Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Punta Gorda , Florida
Floorplan information needed

Greetings from Florida,

I'm not sure which thread to use, so please excuse and redirect me!

I recently retired (my wife quits in one year) and we're actively looking for a used Airstream. We now realize after hours on this site the history of AS names and models does not correlate well (or at all) from year to year. It's very confusing, to say the least. But, we'll persevere and figure it out in time with a lot of help from the forum members (a great site, BTW).

Bear with me.....we need to determine when AS started offering floor plans with twin beds located at the end of the trailer. As we're planning on taking long (one month or more) trips, we want to get a model long enough for the beds at one end, bath & dinette in the middle, etc. Hope that makes some sense. Guessing this would be 28' and longer? We'd like to stay between 26' and 30' if possible.

Many thanks everyone!

Wayne
flyloandslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Actually most years that offered the rear bedroom, they were available both in twin beds as well as what they call the queen bed, but it's not a real queen size.

I know this is somewhere in the early 80's that Airstream went to the rear bedroom from the rear bath, and maybe even the 70's. It was offered in as small a trailer as the 25'.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Sorry, can't help you with the history.

Take a look at the 27FB with twin beds. A nice layout and might be right up your alley. Go to airstream.com and you can see all the floor plans for the current models.

Good luck in your search.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyloandslo View Post
Bear with me.....we need to determine when AS started offering floor plans with twin beds located at the end of the trailer. As we're planning on taking long (one month or more) trips, we want to get a model long enough for the beds at one end, bath & dinette in the middle, etc. Hope that makes some sense. Guessing this would be 28' and longer? We'd like to stay between 26' and 30' if possible.

Many thanks everyone!

Wayne
Wayne, First off, welcome to the forums!

Most of the model and floor plan information can be found on the official Airstream website here... Document Archive - Airstream

Manuals and information for newer Airstreams can be found here...Manuals, Airstream Travel Trailers, Touring Coaches | Airstream
Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Wayne, I know you said you are retirement age, so if you like the front bedroom floor plan, and there's nothing wrong with it as a floor plan, I would advise you to actually sit at the dinette and the other bench type seating in those models before you make your decision. We find them uncomfortable. Younger people obviously don't.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few months ago ( Feb ) there was an Airstream Rally in Sarasota. The local dealer usually has a nice display of new rigs for window shoppers. Take a drive over to Melbourne and visit the Airstream park there ( Land Yacht Harbor ) and on a nice day knock on doors and talk to residents there. I think that many would be happy to chat with you and show you their Airstreams. There are long termers there as well as transient visitors. Another choice is outside of Dade City. Travelers Rest RV park is open to all brands but has a high concentration of Airstreams. Of course you could cruise some local places and you'll likely find one or two as well. Do some homework and check out the southern dealers. Decide if you want new or used. The new ones have some nice features that you won't see in older ones. Since you didn't ask, I'll give it anyway, I suggest looking for a used ( 5-10 yrs) unit lightly used by a little old lady going to church on Sunday's only. We've had 2 used units and been very happy with our purchases and we travel a lot. Enjoy your search.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto what Polarlyze said.

You get the big depreciation without the huge repairs (usually & if you are careful in inspecting them). Most of all look for leaks around the perimeter of the floor especially near the door, front corners and rear bumper. Poking the floor with an icepick (or a moisture meter) is the best indicator.

Paula