Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
EB/Pendleton/TB What Other Partnerships Would You Like To See? Special Edition Option

So to start out I've had this thought about a Special Edition upgrade option. Why doesn't Airstream offer an option to modify/upgrade any Airstream with a Special Edition kit? For instance say you have a Flying Cloud and you want the Tommy Bahama feel, why not a kit that has TB items like the louvered cabinet doors, the leather pull handles, all the swag and maybe the wall paper, etc. Or how about a Pendleton upgrade kit with the map wall paper, the table, swag, etc. And it doesn't have to stop there, why not other themed upgrade kits like a South West theme or an Astronomy theme or a Asian theme, a Western theme, sports, etc., etc. the sky's the limit. They could throw a money-making price tag on the kits like $5k or something and I think these would sell for sure.
So what themes or other partnerships like Pendleton, Eddie Bauer & Tommy Bahama would you like to see? Maybe a partnership with the NFL or a car company like Ford or GMC. How about partnering with Jimmy Buffett/Margaritaville or Cabela's & Bass Pro, NASA, etc.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Muppets? M&M?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
How about a “QC” option?

For a certain fixed price or a percent of the purchase price, a special JC team would inspect your AS before it goes out the door and fix all the issues that you (the buyer) will find over the next 1-2 years.

🤔. Just a thought.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
How about a Winnebago theme.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , OR
How about a 100% Quality Guaranteed Edition that extends AS warranty to 5 years on all components like less expensive manufacturers are already offering ?
Fredjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
I do not have a problem with special editions if done in a manner worthy of an Airstream. I would stay away from fashion designer, big pro sports, and specific product identities. Could you just imagine what a NASCAR theme might look like? Product logos plastered helter skelter all over the Airstream's skin! Or, can you picture a trailer displaying large Amazon Prime logos claiming the trailer will be delivered to you in two days? Or, can you imagine an Airstream painted with the ugly "Swoosh" graphics found on many SOB trailers seen on our highways? I favor themes supporting nature, camping, or national parks. Speaking of national parks, I could see themes affiliated with each of our ~50 national parks where a donation is made by Airstream Corp. A special plaque could be mounted on the rig commemorating the event at the time the Airstream is purchased. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
My check would be ready if Airstream would get away from the dinette focus in every coach, and go to a sofa (with TV tables in a side cubby).

I think AS made a mistake discontinuing the 7'-3.75" wide body of the Sport 22. Instead it should have kept that body, done the Caravel upgrades to it, and substituted a sofa/couch for the very uncomfortable dinette.

Also, a twin bed option in the 23FB would be a big seller.

With the 2020 models, AS has size compression with the all 8' wide 19, 20 and 22 lengths.

While the 25" coaches solve all the shortfalls of the 19' through 23' sizes, it does so at a big cost in length, width and weight. I would prefer a smaller, more narrow and lighter TT if it incorporated some or all of the above.

Too bad AS doesn't ask the users what they want!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
My Airstream is my first RV and it’s amazing to me how polarized people feel about it. I automatically assume (based on experience) that when I roll into a campground there will be a handful of people who love to see an Airstream in person and a handful of people who automatically write me off as a rich douchebag. I don’t care one way or the other, just an observation.

That said I sort of feel that way about most of the special editions I’ve seen in person. I have no issues with the special editions but don’t like any of the “rich person’s toy” brands. TB—didn’t know anything about this brand until shopping for an Airstream and the aesthetics of the trailer aside, I have nothing in common with the brand. Same with Pendleton, though I did like the parks connection.

The Eddie Bauer came the closest to perfect for me in relation to a meaningful branding. The trailer was designed specifically for people who get out there and do things other than drink cocktails and watch broadcast television. The bench seating and cargo area was a perfect match with the rear door.

I’d love to see more of those sorts of brand connections, of course. North Face; a bike, kayak or canoe manufacturer, Sage or Orvis, etc. a unit with a lift kit, good solar, and functional design elements (rod holders, external tie downs or racks, etc.). Maybe one that is kitted our for shipping internationally. But that’s me and I don’t know to what extent I fit the Airstream target customer demographic except that I have one and like it.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
How about a Facebook partnership. The trailer is outfitted with cameras inside and out that continually post your location and travel photos to Facebook to make your friends jealous!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Or an Ikea partnership. Your Airstream is delivered to your driveway in a box with an hex wrench, and you assemble it yourself.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Or a Lego partnership. The interior would be made of Lego and you (or your kids) could reconfigure it to suit your needs.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
“I’d love to see more of those sorts of brand connections, of course. North Face; a bike, kayak or canoe manufacturer, Sage or Orvis, etc. a unit with a lift kit, good solar, and functional design elements (rod holders, external tie downs or racks, etc.). Maybe one that is kitted our for shipping internationally. But that’s me and I don’t know to what extent I fit the Airstream target customer demographic except that I have one and like it.”

Along these lines, a kit to add on netting storage components, or a drop-down “bunk bed” for the middle isle, similar to what I call those tree hammocks or sleeping bags.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Vintage Theme

How about going back to the sixties look, with today's upgrades!
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Don't mess them up. They're still trying to figure out how to build an AS right.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Orvis or Restoration Hardware.

Also, not everyone with a TB edition drinks “cocktails and watches broadcast television”. We like whisky 🥃, streamed DirectTV NOW and also the outside-y world too...
Old 08-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
My wife is disabled, but would have liked to be able to participate a bit more in the 'outdoors' aspect. We looked at a TB, but the uptick in price was a bit much. So when we were settling on the IS, I asked how much it would cost to put that big door in.

It can be done by Ultimate Airstream.

Ten grand.

After I caught my breath, I thanked the salesman for checking it for me. Our IS is just fine the way it is, thanks.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote