Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Help ID and more

I am new here. My wife and I just purchased our first Airstream. Hope to pick it up in a week.... a NEW 2008 Safari Sport 22.

For the last decade or so, I have seen this Airstream sitting a grassy field. Once in a while, the field is mowed. I was driving by today and noticed the grass had just been cut. Only had my cell phone with me and took a few pictures. I was wondering if anyone could identify the trailer from these microscopic out of focus images. I believe it belongs to an elderly couple, at least that is who I have seen near the house that is adjacent to the field. Very tempted to knock on the door and see it they would like to sell. I haven't even accepted delivery on my first AS, but I think the idea of a restoration in the backyard could be a nice long rewarding project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NESVT_AS001.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	139894   Click image for larger version

Name:	NESVT_AS002.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	139895  

Name:	NESVT_AS003.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	139896  
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Pull over, get out of the car and walk down there and get some good pictures. No teasing!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
You will never know if you don't ask! Go for it! Good luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
since you know exactly where it is, you might try using google maps for on overhead view.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
since you know exactly where it is, you might try using google maps for on overhead view.

Excellent idea! Unfortunately the resolution isn't high enough. However, it did show me two things. It's much bigger than I thought (comparing it to houses and trees in the area). Second, there is a path worn in the grass to the trailer. Maybe they use it where it sits. I plan to check it out any way. Will try to get real pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Got some great pics. Late for a noon appointment. Will post some tonight. Think it's something like 1976 Sovereign Land Yacht International.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I see all the movies where they use their amazing tech people to take a fuzzy pic and focus it into a 10 megapixel gem -- why can't AIR do this?

Jumping into this thin pool of water ... I'm not sure it's long enough to fit in the 4 curbside Sovereign windows. My 2¢ are on a late 70s Ambassador.

Getting close would tell more... just sayin'. I'd be very careful with frame & floor inspection if they've let the grass chronically grow up around it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
So it turned out I had the wrong house. Once I found the correct one, I met this incredibly friendly lady that told me the story about her and her husband's Airstream. They used it quite a bit, but now it sits out back and is used as a camp. Don't think it's getting much use. She said they never even thought about selling it, but now she's thinking. Going to talk to her again soon.

I took a few pictures. They actually have a water and electric hookup all the way out in the field. There was some grass around it, especially in the front. However, they cleared the area under it (mulch or gardener's cloth) to keep the weeds/grass away. She said the only thing she knew that was wrong with it was the door. Hinge problems. They have it held closed with a bungee cord.

It's been used. It has some scrapes. Check out the dent on top rear curb side. Peeked through the windows. Didn't look too bad inside. The underside in the rear looked okay. Lots of specks of surface rust on the frame, but they were all 2mm spots of rust. Couldn't check the front or much of anything else. Was running late and wanted to get some quick pictures of the outside.

I blurred some of the id number to protect the owners. If I'm reading it right, "I31A6-S*". So that's International, 31 foot, center bath, twin bed, 1976, made in Santa Fe Springs or Cerritos.

I have a ton of questions, but I'll try the "search" feature first. Would like to hear opinions. Thanks!

Norm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS010.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	139925   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS011.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	139926  

Name:	AS012.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	139927   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS013.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	139928  

Name:	AS014.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	139929   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS015.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	139930  

Name:	AS016.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	139931   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS017.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	139932  

Name:	AS019.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	139933   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS020.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	139934  

Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I Restored its Twin...

What would you like to know?
I will check to be sure, but I believe Airstream (Beatrice Foods at the time) produced more 1976 Sovereign 31's than any other Airstream before or since.
There are still a bunch out there.
Not a highly sought after Airstream, but roomy and easy towing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	139944  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Love those big old Airstreams.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I'm curious what these sell for in this condition. Okay, "this condition" probably can't be determined from the photos. You can see some large dents. The clear coat is rough. Assuming there isn't any major damage and the interior is in fair condition, what's a rough price/value on this thing? Ya never know. I left my contact information and may get a call. Of course, I'd have to spend some time checking everything out.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You've Got Some Might Big Dents There...

This is certainly no prize.
Been sitting in a field so you likely have mouse infestation.
Count on moisture penetration and the twin apocalypses, frame separation and rotten floors; almost givens for the rear bath Airstreams of the period.
Strangely, the axles appear to be holding up.

My wife is standing at my shoulder saying, "Run away, Norm. Run away."
I'm saying, "Go for it."

It's worth about $4,400 as it sits.

It wlll take a minimum of $8,000 to have something worth towing around.
Let's see what the others say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	139965  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
My wife is using language that involves all of the characters over the number keys.
It just looked like there might be an opportunity here. They're not using it. Don't plan to. It's just sitting there. We'll see.

I appreciate the replies and information. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
...and Alumaholic, that's a great looking Airstream you have there!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hard to tell value without a good inventory. Mine "looked" better (stored inside) and I have over 10K in addition to purchase price and am not finished.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Splitrock, can I ask where most of the cost came from?
I mean, out of the $10k, were there one or two items that made up most of the cost (frame, floor), or was it just a lot of things that added up?

I ask because it might help me focus in one or more spots. Don't even know if I will hear from them. If not, I will probably approach them again in the future. I downloaded the inspection checklist. Wanted to check the frame, floor, windows, the door problem, appliances, plumbing, etc. Based on your restoration, if you noticed specific areas with issues that resulted in costly repairs, I would check twice.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
My trailer was licensed and in use the day I bought it. The owner was packing it for a trip. He kept it in a shed when it wasn't in use or parked at the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. His brother had bought it new. The trailer did have some deferred maintenance and needed some repairs. I bought it as is, untested.

As I looked the trailer over, much was either filthy, ugly, or broken. My wife didn't like any of the appliances, furniture, curtains, or shades. Some things I replaced without testing, like the water heater, furnace, and refrigerator. It all came out.

I started with replacing the air conditioner, removing the three roof vents and adding Fantastic fans, replacing all the window and door gaskets, tinting the windows, repaired the frame, replaced parts of the wood floor deck, laid Allure flooring, replaced the plumbing, water heater, oven/range, furnace, refrigerator, sink, cabinets, bathroom walls, counter tops, replaced all the gas lines and shut offs, new tires, wheel bearings, grease seals, all new clearance lights, all new tail light lenses, new 7-way fuse panel, new 7-way socket, new 7-way umbilical, new tongue jack.

For the go and tow, I bought a new hitch, rock guards, and extended mirrors.

Left to do is a new jack knife sofa, recliner, side table, curtains, bed pedestal & mattress, front window rock guard, new awning material, strip and buff exterior, and one spare wheel for the tire I bought last year.

My total budget was $14,000. That's about the cost of this trailer when it was new. I'll be over that figure. I've done all the labor myself, except I hired a guy to mount and balance the new tires on the rims.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'm a pretty good welder. I welded the frame repair myself. I still need a new battery, two rear stabilizers, new sewer hoses, and a television antenna. Things add up pretty fast. I finished the cabinets with Sherwin Williams pre-cat over SW vinyl sealer, over Gemini lacquer stain. That stuff was over $300 by itself. I still need to make and finish the refrigerator panels, the bed pedestal, bed side tables and one wall cabinet over the big bedside table. That'll take another $300 in finishing materials.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Thanks Splitrock. I was checking your blog. WOW. Thanks for posting your progress and the great images. I'm a bit awestruck. I have some skills, but nothing like what you're demonstrating. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
This project was different than fixing up a house. With a house I could hire help to get it finished from any point. With this trailer project, it was just me all the way. I felt the risk as soon as I tore out all of the interior. It wasn't worth a lot when I bought it but I knew when I gutted it, I had cut the resale in half.

The pressure was on. I wanted to get the trailer finished before I had a stroke or broke my leg. There was a point where I had it all torn up, not much fixed, and most of the money spent with all new fixtures and appliances sitting in the shop. I've seen more than a few of these trailers gutted like mine was and never finished. I knew if I didn't finish it in a good way and in good time, it could be sold by my sons for a couple grand, just to get it out of the yard, if I'd die or become disabled before the project was finished.

And . . . it's a HUGE project. It'd be easy to become uninterested before it was completed. This summer I've forced myself to stay on schedule. The heat stopped me most of July. I fixed that by installing a rather large air conditioner in the shop. That let me finish the cabinets and countertops. The cool shop will be nice in future years for future projects too.

Now . . . I have to connect the water to the kitchen sink and run the gas line to the oven/range to be at my planned stopping point for this season. I may get more done, depending on the weather and my business.