Old 10-23-2003, 12:30 AM   #127
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
I was informed that our build date will be December 9th or 16th on the Classic. Due to the plant shutdown for the holidays I was warned that the trailer may not get to the dealership until January.

Jack
Questions:

When did you order your trailer?

How long is the shutdown for?

Do you have a VIN yet?

I was told that my order would probably start during the second week of January ... but that is not official.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:46 AM   #128
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The unit specifics are located on the streetside front, there is a little square stamped piece of metal...on it, it should include, VIN, GVWR and manufac date.

I gotta call the dealer, he told me I should have a VIN by now.....and if Jack has an expected delivery date, I should at least have gotten an ultrasound by now....

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
First fix

I noticed that the window curtain was drooping at the entry door end. When I tried to snap it back, I found that the snap had been installed right up against another screw and there was no way the curtain would snap in place.

I removed 2 screws so that I could pivot the valance outward and drilled a hole to relocate the snap about 1/4 inch. The snap was wedged so tightly against the other screw that I had a very difficult time removing either one. Works fine now.

Neither the factory nor the dealer picked this one up.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:28 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Thumbs up It's like Chrismas around here!

Silvertwinkie's moving up in size!

Jack's moving up to in options and quality!

John's ditto!

And Porky is starting off with the townhouse!

Good Airstreaming to all!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 08:12 PM   #131
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.

The wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 PM   #132

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig

Questions:

When did you order your trailer?

How long is the shutdown for?

Do you have a VIN yet?

I signed my contract on Sept 27th although I don't know when the order actually went in. I turned in the Safari to my dealer on October 11th and it seems that things went into gear at that point. We got a call shortly thereafter about an interior color conflict on the order that Airstream caught. Dealer gave me dates on the trailer build on Oct 22nd.

My sales person did not know what the shutdown time was other than it was significant.

No VIN at this point.

At this point I am hitch and receiver shopping since the Classic will come in with a hitch weight greater than my factory supplied receiver on my GMC van is rated for. At this point my decision is to either go with the new Reese strait-line hitch and Titan receiver or go with an Equal-i-zer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #133
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up Got the info!!

This AM, I just received my build date info and VIN number.

The new "Silvertwinkie SS" is scheduled for production on 11/17/03!

:-)

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-24-2003, 10:37 AM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
My .02 on quality control. We were at Jackson Center on 09-29 & 09-30. While there we of course took the factory tour & my take on the issuses is what Jack brought up regarding, to many workers, materials, etc, in to small of a place, trying to make more units than the factory is designed to produce. We went thru the whole assembly line & it appeared to me that there is only the one line, with all different models be made, in no apparent order. In fact I asked how they knew what went where & the guide said that somewhere (?) they had a sheet telling what they were building. In the production line, one would be a Bambi, next would be a Safari, etc. They did allow us to enter & also take pictures of some of the shells, but once the interiors went in, then we could only look thru the windows & doors. By watching the units being born ( if you will ), it made me feel much better regarding the items one cannot see. I can't say if it is a new QC thing, but once the unit is completed it ends up in a defined area set aside by painted yellow lines. We were not allowed to enter this area or to see the finished units, being told these were sold units & that the workers were going over them for items not up to par. Seeing this it's hard for me to comprehend how units can leave with apparent visual & structural problems. I would think that those on the end of the line would see the imperfections & take the necessary corrective action. After it is all said & done I believe the final inspection area is where A/S comes up short. Short on space, to many different units on line at the same time, etc, still is NO REASON for any unit to pass the final inspection with abvious defects. After seeing all of this I still believe they put together a good RV, however--- there also appears to me they may still have problems. We did find most employees very helpful & courteous & enjoyed visiting the factory. BTW we have a 02 19' Bambi & really have had no serious problems--so far. The Bambi is now in bed for the Minnesota winter season.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #135
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Re: Got the info!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
This AM, I just received my build date info and VIN number.

The new "Silvertwinkie SS" is scheduled for production on 11/17/03!

:-)

Eric
Congrats Eric!

By my calcualations it looks like about 7 to 8 weeks from the date of your order for production to begin ... and about 4 weeks to get your VIN and production info.

Looks like you will see your new Safari well before mid-December.

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 10-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #136
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Re: Got the info!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig

Looks like you will see your new Safari well before mid-December.

This wait is killing me!
I would be a very nice surprise to be able to pick it up before mid December! First camping in the unit will be at the Jackson Center Campground.....(figure while I'm out there if there are any issues I can have them addressed and since I know there won't be any issues, to really just hang there for the factory tour!

The wait is kind of brutal, but I figure the old saying is that good things come to those who wait.....let's all hope so!

Eric
Old 10-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Smile

Great news Eric!

conceived in November...delivered in December...that's a rapid gestation. You'll be a happy daddy in no time!
Bought your baby a xmass gift yet??
Old 10-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #138
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It does go pretty quickly...

I got her some Christmans lights...

Eric
Old 10-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #139
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
More data

Ok, here is some info that I received from some owners that just took delivery of a '04 25' Safari yesterday.

From what they told me, the unit was built very well and had next to zero found flaws.

The unit build date was 6/03.

Eric
Old 10-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Things are getting better

My two Airstreams were built almost exactly 12 months apart and the difference in quality is night and day. Everyone here has surely read about all of the many problems I found in the 2003 International AS; flood, malformed door frame, miswired vent fan, etc., etc.

I have spent a week now readying my 2003 Classic, built 4/03, for my first trip. With the exception of a stain on the bathroom wall which was known at delivery and will be covered with a mirror, my total "finds" to date is one misplaced curtain snap.

To date, I am a very happy camper.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote