Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Kevin, Leipper etal -

Kevin - you mentioned that friction type hitches need adjustment while underway due to weather - loosen in rain and snow, tighten etc... Can you clarify if this type of hitch includes the current iteration of Equal-I-zer hitches?? I was NOT informed of any adjustments that this hitch might need ( other than periodic tighening of ALL hardware during use) as it goes down the road. Perhaps you are referencing older/other friction type hitches. Is Equal-I-zer even considered a 'friction type' hitch??

Leipper et al - As I tow my 34 footer. Even with the above mentioned hitch, I DO get a REALLY, SLIGHT! movement from left to right as semi's blow by me. I attributed this SLIGHT movement to the length of the trailer and pure physics. Is this something to worry over?????

Just to be clear - THERE IS NEVER ANY loss of control, any concern of going in the ditch or anything else. Just wondering about that SLIGHT wiggle. There is NO issue with wiggle on 2 lanes as truck zip past the other way - only with same direction passes. Seems like those rigs PUSH a LOT of air when they roll and this does cause a minimal amount of deflection as they roll by.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts, ideas and comments!

No the Equalizer is not a friction type. There are no changes required for inclement weather. I use it and much prefer it to the Reese for ease of hookup and in my experience it resisted the push that comes from being passed by big trucks much better than the Reese I had previously.

Paul Mayeux
A&P Vintage Trailer Works, Inc.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
I've tried with and without equalizer

Hi there;

I've driven my 27' overlander with my F150 4x4 with equalizer ( the genuine one , from the 70's ... ) and I was each time afraid when a bus or an heavy truck passed me... All the rig was in movement from right to left and vice versa and i reduce speed to stop that, because my steering wheel followed the same movement !
Now, with my Harley Davidson, in the bed ( of the F150 ), the height of the hitch ball was not correct and i've decided to try without the equalizer : NO more movement in my steering-wheel and now i'm quite when i'm passed by heavy trucks.I prefer my A/S in movement only instead of the complete rig...

that is my experience;

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote