Old 08-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You're one sick puppy. Just keep it away from orange barrels!

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Brett:

I can't wait to see the all the photos you are sending to Rich; I'll be parked over his shoulder.

Excellent galley! The Monel stainless steel top should brighten up nicely and that aluminum base should polish out real well. The low aluminum base to the right of the galley looks like its for the arm of the three piece front divan. Here's a 1948 Trailwind floor plan; I bet yours was close to this originally:

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I guess the front Divan was REALLY narrow from a seating standpoint then. There cant be more than 18 inches between the floor frames that are in the picture of the kitchen, Unless the whole thing sat up on these bases. The one by the sink base comes out 6 or 7 inches past the face frame of the sink base. Do you know if there is a missing cross member where the floor is missing? It would seem like there should be one, but I did not see any evidence of one.

I plan on towing it home on a flatbed, it needs a new frame for sure. So It will be protected from barrels. And just as an FYI the MH has a zip dee main awning now and it DOES clear the barrels......

Also luck has nothing to do with it, stubborness is what it took. That and ceaseless searching. So yeah, I AM sick.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I guess the front Divan was REALLY narrow from a seating standpoint then. There cant be more than 18 inches between the floor frames that are in the picture of the kitchen, Unless the whole thing sat up on these bases. The one by the sink base comes out 6 or 7 inches past the face frame of the sink base. Do you know if there is a missing cross member where the floor is missing? It would seem like there should be one, but I did not see any evidence of one.
Ah, I didn't notice how far out that "L" base came, thanks for pointing that out. I now think there may have been a semi circular bed across the entire front, the same as across the back end in the floor plan but perhaps a foot less deep (front window to front edge) than at the rear. And the 18" wide open space between the front bases may have contained a slide out aluminum drawer that rests on the floor, as seen at the rear in the floor plan, hence no cross member needed there. That's the set up in my '48 Wee Wind. The front semi circular bed is 3' deep while the rear one is 4' deep, but only the rear bed has a drawer underneath it. The bed is a framed box spring that easily supports itself across the 18" wide drawer space.

A second possibility is there was a dinette up front. Is there any evidence a table was mounted just underneath the front window? That would be a very practical floor plan.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I think it may have been a dinette....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039r2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	24499  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
awesome Brett, terrific find.. takes nerve and guts to tackle but it will be great when done.
Oh did I foget also--- bucks.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
awesome Brett, terrific find.. takes nerve and guts to tackle but it will be great when done.
Oh did I foget also--- bucks.
Nerve and guts are in abundant supply, the bucks thing, not so much. But I can do it as I have the cash flow necessary to make it right. I am working on a budget for the project now.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #22
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
if you work on it at the pace i've been working on my 18 footer, it's sorta "financed" over... well... 2 years now, and i haven't even GOTTEN to the expensive part. that's the one downside... they all start out cheap... then the parts get more expensive as you go on...

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote