Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Airstream has their PR department working over time building hype.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps instead of a huge PR spending on what we called "vaporware" in the computer industry, the funds would better be deployed designing the production line in such a way that QC is verified at every stage. Then when the unit gets to the last stop, the repairs would be minimal.

Many Airstream dealers can not even do a decent repair job on the aluminum, wonder how that expertise (or lack thereof) will play out with fiberglass?

Perhaps the tow vehicle conversations will start with "Can my Miata or Fiat 500 tow this?"

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Is there any sense of projected weight of the final trailer ....they will add AC and black tank I hear ....

Why doesn't the industry think even lighter and skip black tank and go with those European cassette toilets or just go with a compost toilet - save weight .... Just a thought...or have it as an option.

I woman on fb upon me posting about the next linked me to some trailer that is primarily sold in Europe that "can be pulled by a Miata" - forget it's name - cute design - no AC - had bathroom in pics with no shower.

I was deeply skeptical about the Miata part lol - only airstream a are designed to be pulled by bicycles and such

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I'm a fiberglass trailer enthusiast, having owned a boler and a SurfSide at the same time. I have been following the Nest since its early stages. It may be my next Airstream. I sold our SurfSide a few days after we brought our Airstream home due to space limitations. It was 15 ft with a queen bed. It was a wonderful trailer, and it is sadly missed.

If Airstream is following this, I'd like them to:
-avoid adding a black tank. A combination tank is good enough, or add a cassette or composting (big bucks) toilet, as was mentioned above. We hardly use the black tank on our Airstream. I collect shower water and dish water to pour down the toilet just to keep it wet in there and to avoid dumping the grey tank so often. I wish I had a combination tank.
-keep the queen bed. Don't try to squeeze more in there at the expense of the bed.
-lighten up the fabric. Please don't use brown anywhere in there. Keep the fabrics bright and fresh. It's a fun trailer! No valances please. OceanAir blinds would be nice, but cheaper roller blinds would be fine too. No Venetian blinds. They clang around when towing.
-the bed could be a futon-type, so that it could be flipped into a sofa, but not necessary. Our SurfSide was like that, but we were too lazy and left it flat.
-keep the table along the side. It is more useful than trying to cram in a dinette booth. I like looking directly out the window. I don't have to be looking into my partner's face.
-I'd like an optional hand dolly to move it around our yard. We used to be able to buy them at Princess Auto in Canada, but they are no longer sold anywhere that I can find. That's the beauty of a small trailer! You can push it around your yard! A hand dolly makes it even easier. Most people have to get someone to make one for them, but I don't know a welder.
That's my wish list and my 0.02.
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Hey Pharmgeek, been a bit quiet on your front. Realized hadn't seen your name in a few.

Happy camping.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm still alive and doing our airstream thing when we find time! Lovin it - back to the beach Memorial Day weekend for 4 day weekend (port st Joe) - glad to see your name too!

I look forward to being a vicarious fan of the nest of it becomes a good competitor worthy - do us proud airstream!

Old 05-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The Airstream brand is unique. Let's keep Airstream aluminum.

Thor should assign the Nest to one of their plastic brands.

Btw....my 2005 Interstate was total Flying Cloud inside....so still in the Airstream spirit.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #36
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
-I'd like an optional hand dolly to move it around our yard. We used to be able to buy them at Princess Auto in Canada, but they are no longer sold anywhere that I can find. That's the beauty of a small trailer! You can push it around your yard! A hand dolly makes it even easier. Most people have to get someone to make one for them, but I don't know a welder.
Home Hardware, or amazon.ca Both have listings for trailer dollies.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I made a comment on my fb discussing this product and asked "but is it an airstream" *said in snooty voice*

I wouldn't personally mind the non aluminum option if quality is great and people mostly are like "yeah - that thing is sweet looking and unique"

But I suppose it does slightly depart from what defines airstream....

Old 05-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I made a comment on my fb discussing this product and asked "but is it an airstream" *said in snooty voice*

I wouldn't personally mind the non aluminum option if quality is great and people mostly are like "yeah - that thing is sweet looking and unique"

But I suppose it does slightly depart from what defines airstream....

Airstream sold MOHOs and Chrysler vans not produced by them and currently sell fitted out Mercedes vans. All labeled as Airstreams. If it says "Airstream" on it then it is an Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In a field littered with both long established competitive "eggs" and innovative new entries...

Airstream will
  1. redefine the "egg" concept for the RV industry
  2. become famous for the RV version of the "Edsel" or "New Coke"
  3. be lost in the hoard

I've visited a few new campgrounds lately... and at one four men almost RAN up to offer to help me back in and hook up. AND to drool a bit over Eddie. I couldn't resist and opened the hatch even though it was only an overnight stay. The "wows" when they see that are still amazing.

I think people have a similar reaction to "egg" trailers in general - they're obviously different from the average camper - and I really don't know whether people will buy an Airstream egg in preference to a Casita egg for half the price.

I'll watch from the sidelines with interest. I do think fiberglass is a lot more sensible if you're going into the woods in the land of thorns and hanging branches and rutty dirt roads... IF the trailer is built for boondocking. And frankly they're a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to get the dings and scratches repaired. So WALLY experimented with fiberglass too.... probably just didn't have the financing to develop a third brand after the Argosy or change the argosy over to fiberglass.

We'll see. Good luck Airstream. Hope it works out well. (redacted a line from "The Right Stuff" about negative outcome and resultant bad publicity)

Paula
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sort of reminds me of the whole Argosy debate.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Home Hardware, or amazon.ca Both have listings for trailer dollies.

Jeff

Thanks so much, Jeff!

Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Airstream sold MOHOs and Chrysler vans not produced by them and currently sell fitted out Mercedes vans. All labeled as Airstreams. If it says "Airstream" on it then it is an Airstream.
Right... just see this color photo posted yesterday on Twitter by Rich Luhr:

Airstream's 1955 prototype fiberglass "Wally Bee"