Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Full Time Winterizing Thoughts

Robyn and I are full timers currently at Raccoon Mountain RV Park outside Chattanooga, TN. We are expecting a low tonight of 27 F. Last night we put the thermostat on Zone 2 @ 70, Furnace and Auto Fan. We also disconnected the campground water at the faucet and drained the hose. We were comfortable. The temperature is expected to stay below freezing starting 6pm today for about 12-hours. The only other thing we plan to do is open all the inside doors when freezing outside. We have water in the water heater using the electric to keep it warm. Also, we do not use any water until it is not freezing outside. Given the above any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
robertwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You sound good to go, to me.

Maggie
Old 11-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Put an insulated skirt around the bottom of the trailer (there are plenty of commercial options) and put some heat lamps in there. You can also buy (or make) a heated water hose. Try some heat tracer cables around your waste tank valves and sewer hose.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not really sure that the "use no water until it's above freezing" part is needed. If anything, moving water through the pipes will reduce the chance of freezing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'm not really sure that the "use no water until it's above freezing" part is needed. If anything, moving water through the pipes will reduce the chance of freezing.

Bob

I was concerned that the outside hose would freeze. However, I can connect it to Trinity through a “Y” and let one leg drip. Thank you for prompting me to rethink my thoughts!
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You sound good to go, to me.

Maggie

Thank you
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Put an insulated skirt around the bottom of the trailer (there are plenty of commercial options) and put some heat lamps in there. You can also buy (or make) a heated water hose. Try some heat tracer cables around your waste tank valves and sewer hose.

Thank you
Old 11-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob
Hi

..... ahhh.... the missing link - you fill the fresh water tank. Set up the way you are, it's not going to freeze.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The only other things I am doing is using reflective insulation between the windows and shades, a Camco insulated insert over the fantastic fan, and carpet runners for the toes.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwarren View Post
Robyn and I are full timers currently at Raccoon Mountain RV Park outside Chattanooga, TN. We are expecting a low tonight of 27 F. Last night we put the thermostat on Zone 2 @ 70, Furnace and Auto Fan. We also disconnected the campground water at the faucet and drained the hose. We were comfortable. The temperature is expected to stay below freezing starting 6pm today for about 12-hours. The only other thing we plan to do is open all the inside doors when freezing outside. We have water in the water heater using the electric to keep it warm. Also, we do not use any water until it is not freezing outside. Given the above any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Check the propane tanks, making sure one is 100% full.

Finding propane in the middle of the night is almost impossible!
(I'm telling you this because I've done it )
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Orange Beach , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Check the propane tanks, making sure one is 100% full.

Finding propane in the middle of the night is almost impossible!
(I'm telling you this because I've done it )

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
We just spent two weeks in Wisconsin with freezing temperatures at night. The coldest down to 12 degrees. Keep the furnace running and all will be fine.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
When, or if, you ever have the need to winterize, I have a detailed data base of how I winterize our 2014, 27ft., Flying Cloud. Works great for me living in northern VT. If you would like a copy, email me at: sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Since you are full timers, next season you should hang out here in the Palm Springs area... RV lots can be rented 450-600 a month here or if you are a Thousand Trails Elete member, there are three parks in the area stay three months!! 71 Degrees today
Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #15

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Mississauga , Ontario
We camp year round in Canada. Last week it was -16C (3F) for 48 hours and we were full of water. We kept the indoor temperature at 66F which was sufficient to keep the tanks from freezing. Nothing else - no skirts, no extra heaters - nada. Usually we supplement our heat with electric but that isn't a good idea when it's going to be that cold. Our parks are all winterized so the exterior hose wasn't an issue.
We winterized with antifreeze on the weekend because all good things do come to an end but, we have never had any problems with having water in our tanks when we keep the rig as warm as toast.
NoMoreDRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwarren View Post
We've camped even colder than that, it get much colder we turn on our tank heaters (gray, black and fresh water), I assume you don't have them. If not I think you'll be fine with what you're doing.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Weatherby Lake , Missouri
I frequently run the heat pumps for as much of the day/night as possible to reduce the load on the propane - and I am paying for the electric anyway so might as well use it, assuming that you aren't being metered. When it gets close to freezing and the efficiency drops off I switch to the furnace - **especially since the heat pump does not provide warm air to the sealed underbelly!** I was pleasantly surprised to see how effective the HPs were with even significantly cooler air to work with and I have saved a fair amount of $ using less propane.
SemperBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Below Freezing

I've spent two winters in Colorado above 6000ft. During both winters the temperatures went to -14f for several days at a time. The other advice about keeping water in the on-board tank and keeping the hot water heater going 24/7 worked for me. If you are going to be in -32f temps, why not get a Camco heated water hose? I've found they work to below 0. But wherever you are staying has to also have a heat tape on their water supply.

When it gets below Of things begin to get difficult. At -14 my internal water tank froze at the bottom where the outlet and sensor are. You mentioned a Y fitting which I would imagine is metal. That is the first thing that will freeze.

The tank outlet/dump valve also often will freeze - but using a silicon lubricant on it helps.

I also put the heat-shrink plastic on all windows that do not open. It seems to help a lot.

As to propane, I as well as many others, manually close one of the two tanks. Then if one runs out, you'll know fairly quickly and can then turn the back-up on (invariably at 3am)and refill the first tank the next day. In this way you never run completely out of propane.

It is also important to keep your internal propane heater on a comfortable setting and just leave it there. This eventually heats even the hidden areas of the trailer. If you have a newer tailer, there are heater ducks that go to the under floor covered area where the top of your black water tank and hoses are. This keeps them from freezing until it gets down to 0 to -10 degrees. Using an electric space heater often means the propane heater doesn't kick on.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
Lots of good advice , we stay in the South Okanagan BC for the winter months in a 30 ft - '05 MH Land Yacht-SL the only problem is the slide , the seals leak outside air , installed spray foam under the floor between the frame rails and use a heated rug ( https://www.amazon.ca/SpeedHeat-Rugb.../dp/B00067ASOA ) , always toasty warm , no need for skirting yet , been down to -15C last year.
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #20

Reno , Nevada
I bought the Pirit heated water hose. www.pitithose.com
i needed 100' and it was $200. heated w/thermostate so it runs from 42 degrees to 50 and shuts back off. it is also 100% lead free
bgbrannon is offline   Reply With Quote