Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Wan'a be (soon) cruiser

Miramar Beach , Florida
Generator fitted on or into 25 / 27' Trailer

Appreciate comments regarding fitting a Generator (110vdc) onto or in a 25 or 27' Airstream trailor.

Obviously I'm new at this; your experience and suggestion are valued

Be safe!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
A few people have retrofitted generators to their Airstreams, though the only ones I've actually seen evidence of are over 30'. With the relatively lightweight construction of an Airstream, I think that vibration and noise will be an issue to deal with, though it's not likely to be any louder than the AC. I'm assuming you meant AC and not DC, by the way.

How much generator you want/need depends on where you'll be using it. I went big because my main reason for wanting a generator is for AC during Texas summers. If you just want one for charging batteries while boondocking, a small/light external portable generator may be your best choice.

Mine is a Yamaha EF3000iSEB and the only time I'm not 100% happy with it is when I have to load/unload it. It may be my imagination, but I believe it's quieter than the 2000w lightweights, and I only need one to run the AC. Yamaha makes a "tweener" size 2400w generator that is more portable and many people use it to run their AC, but I got a deal on a lightly used 3000 so I don't have first-hand info about the 2400. Honda has popular options in the 2000w and 3000w sizes, but doesn't have an offering at 2400w (though they do have a lighter 3000w called the "Handi".)

Here's a link to one forums member's setup.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Got One IN Mine

Go the the following link and read the entire post for details and complete photos of installation:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-68808.html
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Putting a generator "in" an Airstream could mean major surgery and metalwork.. Primary decision is to decide whether you are doing it for Air Conditioning or just to charge batteries, run microwave, TV, Lights and coffee-maker, etc. Honda 2000's will do those things, but at least 3000 watts needed to run A/C.. If a 2000 will work (or even smaller 1000 just as battery-charger and TV power..) I have seen a number of mods to create mounting frame of steel angle pieces in front or behind propane tanks on front frame.. That area sees less vertical bouncing, and rear of most trailers not sturdy enough for bumper mount without risk of frame damage/sagging.. <Really depends on strength of frame sections, overhang between rear axle and bumper, etc..> If you have spare tire mounted under front frame and generator mounted on top and propane tanks full, you have meaningfully added to tongue weight and loads on front of frame, and hitch system could also add to loads. For all these reasons, we find it easier to keep the Honda 2000 in back of tow vehicle and pull it out when needed to charge batteries.. We've found avoiding places so hot and humid that air conditioning is required day and night works well for us..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from Santa Rosa Beach

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your generator inquiry, the others have pretty much covered it. Installing a generator within an Airstream travel trailer is a major undertaking. Mounting a generator to the trailer tongue is also somewhat problematic in that it adds a significant amount of weight to the trailer tongue. It also leaves the generator somewhat exposed to the elements and the brunt of splash back from the tow vehicle while underway.

We have had our 25FB for almost seven years and have spent over 1,200 nights in it. We have towed it over 100,000 miles in all of the lower 48 states. We have two Honda 2000's that we carry in the tow vehicle. We have always found these to fit our needs. We can use one generator when we don't need air conditioning, and use the two generators in tandem when we do.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just for info purposes, I noticed a new product out called a TRAILER TRAY and mounts above the propane tanks. It can hold 300#s. I don't know if they fit on an Airstream, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Wan'a be (soon) cruiser

Miramar Beach , Florida
Thank you for your quick response, detailed advise and generous sharing. I think I'm going to like this Airstream Community.

As said, I,m new at 'trailering', but not new in 'cruising.' We are changing lifestyles from Ocean-Cruising to LandCruising. Have spent the past 25 years sailing most everywhere. 'Boon-docking' (anchoring) was much preferred to Marinas, requiring in case of electric powere a high capacity, quiet and reliable generator; as I gather from your comments is the same for trailoring, in particular boon-docking.

I appreciate your choice of aluminum for a 'land-yacht.' My vessel 'RobinLeigh' is of aluminum. Sai.lors name their vessel' are traitors named as a routine?

Thnx for the interaction. Hope to be 'anchoring' near you soon Be SAFE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4020277468.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	182590  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Trailer names...

"I appreciate your choice of aluminum for a 'land-yacht.' My vessel 'RobinLeigh' is of aluminum. Sai.lors name their vessel' are traitors named as a routine?"

Thnx for the interaction. Hope to be 'anchoring' near you soon Be SAFE![/QUOTE]

As for those of us who name their trailers, see the following threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ame-90234.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ames-2442.html

I'm sure there are other threads too. Have fun!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Installing a generator in a travel trailer, is not as easy as it might seem.

First and huge thing is that it "MUST" be installed in a steel or fire-proof compartment.

Next problem, is where will the gasolene tank be installed, so that it's not a hazard?

Andy
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Here's a link for the Trailer Tray. I mentioned earlier.
Trailer Tray - Trailer Tongue Cargo Carrying System
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Seems to be going in the wrong direction installing something inside the trailer that produces a great deal of heat, noise, engine odors, and carbon monoxide if your goal is comfort.

doug k
Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Here's a link for the Trailer Tray. I mentioned earlier.
Trailer Tray - Trailer Tongue Cargo Carrying System
Hi Bluto, could that thing be safe for travel, or would a sudden stop send the generator hurtling through the back window of the pickup. Maybe a stand to be used in camp only, but I wonder if some of these inventions are given much thought.

doug k
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree with Doug- that looks scary.

I carry a Honda 1000 on top of the battery compartment of my 20' Safari.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Doug, and Wayne&Sam,
Good point. Don't really know if it is safe and it makes one wonder.
Although, the company says it has hold down loops welded into the tray for attaching straps, etc. I suppose the generator could also be bolted in place on the tray, but I' don't know that for sure.
I like the fact that it is outside and out of the way. It puts the weight above the hitch instead of elsewhere on the trailer.
I think if the generator was secured properly this has the potential to be a nice product. My problem with it (for me) is that my generator weighs about 260# dry, I think.
That would add quite a bit of weight to my already over 900+ tongue weight.
It might work well for the small generators and maybe a gas can.
I emailed the manufacture and they have limited info available right now. Seems it hit the market first and now they are looking into supplying details.
One of their company people said that they expect to try to see if it will fit a 2012
30 'Airstream sometime by the end of this month. They probably see that a modified model might be necessary to work over the 40#tanks and cover.