderful trips with it.

Josh
Old 11-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #204
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Porky Pig
[B]

Airstream informed me that mine goes into production during "late December" ... which means it will be assembled by drunk employess who don't want to be there.

Oh my...I just caught this and had to walk away from the computer for a few minutes to compose myself....

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-01-2003, 06:45 AM   #205
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
'04 quality update

Folks,

We have made two road trips to date in our new '04 25' Safari model A. Nothing like living in it to find out how everything is put together. I can report that we are extremely happy with our coach. Build date was april '03. The only thing we found to date is that there was a piece of trim in the bathroom corner on the toilet side that was loose. I will have to say that compared to our '01 Bambi, this is very roomy and tows very well. Backing is much easier with the longer trailer and dual axles. Overall, very happy with it.

Bob Caldwell
Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 AM   #206

Fenton , Missouri
Re: '04 quality update

Quote:
Originally posted by rcaldwel
We have made two road trips to date in our new '04 25' Safari model A. Build date was april '03.
Bob Caldwell
Whoa! This is an early one! I remember my '01 Safari was built mid April '01. Supposedly model change over was to start in May. I have seen a few very early model year units which are titled as new year units but supporting some graphics and trim of the previous years. One specifically being an '02 Classic sporting the '01 stripes and 70th anniversary logo that appeared midships on all '01 units.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Re: Re: '04 quality update

Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
One specifically being an '02 Classic sporting the '01 stripes and 70th anniversary logo that appeared midships on all '01 units.

Jack
I have the 70th anniversary logo plaque midships on my 2003 Classic built in April of this year. They must be using them up till they run out of them.

Mine was built in April and is a 2003 with 2003 trim, full carpet, etc. The cutoff must have been sometime during that month. It might hinge on when the order was put in.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #208
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
IT'S IN!! IT'S IN!!!

Just got an email from the dealer! A Safari 25 C that fits the description just appeared on the dealer lot!

I'll be off to pick it up soon!

Now Pork, this is where I don't sleep now.......knowing it's there and not being able to pick it up right now!

Eric
Old 12-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #209

Fenton , Missouri
Oh my oh my! How's the snow up there? I heard Ohio was due to get some.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #210
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: IT'S IN!! IT'S IN!!!

Quote:
Now Pork, this is where I don't sleep now.......knowing it's there and not being able to pick it up right now!
Eric ... I hope the weather cooperates ... when are you going?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon