Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
as hopeful

floor plan measurements

Hi Everyone:

I originally contacted airstream customer support with this request....
"While I have been able to get the floor plans of the website - I am particularly interested in getting the exact measurements of the floor plans. I
am deciding between 25', 27' and 28' units."

The reply from airstream was;
The overall lengths, widths and heights are also available at Airstream, Inc :: Home.
Listed below are some measurements for some of our units:
The exterior width is 8’ 1”
The 25’ Safari overall length is 25’ 11”
The 27’ Safari overall length is 28’
The 28’ Safari overall length is 27’ 11”

This did not help as I already had this information from the website and print materials.

So, now am looking here to the forum. I have done a search - alas - I have not found the information I am looking for.

What I am specifically looking for is the floor plans with measurements for the various spaces of the trailer.
I have the overall measurements of lengths (data from the website)
And - I have the general floor plan (again, from the website)
What I do NOT have is the general floor plan PLUS the measurements of the various areas.
- for example, the bedroom area is 8'1" by 6'3" (I made this up)

Bottom line - I am interested in such things as;
- how the lay out is done space wise
- how much space is there between things
- how long is the kitchen counter
- how much room is there with twin beds versus queen bed
etc.

I sure hope this makes sense!? (it did not seem to make sense to the folks at airstream)

Thank you very much for your help - this is greatly appreciated. I am extremely impressed with this forum - incredible knowledge and information!

And hope you all have an enjoyable holiday season
peter
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Boy...sounds like a trip to the nearest dealer is in store for you!

I've never seen detailed drawings like that for all the different models ~ only a couple of ambitious vintage owners with plans of their own.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
sound likes your completing an academic exercise.

even if you did have all the dimensions you wanted, it's no substitute for GOING to the dealer and touching and feeling everything and seeing how the spaces seem to you. you have to sit in the dinette to see if it's comfortable. you have to lay on the bed. you have to bump your head on something.

also, you need to think about your tow vehicle in terms of the length you choose.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
peter, There are different floor plans in each length. We have the 25' FB (front bedroom) twin floorplan and think that we have a perfect unit.

If you are interested in the FB, I will measure the areas right after Christmas and hopefully figure out how to post the drawing. Just let me know.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
as hopeful

floor plan measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
peter, There are different floor plans in each length. We have the 25' FB (front bedroom) twin floorplan and think that we have a perfect unit.

If you are interested in the FB, I will measure the areas right after Christmas and hopefully figure out how to post the drawing. Just let me know.

Pat
Pat - that would be most helpful! (as long as it not putting you out!!). I do wonder the "living size" of the 25' versus the 27' & 28'. We are planing on full timing - so it is a "big" (no pun intended) decision.
peter
Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
as hopeful

floor plan measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
sound likes your completing an academic exercise.

even if you did have all the dimensions you wanted, it's no substitute for GOING to the dealer and touching and feeling everything and seeing how the spaces seem to you. you have to sit in the dinette to see if it's comfortable. you have to lay on the bed. you have to bump your head on something.

also, you need to think about your tow vehicle in terms of the length you choose.
Hi David - yes, may sound academic - but (LOL) that is kind of like me! I tend to do LOTS of research in my approach. FYI; our plan is to full time - hence the looking and re-looking, and re-re-looking at it all.

Totally agree with the "go and look" - nothing can replace it - but we have very limited opportunity here to do that here. As such, we are planning a trip to an Oregon dealer - and will sure make good use of that visit.

TV will be purchased once a decision is made on which as to buy.

peter

p.s. – and I love your “*by asking the above question, i verify that i have already used the search feature to the best of my ability...” – LOL – suits me to a tee
Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The simplest solution is to print those plans and scale them based upon the known dimensions (width and length). I do this all the time with copies of old building plans that aren't to scale.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
peter, I will measure Wednesday.

We met a couple at Springstream '07 that bought a 25' FB and very shortly after, traded it for a 27' FB because they wanted more storage. Both AS's had one bed, not twins.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
peter, I have the measurments but can't do anything with them. Have spent the morning trying to figure out how to post the picture, but it just isn't happening.

There are some great interior photos of either a 25' or 27' posted by wheel interested on 8-14-07 under the thread title "need interior photos of 25ft". The pictures show the entire interior and all storage.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
as hopeful

floor plan measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
The simplest solution is to print those plans and scale them based upon the known dimensions (width and length). I do this all the time with copies of old building plans that aren't to scale.
Cameron - do you think the good people at airstream have posted "to scale" floorplans on thier website? I ask - because I could just print those floorplans onto grid paper - then scale from that.
regards, peter
Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I would say Airstream's floor plans are fairly accurate but don't imply more significant figures to your scale calculations. Maybe the plans are accurate to a couple inches if you blow them up and superimpose them on a grid. Another proviso is that the lengths in the specs pages are for bumper to ball -- not body length. Maybe they're saying the interior width is 8'1"; I do know the outside width is 8'6" on trailers 25' and above.

Note the walkaround space on the 25' Safaris with a queen bed -- the implied space is a joke. You could walk around to the foot of the bed and that's about it. A large dog could get trapped in there! Get ye to a rally ... or Airstream dealer!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq1203
Cameron - do you think the good people at airstream have posted "to scale" floorplans on thier website? I ask - because I could just print those floorplans onto grid paper - then scale from that.
regards, peter
They may not be to scale, but they do specify the dimensions of the beds. So, based upon those 'known' dimensions, you could effectively print the plan at any scale and extrapolate any dimension you want. If you are inclined to do so, you could adjust the print scale to correspond to those bed dimensions.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Get ye to a rally ... or Airstream dealer!
Sadly, our local dealer hasn't the best selection to view. According to their web site, they only have six units on the lot. When I last visited, they had two.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
A friend was traveling in Oregon this fall and stopped when they found themselves driving by George Sutton RV in Eugene. He spoke about the very large number of Airstreams there. Until proven otherwise I guess I have to believe their website saying that there are about 50 new Airstreams listed under inventory. It would take longer but there are some regular forums rallies in the NW.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I would also be inclined to take a trip to Spokane. I've heard good things of the dealer there. Sadly, our dealer is more interested in the SOB market, if their lot is any indication.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
as hopeful

floor plan measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
...Get ye to a rally ... or Airstream dealer!
Like Cameron said - in this neck of the woods, there is one dealer.
On the lot, they had 1 unit; a 28' and a 19'
AS is not a priority based on our visit to them / interaction. While having lots of SOBs - they recommneding looking at others than AS!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
It's a shame they can't be more dedicated to the brand. I wonder why Airstream doesn't pull their franchise and give it to a dealer interested in selling Airstreams?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
They may not be to scale, but they do specify the dimensions of the beds.
Unfortunately, the bed dimensions are not accurate. The specs for the 16' Bambi say that the bed is 48" wide - it really is closer to 45-46".
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
Unfortunately, the bed dimensions are not accurate. The specs for the 16' Bambi say that the bed is 48" wide - it really is closer to 45-46".
Well, then one can scale off of any other object for which a dimension is known, such as a counter length or depth, stove or sink. The point is, once a known dimension is established, the actual scale of the drawing is not an issue. Extrapolating the unknown from the known is relatively easy.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I believe the local dealer is providing the location for a WBCCI meeting in early January. You could call them to find out the time. If so you might be able to attend and speak to local owners. I can't tell you how many attend these meetings but worth a shot since it is local.

I agree, the local dealer is less than interested in Airstream. I believe they see it as a prestige product to have on their lot, but they prefer to downsell.

You might also want to consider phoning JC and tell them what it is you need. Sometimes it's harder to say no to a person on the line than it is to type a non helpful response.

Good luck,
Barry