Old 08-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
. . .
. . . The kitchen cabinets are much heavier than what would have been originally in the trailer.
. . .
That was my guess too, and I am wondering about that new wood flooring. If it is thin pre-finished material laid on top of the AS sub-floor, that would be one thing. If however it is 3/4" thick material, the total weight could be significant.

Sarah, old Airstreams were designed to be very light, and thus aimed in that direction for all the cabinetry, flooring and so forth. If all the new-ish renovations added too much weight, then the axle weight capacity may have been exceeded IMO.

You would probably want to get a new axle anyway, but having to get a heavier duty axle will raise other structural issues in general.

A possible can of worms . . . ? [*]

Cheers,

Peter

[*] -- PS -- This Love Shack thread is a good read for a recent "shell off" renovation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ck-183431.html

The author has a very good sense of humor IMO! And is a great photographer.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Omaha , Nebraska
Floor

There is a piece of floor that has a hole through it in the bathroom, i can tell it will obviously need a new sub floor however the covering appears to be a very cheap thin laminate flooring, an axle check will now be on that list also. If yall can see anything else that may be of concern please chime in, i want to do everything correct so she will last a very long time!

SarahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A new subfloor may mean a shell-off renovation. Please read that Love Shack thread I just linked, in order to proceed with eyes wide open. If you have to pay others to do the work, you may be better off finding a newer AS you can use as-is for starters.

Peter
Old 08-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Omaha , Nebraska
Love shack

I read it, its very cool!! Im fortunate enough to have a dad that built travel trailers for 20 years, he will be of good use to me for this adventure! I love learning about how to do these things and i love doing them myself even more, theres a sense of pride in that! I dont care how long it takes me to complete as i am willing to do it right.in the mean time im always satisfied with primal tent camping!

Sarah
SarahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Gotcha . . . full speed ahead!