Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #29
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
My first idea was to cleco the cage together and let it weld by a professional, but the offers are above 400 Euro only for the welding.



So I decided, to connect the tubes with stainless angles and rivets.



Tom
__________________

__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #30
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
By the way - I am looking for an airstream nameplate for my trailer, but the shipping costs of 15 $ (to Michigan) are higher than the cost for the plate itself at silver trailer supply.



A friend in Michigan can it send to me in Germany via mail. Is there any supplier where I can get one without paying 30 dollars for a small plate including shipping ?

Thank you - Tom
__________________

__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #31
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
Next I cut my first 0.6 mm stainless sheet for the rear shell.
I drilled holes every 50 mm (2 inches) all around, deburred all and clamped the sheet to the frame.



Then I drilled thru the holes into the frame and fixed all with clecos.



Tom
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Did you try have the name plate mailed in a postal envelope? Have the seller do that instead of "shipping."
__________________
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
JimGolden's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Images: 7
Thomas,

I also ride motorcycles, and must say that you are building the best looking motorcycle camper I have ever seen.

A few years ago, I was camping in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and some guys were there with pop up canvas campers behind their motorcycles. That night, a 60-70mph (100-115kph) windstorm came up as it often does. It blew the their trailers away! For real! I saw this. At least, the canvas portion of their trailers blew off and blew out to sea. I talked to them the next morning....one of them came down in a car, and they said they all got scared, and got in the one guy's car. Tents do not do well in the OBX. I always put my awnings up before retiring for the night.

Anyway, your "Mini-Airstream" is Mega-Cool and will survive the wind storms just fine.

Outstanding work!
__________________
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #34
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Did you try have the name plate mailed in a postal envelope? Have the seller do that instead of "shipping."
I try to ask to send in in an envelope !
Possibly direct to me.

Here inside Germany a box up to 65 lb and max. 2 x 2 x 4 ft big will be shipped via postal service within 3 days for 7 Euros - your US shipping rates are like our gas prices
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #35
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Thomas,

I also ride motorcycles, and must say that you are building the best looking motorcycle camper I have ever seen.

A few years ago, I was camping in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and some guys were there with pop up canvas campers behind their motorcycles. That night, a 60-70mph (100-115kph) windstorm came up as it often does. It blew the their trailers away! For real! I saw this. At least, the canvas portion of their trailers blew off and blew out to sea. I talked to them the next morning....one of them came down in a car, and they said they all got scared, and got in the one guy's car. Tents do not do well in the OBX. I always put my awnings up before retiring for the night.

Anyway, your "Mini-Airstream" is Mega-Cool and will survive the wind storms just fine.

Outstanding work!
Thanks a lot for your compliments, Jim.

Some of my mates in the MotoCampers forum like their tent trailers very much, but in the storm they are only big sails !

I hope to see the outer banks sometime in my life - I do they know only from Nicholas Sparks books and movies.

Tom
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
After deburring all drilled holes I cut my first window into the stern.



Tom
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
bolerama's Avatar
 
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 754
Images: 30
Blog Entries: 6
Your trailer is awesome! I hope you realize that you will be giving tours everywhere you go! I really hope I get to see this one day. We will briefly be in Bavaria this summer and I will be scanning every road.

By the way, if you think postage in the US is bad, you should see what we pay in Canada. And now our government is considering stopping door-to-door delivery. Good grief!

Lisa
__________________
Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #38
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Your trailer is awesome! I hope you realize that you will be giving tours everywhere you go! I really hope I get to see this one day. We will briefly be in Bavaria this summer and I will be scanning every road.

By the way, if you think postage in the US is bad, you should see what we pay in Canada. And now our government is considering stopping door-to-door delivery. Good grief!

Lisa
Hi Lisa, thank you

Shipping an envelope with a nameplate costs here only 2 Euro !
Inside Germany from post agency to clients door 4 Euro a box up to 2 kg.
7 Euro up to 32 kg.
And all the webshops normally take 7 Euro from their clients for shipping.

When and where are you in Bavaria this summer?

I noticed, you own a Boler - do you know the "Lander Graziella 300" ?
It's a similar italian tiny 10 ft egg. I made the picture in Croatia 2010.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6514k.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	208080  
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #39
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
My next task was the right sidewall and the roof segment above.



Tom
__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #40
Wallaby Builder
 
pan-european's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Deggendorf , Bavaria
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80
by the way - I didn't show our "fullsize" trailer yet.
It's a 15" Eriba Touring "Troll O" built in 1977.
700 kg empty and 900 kg max. weight.
Steel frame, aluminum skin and fiberglass roof with lifting section.
Photo waiting for the ferry during our tour to the italian island Sardinia last summer.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eriba Troll O 1977.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	208083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eriba_1967_Troll_O.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	208084  

__________________
Ford Focus TDCI Pininfarina Convertible and 14' Eriba Troll
Honda ST 1100 and 7' Airstream Calypso
pan-european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Colin H's Avatar
 
1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan-european View Post
By the way - I am looking for an airstream nameplate for my trailer, but the shipping costs of 15 $ (to Michigan) are higher than the cost for the plate itself at silver trailer supply.



A friend in Michigan can it send to me in Germany via mail. Is there any supplier where I can get one without paying 30 dollars for a small plate including shipping ?

Thank you - Tom
Did you try Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers! ?
Colin

PS Nice work!
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
JimGolden's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Images: 7
Brakes?

Tom,

I have never towed a trailer behind a motorcycle myself. I was wondering, does the trailer have brakes?

I've seen lots of trailers behind bikes, but I've never gotten down close enough to see if they had brakes or not. Just wondering.

take care,
__________________

__________________
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1972 Airstream Safari 23 - California Darcy Savoca Airstream Classifieds 0 02-18-2014 06:45 PM
2012 Airstream Sport 22 - Georgia jrog Airstream Classifieds 0 02-17-2014 04:48 PM
Airstream Rental for Airstream Owners ONLY jverduzco Airstream Lifestyle 34 12-26-2012 01:18 PM
Solid 31' AirStream FULL STAINLESS STEEL EXT! ORIGINAL! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-10-2011 07:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.