Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
Stuckon1968

Hello classic owners! New guy here.

Hi there guys and gals,
I am brand new to this group. I hope to get some direction and some real world advice on purchasing a 68 vintage Airstream.
I am just finishing up on a 10 year long frame off restoration of a 1968 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban, this truck was my parents truck and I pretty much grew up in it from camping trips in the Sierra Nevada to learning how to drive in it. Growing up my parents had a 20' Terry trailer that we all camped with, but personally I have always liked the Airstreem.
So, here I am with a newly finished restored stock 68 3/4 ton Suburban, and now I want to see about getting a vintage Airstream to pull behind it.
I guess at this point what I want to know is this; what kind of investment am I looking at to get into a 68 vintage small to medium sized Airstream that is in need of minor restoration. One that is ready to camp with, but could use some work to make it show quality like my truck? I would really like to have one that I could use and take to shows with my truck as a "complete camping package"?

Thanks for any input!

Sincerely,
Chris

Old 04-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Oregon City , Oregon
Talking 68 Burb

I'll save you the trouble of finding an Airstream, just sell your Burbon to me!
Have any photos, if so please post.
D

Old 04-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello classic owners! New guy here

Greetings Chris!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
I guess at this point what I want to know is this; what kind of investment am I looking at to get into a 68 vintage small to medium sized Airstream that is in need of minor restoration. One that is ready to camp with, but could use some work to make it show quality like my truck?
A good place to start is the Vintage Price vs. Condition page on R. J. Dial's website. This page takes you through some general price guidelines as well as some typical restoration/refurbishment considerations. The '68 models were part of a three-year production cycle that included the Corning Tempered Curved Glass windows among a few other features unique to that series. Your restored Suburban with a similar Vintage Airstream should make quite a striking combination - - a member of the Vintage Airstream Club has a '63 Suburban that he restored to tow his '63 Airstream (Trade Wind if my memory is correct).

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:24 PM   #4
Stuckon1968

Smile The 68 Burb

Since there was a request to see it, I have inculded a link to a little home page I put together a couple years ago. Since then I haven't scanned any newer pictures of it, but at least you can get an idea of what I have for a Suburban.

http://hometown.aol.com/vectorit/index.html

If when you click on the link and it doesn't work, just copy and paste it to your browser.

Happy motoring!

Chris
Old 05-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Vintage Airstream Classifieds..

I hate to send people away from this Forum, because it is so wonderful...

But the Vintage Airstream Club has probably the best classifieds going... Check out http://www.airstream.net/classifieds/index.php for listings of over 110 vintage Airstream trailers for sale... There are 44 today between 1958 and 1968, and many are under $5K in "Good" condition (Roughly translates to no actual openings in skin you can put fist through, and no visible dead animals in interior...). Theres' a 67 Tradewind 25' in Delaware for under $3K, and a few others in ballpark without photo's..

There are variety of hauler options to get remote trailer home, and members here around country often willing to take look at sale trailer and provide gross condition report... (Beware, some may turn into competing buyers, they're so passionate..). May be cheaper to put on transporter than to drive halfway across country, though I zoomed 1800 miles from Northern Calif to Texas in 2 1/2 days to bring our trailer home last summer...

From there, costs to restore scale to your personal tastes... If you can't tolerate mismatched wheels or skins or improper appliances or carpeting when hardwood laminates are available, then you can drop $500 per linear foot in a heartbeat... Many members simply keep reminding each other that any upgrade or restoration is "better than spending $40 or 50K on a new one.." If you're handy, skilled and tool-endowed, then you can have a show-mobile for a lot less, and enjoy it a lot more...

I'm more of a fan of private listings on VAC or other sites than e-bay auctions, due to time pressure, potential for phony bidders and games etc that could mean disaster on e-bay... Clearly a good environment for practicing the Caveat Emptor mantra, and practicing deep controlled breathing..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban1968
...Since there was a request to see it, I have included a link to a little home page I put together a couple years ago...
Wow! you really are treating that truck right. I like your eye for detail. I lifted a few words from your webpage that Airstreamers considering personally doing a total restoration should keep in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris's webpage
The best advice I can give to someone getting ready to restore their old truck? Three BIG things... Money, Time, Space. Expect to use huge amounts of all three. Even if you can do most of the labor, you will still need time and space to do your project. Probably the biggest thing to abide by, is stick with your original plan!!! Do not deviate,or you will never get your project finished.
Good luck in your search for a '68 Airstream

Tom