Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

HaulGauge Bluetooth OBD2

Has anyone used this product https://www.haulgauge.com/weight-distribution/
firemed509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
No, but I just purchased one. Good reviews on Amazon.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
No, I haven't used one of these, but thanks for the heads up. This device can be very useful to anyone towing a trailer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
No, but I just purchased one. Good reviews on Amazon.

UncleBad, let us know what you think.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Too Old School here....

....I don't think it would not add anything to our CAT scaled rig.
It also appears to be using ball park sticker weights. 🤔

Plus, Sandra's smart phone is still in second grade and would require replacement...👎

Bob...the old fart.😂
🇺🇸
Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
....I don't think it would not add anything to our CAT scaled rig.

It also appears to be using ball park sticker weights. [emoji848]

Plus, Sandra's smart phone is still in second grade and would require replacement...[emoji107]

Bob...the old fart.[emoji23]

[emoji631]

I think that’s a double negative there... but I think I get your drift Bob. It does use a VIN database to get data about your vehicle but you can “calibrate” it.

Plugged it in last night and it figured out which truck I had. Will play with it once’s it’s light outside and work is out of the way.

It is amazing how much vehicle data is available via modern OBDII ports - excited to see what it does with it all.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I’d be interested in how it works with a 3/4T TV. When setting up my Propride the fender heights didn’t change much when adding the trailer weight or when cranking on the WD jacks.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Interested to learn how this works with a Pro-pride hitch. If anyone has any experience to share, please do!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Can you program actual weights?

I have used 'O' rings on my Hitch'n rods to mark fender height difference.
At the scales,(usually once a year), I have never had to make more than two full turns on the haha jack to get it exact, even then you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

All the data I need runs thru the seat of my pants, eye balls, ear drums into the grey cells and on to the controls.
But if data makes you feel better, go for it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_185d.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	335116  
Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Interested to learn how this works with a Pro-pride hitch. If anyone has any experience to share, please do!
I asked if they had a procedure for using it with the Hensley/Propride hitches. Here is the response I got back and my reply:

Hi Al,
Thanks for the question. We have had a weight distribution hitch project going on for sometime at Hall Logic, so we are very familiar with the Hensley and Pro Pride style hitches.

Here is what I suggest:
  1. App asks the user to get the ball mount in place under the trailer tongue. This would equate to having the stinger latched, but jack still holding trailer and WD not engaged.
  2. App asks for the trailer jack to come up, placing all trailer weight on the tongue. This is where Hensley and ProPride would want the user to engage WD. The HaulGauge app needs the jack to come up, and WD to be loose.
  3. App asks for WD to be engaged, and jack come up (final position). The Henslsey/PropPride user could then raise the trailer with the jack, engage WD, then lower the trailer, and get the proper reading.
I presume “to engage WD” should read “back the TV to engage the stinger to the hitch, lock the stinger to the hitch with the over-center latches, and lower the tongue with the jack. At this point the WD jacks should be lowered so that the WD bars are hanging loosely” or words to that effect.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess the point is that the HaulGauge is compatible with the Hensley-style hitches.

Thanks,

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Noticed in the Amazon comments that there is a known issue with HaulGauge getting weights correct with Toyota Vehicles.

Anyone using it with a Tacoma or a Tundra?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Tested the WD function today which is in beta, after calibrating the app to my rig.

My 1500 bars seem to do the trick - 9 links. Attachment 335190

Here is what the picture means, from the app author.

“The screenshot you sent shows the WD hitch is working properly (i.e. it is transferring weight to the front axle). The green bars show where you want your setup to be (in terms of load), and you're very close. To change the loading, you would have to adjust the WD hitch load bars (most products can't do adjustments fine enough to get closer to the green bars than your setup is right now).

Each of the three sliders you see shows the relative weight on the (from left to right) front axle, rear axle, and trailer axle. If you were to set up the trailer without the WD hitch, it would put a large weight on the rear axle and negative weight on the front axle.

The goal is to bring the front axle load back to zero, i.e. back to where it was before the trailer was hooked up. This is what we show with the green bars in the app.”
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Interesting app. However most of the trucks we tow with have manufacturer statements that the target for the front axle is NOT to get it back to the non towing weight but typically state a 50% target of the difference, usually in fender measurements.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
They did mention the measurements are relative - I will take a before and after next time.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Interesting app. However most of the trucks we tow with have manufacturer statements that the target for the front axle is NOT to get it back to the non towing weight but typically state a 50% target of the difference, usually in fender measurements.
That may very well be true, but in all the combo's Iv'e been involved with helping set up, regardless of the 50% manufacturer admonition, the rig towed better the closer you got to the TV alone measurements and/or weights.
Could it be that the 50% is being advised because of design?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
HaulGauge Bluetooth OBD2

Here are some before and after screenshots of the WD measurements screen in HaulGauge.

On the ball only, no WD applied:

Name:	IMG_8772.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	335401

After attaching the WD bars of the Blue Ox Swaypro:

Name:	IMG_8775.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	335402

The measurements are relative. You want to get as close as you can to the green markers.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Noticed in the Amazon comments that there is a known issue with HaulGauge getting weights correct with Toyota Vehicles.

Anyone using it with a Tacoma or a Tundra?

I have a 2015 Tundra and it recognized my vin and appears to be working correctly
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Here are some before and after screenshots of the WD measurements screen in HaulGauge.

On the ball only, no WD applied:
Attachment 335401

After attaching the WD bars of the Blue Ox Swaypro:
Attachment 335402

The measurements are relative. You want to get as close as you can to the green markers.
Interesting, so... 100lb +- is ok?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

I asked if they had a procedure for using it with the Hensley/Propride hitches. Here is the response I got back and my reply:

Hi Al,
Thanks for the question. We have had a weight distribution hitch project going on for sometime at Hall Logic, so we are very familiar with the Hensley and Pro Pride style hitches.

Here is what I suggest:
  1. App asks the user to get the ball mount in place under the trailer tongue. This would equate to having the stinger latched, but jack still holding trailer and WD not engaged.
  2. App asks for the trailer jack to come up, placing all trailer weight on the tongue. This is where Hensley and ProPride would want the user to engage WD. The HaulGauge app needs the jack to come up, and WD to be loose.
  3. App asks for WD to be engaged, and jack come up (final position). The Henslsey/PropPride user could then raise the trailer with the jack, engage WD, then lower the trailer, and get the proper reading.
I presume “to engage WD” should read “back the TV to engage the stinger to the hitch, lock the stinger to the hitch with the over-center latches, and lower the tongue with the jack. At this point the WD jacks should be lowered so that the WD bars are hanging loosely” or words to that effect.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess the point is that the HaulGauge is compatible with the Hensley-style hitches.

Thanks,

Al

Al,
Not sure I'm understanding your question. My simplistic read of the reply. At step 1, you have backed the TV into the hitch and applied the over center latches. At this point, the WD jacks have not been tensioned and tongue jack is down. At step 2, you simply raise the tongue jack - still not applying any tension on the WD jack. At step three, lower the tongue jack to remove the load from your TV, apply normal tension to the WD bars, re-raise the tongue jack - ready for travel.
Are you reading the response differently?
I spent over 30 years working in IT. I eventually learned to take user specifications on what they want at face value, not what I "thought" they meant... There were still discrepancies, but not as large.

Interesting that they state "most products can't do adjustments fine enough to get closer to the green bars than your setup is right now". I expect Propride and Hensley hitches CAN get closer to the "ideal" setting.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Interesting, so... 100lb +- is ok?

Bob

[emoji631]

My take is that the tool probably just isn’t that accurate.