Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
External speakers

I'm looking for wireless speakers that I can put outside the trailer. I connect to the sound system via Bluetooth from my phone. That means that the wireless speakers cannot be connected via Bluetooth. And that means, but I'm have to have some device that will create a junction for the internal speakers in the external speakers that I can use to create another Bluetooth connection for speakers only.

Has anybody done this? I searched the Forum for anything to do with speakers and came up empty. Surely I'm not the only 1 that wants external speakers that are Wireless using a phone to connect to the radio.

Any input would be greatly appreciate appreciated.

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If your thought is to use both the interior (wired) speakers and some outside (wireless) speakers at the same time, I think you may end up being disappointed because there'll usually be a perceptible lag with the wireless speakers. If you're using only wireless it's fine since the lag is constant.

You could use an aux-to-bluetooth adapter coming out of your stereo... the built-in stereo won't send music OUT on bluetooth anyway, so you can link your phone into the stereo with the built-in bluetooth and the audio out to external bluetooth speakers through the adapter I mentioned.

There are readily-available wireless links like the Denon DN-202WT / DN-202WR but they're not particularly cheap, and you'd need power for it. I don't know offhand of readily-portable speakers using a non-BT wireless link, but there may well be some on the market. We just use a portable BT speaker outside driven from one of our phones, or link to the head unit in the Airstream when we're indoors or right by the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Don't know the head unit you have, but we have the Polk and I bought a cheap bluetooth transmitter from Amazon (HomeSpot Dual Stream) and connected it to the spare (rear) preamp outputs. This makes a BT connection to our wireless Bose. Better transmitters can be found. This should not interfere with your phone to head unit BT connection.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Skip the built in headunit. Connect directly to a Bluetooth exterior speaker. Pick the size and acoustic quality that fits your needs.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
skip the built in headunit. Connect directly to a bluetooth exterior speaker. Pick the size and acoustic quality that fits your needs.

agree!
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote