Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Getting back into camping with a AS vs. Others?

Hello, My wife and I are still debating on getting back into camping along with my son and his family starting out. My history has been from pop ups to TT's to MH's and all have had storage for fishing rods, chairs, outdoor cooking utensils, and various other items that we don't want to drag indoors. My son and family have been searching all models and brands including AS's and in talking he asked about their lack of storage.
I am still "hooked" on the 34'ers as I do spend more time indoors then before but they are just starting out and doing the smart thing by searching and researching companies history and problems. They are searching for a family trailer that is less then 30' and can be pulled with a hd 1/2 ton GMC. The storage is the one thing he remembers in our TT's because he fished constantly and never had to come inside to get his gear but in a AS, where do you hide the goodies?
I know neither like the toy hauler editions and we know the cost of AS is double plus most other models but the quality makes them the leader but storage is huge. We both will be hauling outboard boat motors, fuel cans and grills,smokers and chairs but without using the rear of our trucks(we have large dogs) where can these things be stored easily?
Please understand I want them to buy the best from beginning but also want a trailer that they can just hook up and go......not take 2 days to load and unload each time.
Thank you for your opinions in advance.
BTW.....We are from Mich/Ohio line area.
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
It sounds like you or your son may not be committed enough to the AS brand to overlook its limitations. Every brand has its good and bad points and often compromise is in order. They (you) might be better off renting an AS or buying a used unit versus buying a new one from the start to see if it will work for you. I've have had my share of RVs before I purchased a used AS and renovated it to suit my needs. The nice thing about AS' s is that you can change them because of the way they are constructed. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision...
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I hope you don't drive long-range with the dogs in the back of an open pickup bed. It's hard and cruel on dogs.
It's true, AS does not have large external-storage availability. I installed addt'l under-floor tubes (a la sewer-pipe storage) to hold fishing rods, etc. But outboard motors and fuel go in the bed of my pickup which has a hard (Bak-Flip F1) tonneau cover for weatherproofing and security. (My dogs were always taught to lie on the floorboards and only occasionally they sit up and look out the windows...then go back to laying down. They never were allowed on the seats.... being as children, once you allow the rule to be broken they will always test you on it.)
Beware: Some auto floorboards can become uncomfortably hot due to improperly-shielded exhaust systems. Keep an eye out for that possibility.
Flying debris, bugs, etc. can damage dogs eyes when they ride outdoors or with heads out windows. The sun can make pickup beds scorchingly hot and burn feet/pads, even when a breeze is blowing. Their your dogs... but mine were also my family members.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
It sounds like you or your son may not be committed enough to the AS brand to overlook its limitations. Every brand has its good and bad points and often compromise is in order. They (you) might be better off renting an AS or buying a used unit versus buying a new one from the start to see if it will work for you. I've have had my share of RVs before I purchased a used AS and renovated it to suit my needs. The nice thing about AS' s is that you can change them because of the way they are constructed. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision...
Thank you for your advice and ideas. If I had never purchased that motor home, I would be in the position to buy a new TT now because that Pinnacle was a "Money Pit"((Interior was great, chassis, rear axle and holding tanks were junk)).
I will never rent but always looking at the 34's and dreaming. I know my wife and I and dogs would make that model work for us.
As for my son and family,I want him to get the taste of camping and finding what fits them. I agree AS is not for everyone but if you want a TT to last a lifetime, it is the only one I have seen.
They are young and with a growing family, AS might not be what fits their needs.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
[QUOTE=Boxite;1857875]I hope you don't drive long-range with the dogs in the back of an open pickup bed. It's hard and cruel on dogs.

Boy did I goof up when I described our set ups with our 4 legged friends. We both have custom caps that are carpeted for our dogs to ride in style. I would be the first to warn or report anyone I saw with dogs chained in the back of open moving trucks. We treat our dogs as family and get very upset seeing people neglecting any animal. Thank you for caring!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeo62 View Post
Hello, My wife and I are still debating on getting back into camping along with my son and his family starting out. My history has been from pop ups to TT's to MH's and all have had storage for fishing rods, chairs, outdoor cooking utensils, and various other items that we don't want to drag indoors. My son and family have been searching all models and brands including AS's and in talking he asked about their lack of storage.
I am still "hooked" on the 34'ers as I do spend more time indoors then before but they are just starting out and doing the smart thing by searching and researching companies history and problems. They are searching for a family trailer that is less then 30' and can be pulled with a hd 1/2 tonmn GMC. The storage is the one thing he remembers in our TT's because he fished constantly and never had to come inside to get his gear but in a AS, where do you hide the goodies?
I know neither like the toy hauler editions and we know the cost of AS is double plus most other models but the quality makes them the leader but storage is huge. We both will be hauling outboard boat motors, fuel cans and grills,smokers and chairs but without using the rear of our trucks(we have large dogs) where can these things be stored easily?
Please understand I want them to buy the best from beginning but also want a trailer that they can just hook up and go......not take 2 days to load and unload each time.
Thank you for your opinions in advance.
BTW.....We are from Mich/Ohio line area.
Put all that stuff in or on the truck, that's what it's for.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
One of the main reasons we went with a 25' rear twin was the large rear storage accessible from out side. It where all my wife's fly fishing gear goes- and she has a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"We both will be hauling outboard boat motors, fuel cans and grills,smokers and chairs but without using the rear of our trucks(we have large dogs) where can these things be stored easily?
Please understand I want them to buy the best from beginning but also want a trailer that they can just hook up and go......not take 2 days to load and unload each time."

The only Airstream that would fit these requirements would be the PanAmerica 34 produced in limited quantities some years ago. Basically a light toy hauler. Most people would not be satisfied carrying family and pets and towing this heavily loaded with a half-ton truck, your GMC HD may or may not work for you.

Airstream longevity is highly dependent on a very good inspection and maintenance routine. Things can break and leak and need repair, and it is more likely with heavy duty use. The good news is they are always repairable and worth the effort. With excellent care and reasonable use they will last a lifetime.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you need a reason to justify another purchase decision it seems like you have it formed up. I would not personally haul boat motors and gas cans around in my trailer and would think about another alternative. Lifestyle is a personal thing as is how you make purchase decisions. No one including airstream owners will have an opinion about it either way - it's just me but I say buy what you really need that fits your lifestyle and most of all have a great time camping and boating!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Fishing poles and tackle box, along with charcoal, tools, rake, dish antenna, cable, table, water hose, power cord, wheel chocks, trailer aid ramp, charcoal chimney go under the bed in the storage compartment accessed through a hatch at the rear of the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
It sounds like you need a toy hauler style trailer! Or let the dogs ride with all the stuff or in the Airstream. Then again you could put the outboards and gas cans in plastic totes and slide them through the Airstream door! There is quite a lot of storage in an Airstream if you use the nooks and crannies. My problem is taking too much stuff and it's surprising how the weight can add up! There are some all aluminum horse/living trailers out there that I've thought I could live with after minor remodeling. I'm sure if you look around you will find something suitable. I'm sure an all metal trailer will have a longer lifespan than wood frame ones. Good design that keeps rain out is something important to look for.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Every rig is a compromise. For all the good things about Airstreams they are sorely lacking in storage and carrying capacity. We moved from fifth wheels into Airstreams and it suits our current mode of adventure to a T but it's minimalist elegance. It doesn't hold a candle to our fifth wheels afa accommodations and capacities. Of course our fifth wheel towed like a dead elephant. With the Airstream, if it weren't for the adoring onlookers I wouldn't know there was anything back there. It sounds to me like an Arctic Fox 25R or P may be more fitting for what your son wants to do. Resale and longevity is all fine and dandy but if the rig isn't allowing an enjoyable travel experience it's not the right rig.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You might take a look at the Artic Fox line up, that was my second choice...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Thank you all for opinions and great ideas. Please understand that I want them to not have to purchase a new TT every time a new child comes along as I did, just trying to be a Dad. I want the best for them and maybe AS is not in the picture yet ..
Personally I like the Eddie Bauer idea but need my recliner......LOL.
The boat can be propelled by my oars as long as I'm fishing. No gas needed. Someday you will see a 98 GMC 2500 with boat on top with a 34' AS going down the road and know I'm loving life.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeo62 View Post
Personally I like the Eddie Bauer idea but need my recliner......LOL.
So do I. What's interesting is the Eddie Bauer is one of the easiest Airstreams to put recliners in. Unbolt the bench seats, take them out and slide two swivel recliners in. Cut down the width of the removable table, and you're got a really nice trailer-for-two.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
curious here...why do you take boat motors along? don't they come along with the boat? trolling motors can go with the smokers, gear , etc and dogs in the truck. we always travel laying fragile stuff like rods, bicycles, chairs inside the trailer and take thdm out when we set up camp. in other words, things that are ONLY used when airstreaming, are the only things that are permanently stored within the trailer. everything else finds a place depending on the trip.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
curious here...why do you take boat motors along? don't they come along with the boat? trolling motors can go with the smokers, gear , etc and dogs in the truck. we always travel laying fragile stuff like rods, bicycles, chairs inside the trailer and take thdm out when we set up camp. in other words, things that are ONLY used when airstreaming, are the only things that are permanently stored within the trailer. everything else finds a place depending on the trip.
Thanks for asking but we both haul our fishing boats on top of our trucks and it would look funny having the motor pointing towards the heavens
Seriously, we are avid fisherman and would leave our boats on the trucks through the camping season because we both have company vehicles for work. Right now, we trailer them but we can't tow tandem in our area.
***Update.....I believe they have found a "offbrand" trailer they are going to purchase. (He called me as I was typing)
Carrying the smokers and other items are starting to look like more work then its worth and when I get mine, I only want momma happy and keeping it simple. Vacations would be the only time to take along the goodies.
Thank you all!!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #18
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
As mentioned, anything you choose will have it's good points and not-so-good points.

What did your son find?

As for you and your leaning towards a 34-footer: I will always recommend a 34-foot Avion. Every once in awhile a nicely-kept one will show up for sale.... even a "basement" model (model number will be 34XB, 34WB, 34VB...) surfaces occasionally. One of those might fit the bill for you and your "stuff".

Good luck on your search!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A new thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ts-185762.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote