Old 11-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #155
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

T -10 days and counting!

...but who is actually counting anyway?

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:53 PM   #156
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Eric .... I hear you ... and yes, I'm counting too.

Don't have an actual build date .. but I finally got a VIN today from Toscanos.

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #157
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ifa you gotta VIN, you gotta build date ina youa futura!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 11-08-2003, 11:05 PM   #158
lee
2 Rivet Member

AS Quality: My new 04

Just returned from 25 day trip to seattle and back, 1769 miles towed.
1: New 22' safari , reese wd 750lbs , Toyota Tundra 01.
2: Build date 9/18/03
3: Picked up 10/5/03 two minor QC issues , vinyl flloor cuts & weather stripping on water heater door. fixed at dealer.
4: After 25 nights & days in new 22' safari I can honestly say that every thing worked , nothing was defective before trip was started, I checked everything that I could think of.
A) Checked LP gas lines and how they were routed, all of them were routed well away from anything that could easily destroy them and they were secured and covered with protective conduit ( prior post on this forum warned of poor lp line routing.
B) Tank monitors were accurately calibrated.
5) Quality issues that I noticed from expierence
A) Wardrobe door latch is high quality but not the proper design for a folding door ( I broke it) . needs different type of latch
B) Plastic latch for securing mini blinds when fully closed for travel needs to be of high quality ABS / spring steel not cheap plastic. ( Yep I broke it )
c) some ill informed person put 13 wood screws in seat platform where you access water pump for winterizing so I just bought 9 gals of antifreeze because I didn't feel like dealing with it that nite . ( Wal-Mart $2.50 per gallon )
6) Fit and finish of exterior was excellent. Door, screen door, windows, dumping valves , zip dee awnings water hookups also excellent Interior fit and finish also excellent, except 2 minor cuts in vinyl floor , and fixtures and overall design interior design were superior.
7) Airstream towed flawlessly never a problem on freeways or bumpy roads no matter the weather ( snow ,rain and dry ) or fast traveling semis.

I would buy this 22" AS again in a heartbeat. It works like a well running watch. Next stop wintering Dec thru Feb in AZ.
I will post a trip report in a few days.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #159
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the info and contribution to the thread Lee. Glad to see outside of a few cosmetic issues that the interior has held up. Look forward to hearing how itís holding up over time. I had very similar issues with the latching in my '03. I must have adjusted some of them 5-6x!

For me I have about 8 days before construction should start on the Safari I ordered. I'm anticipating that I will have either an 11/03 or a 12/03 build date stamped on the coach depending on when they start and/or finish, so I'll be sure to post how well they are doing. Going by your post though it does sound encouraging.

Eric
Old 11-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

New 28' International CCD

Believe it or not, I am back in China. Although I was only in the United States for all of about 4 days, I managed to have enough time to stop by and sign the papers for my new 28' International CCD.

Unbelievably, I only had about 5 minutes before I had to head to the airport to catch a plane to Washington, DC for a meeting. I quickly glanced at my new unit and I have to say that it looked great. The dealer had already done the PDI and I have to say, from what I saw, he did a great job.

It was agreed, that as soon as I get back, a thorough walk through will be done, but from what I briefly saw, everything looks good at first glance.

I will have a more in-depth update in two weeks when I return.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Quote:
weather stripping on water heater door
What weather stripping they do not have a seal there..
Old 11-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #162
lee
2 Rivet Member

Jpairstream

Airstream put a rubber seal on my waterheater outside door and it was peeling off so dealer reglued it.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Monitoring switches

When we went thru the A/S factory tour (9-29-03) they had started using a pressure type monitoring switch for the tanks --back,grey, fresh water. They were still using the outside sticky type also, but had the new type as a redundant set-up. They said that so far they had not received any complaints as to the monitoring system not working. As I mentioned previously, I really feel customers will see a different QC on the new models.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:41 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Black Tank Sensor problem

Just finished my first (8-day) trip. Only additional problem found was that the black tank shows 2/3 full all of the time, including just after dumping and after several days use. The tank has never been more than about 1/4 full so far since I was alone in the trailer and gone a lot of the time.

I did have one window blind that would not stay up. Easy fix just by tightening the strings. This should be covered in the manual.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:09 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Oh Gosh-what to do?!

We have been negotiating and fine tuning our choice for our first full profile trailer and think the 25' SS would be just the right unit for our needs. There is a unit 2003 and we like it but are also torn between it and about ordering a 2004. I am leaning toward the purchase of the in stock unit.

Some of the differences I believe are that the 2004's have 18 gallon gray water tank as opposed to 23, the 2003 has trim vs rivets around the middle, and the 2003 dinette is 36" instead of 42". And the 2004 I saw had a door under bed and the 2003 does not. Which I thought might be an issue or perhaps we can retrofit the door on. What else is different? I thought the extra walk room was more important than the seat width for just my husband and myself, (and the 90# puppy, at least he acts like one, he's two now.) The tank is all for the good, the trim I have no idea except for visual difference.

But after reading about the quality control issues of 2003, I am even more afraid to go ahead. It is all carpeted so many of the floor issues may not exist, no slideout, the appliances are covered by manufacturer, and bathroom caulking should represent no biggie. I will defintiely check the gas line and stabilizer placement! So I wonder if I would be imprudent to take this 2003. Also my husband had a point that when we go to trade it in it will be a year older than we have had the use of.

I am appreciating all I am learning here and I thank you all. If you have any ideas or advice for me I am all ears

I really am getting excited over the Airstream. I've been over the maintainance realization, then crunching the towing weight numbers, SOB comparisons, but now as we are so close I am just not sure whether we should wait or go for it. Oh, and I promise not to hold you accountable for your opinions, I know we need to make our own decision. This is rough. I like them ALL!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My 2003 classic is a "late 2003", having been built this spring. I can't fault the quality since it is head and shoulders better than my International that was built almost exactly a year earlier. If it is a fairly "late 2003", I would say go ahead.

I compared mine to the 2004s around it and saw absolutely no difference.

The dealer should bargain enough on the 2003 to pretty much cover the difference in eventual trade in. After a few years, condition means a lot more than dates.

For two persons, the smaller dinette should be just fine. It is nice to have moving-around room in the trailer.

I like the beltline trim; I think units without it look bare.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:55 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think the trim looks cool too.

I love a deal, hope I can get my bargaining skills in good stead!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
My 2003 classic is a "late 2003", having been built this spring. I can't fault the quality since it is head and shoulders better than my International that was built almost exactly a year earlier. If it is a fairly "late 2003", I would say go ahead.

I compared mine to the 2004s around it and saw absolutely no difference.

The dealer should bargain enough on the 2003 to pretty much cover the difference in eventual trade in. After a few years, condition means a lot more than dates.

For two persons, the smaller dinette should be just fine. It is nice to have moving-around room in the trailer.

I like the beltline trim; I think units without it look bare.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 AM   #168
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We are on the road to QA recovery. Our 30' 2004 Classic is being taken care of at North Dallas RV. Pat and Randy are working through our list of problems.

We have had excellent coordination from the Airstream headquarters. Dave Schumann is working with us. In addition to the warranty work in Dallas, Dave has approved having the flooring replaced at the dealer of our choice.

I am so glad to have this type or support for resolution of our quality items. There is light at the end of the tunnel. This support direct from the manufacturer is one reason for our purchase compared to SOB.

We have over 10,000 miles and 10 weeks in the trailer since July. The more we use our Airstream, the more we enjoy our Airstream.

Glad to hear others are getting better initial QC and problem resolution too.

73/gus

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote