Old 05-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Great stories. All of which show why you really need to put quotes around "camping" in an Airstream. I always say it's not camping when you take 5,000 lbs with you. But it sure is fun.

1971, Barrow, AK, camping on the shore of the Arctic:
My family had many a happy camping trips in the California desert. We lived on the coast so we went east to Boego Springs. Kids in a tent and parents in a hand built camper on a customized 40 Ford truck.

laughed when I read your quote. I went in the Army in '68 and after a year of camping and sleeping on the ground in Vietnam, I was done with roughing it. I did not want to walk anywhere I could drive (I was in the Infantry) and sleeping out doors lost it's appeal for years.

In the late 70s we bought a bus. A 1951 Chevrolet. I called it short round, a bad joke from combat. It was only 21' long. I could not find a picture. We lived in it for about six months traveling looking for something, but not sure what, and used it for a daily driver for 2 years.

In about 1982 we bought a 1959 Mercury 15' canned ham. Pulled it with a '52 Hudson hornet, a 1950 Chev 1/2 ton and later a 1958 Cadillac. We kept it 21 years.
Purchase price was $400. Sold it in 2006 for $3000 when we bought our 1958 Airstream.

Now we pull it with a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.

In 11 months we are taking a one year trip around the country in our Flying Cloud. It will be the first time in 37 years we will have a general direction in mind but no time schedule. Kind of like our trip in the Bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1031.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	186072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1098.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	186073  

Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Some nice looking rigs guys!

I used to camp in a tent with my folks. Later on they got a popup with canvas fabric part that was a mosquito haven when it got wet. Pretty miserable, but at least we were off the ground. We had a big two room tent prior to that and got stuck in the rain and had a half inch of water in the tent. That wasn't so great...

My buddies and I in high school used to walk out into the woods with a bowie knife and a tarp (sometimes a tarp) and come back three days later. We often just built A-frame looking "cabins" out of sticks, then interwoven smaller sticks, and then stuck with leaves in between to make the walls. Then we slept on the ground (no sleeping bags...we literally slept on the ground..). I remember one time it was 80 in the day when we were building the thing and it got down into the 40's that night. Man that was rough!

My wife's family, on the other hand, "camped" at the Hilton on the beachfront. She wanted NO parts of any tent.

I convinced her to borrow my dad's trailer one time and give it a whirl. After that, she was hooked. She's now an official TRAILERITE (I love that term ).

So yes, we "camp" in a 34' (35'-11" actually) triple axle silver tube with a bath tub, a/c, and a king size Simmons Beauty-Rest in the back. Somehow I like that better than the stick/leaf shack and sleeping on the ground But it's all fun!

see ya on the road,

Old 05-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
BTW, were you at Springstream a year or so back??
No, we've not yet attended any rallies, but Springstream looks like a good one, and it wouldn't be too far from home. We have only had our AS since November. Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We met some Streamers from St Augustine a year or so back so thought it may have been you guys. Springstream is a great rally, usually in April. We also invite you to Alumalina in September this year and March of 2014.

Love the stories your thread has generated.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Actually started with BSA including my Dad as an adult leader too, many camp outs including summer camp and a Klondike Derby nite at 6 below in a Baker tent. Still have a Voyager tent. Linda and I tent camped and all 3 kids were in camp while still in diapers. All tents, all wood or Coleman cooking. Many good times. Kids are older, SC gets kinda hot in summer but wanted to continue, but needed AC. For years Linda would see an AS on the hwy and say there goes my trailer. Went straight from a tent and gear hauling trailer/chuck wagon to our 30 ft S/O. Had a few issues, but looking forward to next trip and even visiting Jackson Center this year.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
We met some Streamers from St Augustine a year or so back so thought it may have been you guys. Springstream is a great rally, usually in April. We also invite you to Alumalina in September this year and March of 2014.

Love the stories your thread has generated.

John
Thanks so much!