Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Maniacal Engineer
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Generators are needed for AC (I assume the 110vdc a typo), but many people in areas with sufficient sun have discovered that solar panels + LED lighting allows one to skip the generator.

We've gone the solar route and in Northern California and the only time we haven't been able to recharge our batteries every day was camping in Yosemite in the fall in a densely wooded campground; we were there only for a long weekend so had plenty of power for lighting, recharging batteries and running my CPAP machine.

If I needed a generator, I'd carry one in the back of my truck. Space in the Airstream is scarce enough as it is.

- Bart

Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Not Really

Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Seems to be going in the wrong direction installing something inside the trailer that produces a great deal of heat, noise, engine odors, and carbon monoxide if your goal is comfort.

doug k

Doug, as to your "cons":
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, 33 amp genset installed curb side under rear twin bed with access through curb side under bed exterior storage door.
  • Heat - All cooling heat is vented curbside/under the AS.
  • Noise - Due to VERY indirect intake/exhaust cooling air and excellent muffler, noise is VERY minimal; outside the AS beside the genset one can converse in normal voice; inside the AS up front the airconditioner makes more noise and thus the genset is not noticable; in the rear the genset does create a muted "droning", but this does not inhibit sleep any more than a floor fan.
  • Engine odors - None
  • Carbon monoxide - None so far (have a monoxide alarm), but I do have to keep rear windows closed as wind can cause exhaust fumes to enter if blowing in the right/wrong direction.
  • Security - Simply can not be stolen (unless entire Airstream is stolen).
  • Convenience - No set up time.
  • Starting - Push button in kitchen to crank and within 2 minutes the airconditioner and all other appliances are operative; VERY convenient during rest stops.
  • Vibration - EXTREMELY minimal.
  • Runtime - ~50 hours on ~25 gallons of fuel.
  • Stopping - Push button to stop, get in vehicle and drive away.
  • Back-up Power - Since I keep the Airstream in my back yard I use the genset to power my home when the gid has gone down.

withidl is offline   Reply With Quote