Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
Thanks again Chris,

I think that once I find the right trailer and am ready to go forward with all of this, I'll probably end up in the market for a Jeep which would make the most sense... and hey, I hear the Grand Wagoneer is being revived next year, not bad timing!

As to campsite storage, do you mean that it would be kept outdoors at a sort of 'parking lot site' or regular campground amongst other weekenders, and if so, would there be any oversight required? The problem is the winters here in Eastern Canada. I'm not even sure if the campgrounds are open to the public year-round, nor how an antique Airstream would stand against our icy, snowy, windy, cold seasons, and whether it'd be a good idea to put it through all that. I'm imagining it covered in rust and surface body/structural damage come the spring. Unless of course there are indoor storage facilities for the off-season... I'd even be willing to store it Stateside if there were more options nearby. I'm not far from either the New York or Vermont borders, but of course our seasons are really not that different. In fact, I think you guys caught the short end this winter! Is it also a smart idea to leave it for several months unattended and publically accessible to everyone? I think I'd be worried about vandalism or break ins; maybe that's just the cynical city dweller typing...

As to maintenance and restoration, I definitely plan to put a lot of thought and care towards the structure and mechanics first, before aesthetic renos... but am very excited about this whole impulse and hope that by next summer I'll join the ranks of vintage vacationists here!!
OliverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
Y'know, I have one more question about the Trade Wind model that I've been trying to gather from photos online... It looks like the layout opens into a very small sitting or possible den area (depending on how it's refurbished) with a limited kitchen and counter space separating the back end of the corridor-like space from the bathroom in the rear. Can anyone tell me whether the sleeping area exists in this space to the rear of the 'kitchen' or as I've seen in certain photos, directly opposite the counter space? What size fold-out would this space generally be able to accommodate, and does anyone know roughly the sq. footage of the bathroom, just to give me a better concept overall of the layout and space of the trailer? Finally, what material is used for the build of the interior structure - (ie. walls, ceiling)?

Thanks!!

PS - Does it take a lot to get used to driving with one of these things hitched behind your vehicle, and how significantly does it slow down travel time? Are you travelling at roughly 1/4 your avg. speed?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Oliver,

Take a look at the information on this site: Airstream, Inc :: Specs - 1970 It may answer many of your questions.

Regarding your travel speed, it depends on how fast you drive now. Some states limit your speed to 55 MPH. We travel at 55 to 60 MPH and average about 50 for the day.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
Thanks very much!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
I've been reading through the specifications on Trade Wind models between 1966-1968 and am wondering what the biggest differences are between the '66 - '67 - '68 models? Were there any variances or aesthetcal differences in the body design?

Also, do you think that jumping up to an Overlander model would be a significant increase in size? It only affords an extra 2' but I'm thinking more in terms of practicalities as mentioned earlier (forest camping, city maneuvering) - is it something to consider or would this be inching closer to what might be considered a full-sized camper?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #26
x

XXXX , XXXX
Oliver the type of campsite I am talking about is rented on a seasonal basis I.E. it is parked on a camping lot with usually full hookups(power,water and sewer) and the campgrounds are usually open between 5 to 6 months of the year. The rest of the year the trailer is just left on the lot(winter storage) until the next season. My campers are able to come up off season and check on their trailers and shovel the snow off the roof. Airstreams are made of aluminium and don't rust and the curved roof helps with snow dispersal. They will not collapse from the weight of the snow. I'm in the snow belt region of Ontario so I see quite a bit of snow here. My trailer has spent it's entire life outside(38yrs) and has never been damaged by snow in any way.
Indoor storage will run you at least $100 per month while winter storage at a campground is usually $100 for the six months. Depending on where you locate the trailer will determine if there is any threat of theft/vandalism. I personally have never had any issues of that kind here. Some of my campers don't even lock the door to the trailer for the winter so I do think it's just a cynical city thing.
Talking about the Jeep find out it's towing capabilities and compare it to the weight of the trailer you would like to get. You don't want to get too close to the maximum towing limits but leave yourself some room below weight limits. Like I said it's all about control not power. There are plenty of threads here discussing towing set ups so just start reading and you will have a lot more insight towards your vehicle choice.
I was just looking at the 65/66 tradewind layouts on Airstream website and the bathroom probably is no more than 32sqft(4'long front to back and 8' wide side to side). There are two layouts. A double bed with vanity or two twin beds. The double would probably be 75" x 48" and the two twins each would be 75" x 30".
The inner panels that is the inside of the shell is aluminium and is painted in the 60's models and vinyl clad in the 70's models. The bulkheads(interior dividing walls) are usually wood only 1/8" thick. Cabinets and furniture in the 60's models are wood and aluminium framed and panelled in the 70's models.
Towing does take some getting used to but Airsteams tow the best of all trailers. Slighly slower speeds, leaving greater distances for stopping, wider turns and of course learning how to back up are all that is to it. Once you have it all set up go to an industrial park on a sunday and practice manouvering and backing up before setting off on your maiden voyage.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Montreal , Quebec
Thank you so much for all of that info Chris, it's been a huge help!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Hello OliverB,
You have asked many good questions, and there have been many good responses. However, in the end, experience might be the best way for you to get a feel for whether or not this type of recreation is for you. I completely agree with wasagachris that you should first rent a unit and try it out before plunging in head first. Good luck.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post
Thanks TBRich... you snuck your post in befor eI could respond but I appreciate your suggestions!

Are portable generators a viable option? speaking of sewage and flush toilets... how exactly does THIS work in an Airstream? I'd really like to refashion and customize to best suit our own independance, without having to rely on public use of facilities as I'd really love to be as sustainable as possible and preferably avoid the larger public campsites (if at all possible) in favor of more remote forested areas that don't draw crowds. If it were only possible to 'modernize' (albeit not aesthetically speaking) in order to accommodate all these conveniences, it would truly be fantastic!
Yes, portable generators are very viable alternatives when you need them...many of us here use them... The most highly recommended brands are Hondas and Yamahas...there are many threads here that discuss the ins and outs of generators. Modern Airstreams have three tanks...one for fresh water, one for grey water (waste water from kitchen sink, vanity and shower) and one for black water (sewage). Older models may not have a grey water tank, but they can be retrofitted. Different sizes of trailers have different capacities of tanks. OUr 19' for instance has about 21 gal of fresh water (which we run out of first), 20 gal gray and 18 black. We can go about a week without dumping our black water and grey water if we are mindful of the length of showers and dish-washing. The grey and black tanks are isolated by seals and such so they do not smell if everything is as it should be. And breakdown of sewage and odors can be managed chemically if necessary (most necessary in warm weather, of course). We tend to use showers in a campground if they have them, because then we can take longer showers and not worry about usage and filling up the gray tank...but we always use our own toilet...some on the other hand, tend not to use their toilets at all (which I'm not sure I understand)...I guess it's a personal preference, but Airstreams are completely capable of being self-sufficient in that area.

You mentioned freezers in another post. We have a relatively small frig with a freezer compartment in it... we can get quite a bit of frozen food in it. Another thing we do is freeze things ahead of time, and leave them in the frig compartment to help cool and to thaw slowly so that by the time we re ready to use them they are thawed and ready...that allows us to take other frozen foods in the freezer. Don't forget, too, that you can usually buy some supplies on the way to (or not far from) your camp, depending on where you are, of course. We also use a cooler on longer trips to store less perishable items and lots of ice.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
.., 40 of gray water (shower and sinks), ...
One other thing to keep in mind...anything older than a 1973ish 'stream originally has "0" gallons of gray water capacity...this means you will need an exterior roll-around tank to catch the sink and shower water.

Since the Original Poster (OP) was askin 'bout early '60's TW...that might be a point to consider...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote