Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I apologize if I seemed to be dismissive of anyone's contributions....not my intention. Instead by me regarding the contributions of both airforums members as they both appeard rigorous in their methods, I was left to speculate how this came to pass.

I greatly appreciate all that people have contributed regarding these new units...and indeed, I would go on to say that if I had not bought my 2014 bunkhouse in late summer 2013, and was doing it today, I indeed would have bought the 2015 unit...not only for what appears to be more quiet operation, but also improved airflow distribution....

I just wish that I did not have a macerator electric toilet...have not had a problem yet, but I just cringe to think about the annoyance of it if/when that occurs.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Really it is hard to say what might be causing a discrepancy in the sound level numbers.

It could be background noise not related to the A/C. It could be different fan speeds in the A/C. I suppose that even different A/C units may have different sound levels.

Airstream says that the new ducted A/C is significantly quieter, insulation is much greater, and the distribution of air is improved.

I really see no reason to doubt their claims.

In order to do a real test you would need to be in a sound proof theater, use the same A/C unit in the same trailer, once built with ducted A/C, built again without ducted A/C. Sound levels would then need to be measured in many locations, mapped, contoured, and calculated to see what the RMS levels were on average in each case and compared.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I would agree with Airstream's claims on all three points. We were running on LOW the entire weekend with no problems cooling. I tried turning down to 65 briefly to create a 20 degree difference from ambient temps and it got there in less than 20 minutes. We only have one AC Unit.

I'm confident that I'll be able to use it as a meat locker during deer season.

We'll use the air conditioning frequently now whereas before we would not use it because of the noise and poor distribution.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Really it is hard to say what might be causing a discrepancy in the sound level numbers.
In order to do a real test you would need to be in a sound proof theater, use the same A/C unit in the same trailer, once built with ducted A/C, built again without ducted A/C. Sound levels would then need to be measured in many locations, mapped, contoured, and calculated to see what the RMS levels were on average in each case and compared.
Real test ???
I posted REAL World comparison numbers
... take them for what it's worth to you! For all practical purposes (and to a reasonable person as opposed to a theoretical analysis), the unscientific numbers I posted give a very unbiased and fairly accurate "view" of the new ducted A/C.
All this pontificating ... over what is considered by most 2015 owners - to be a real improvement- at least it is in my mind ... YMMV.

Again, listen to Hibby ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I would agree with Airstream's claims on all three points. ...We'll use the air conditioning frequently now whereas before we would not use it because of the noise and poor distribution.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Hey Pharmgeek, and everyone else. I am the one who did the dB numbers and compared it to my 2006 unit. They too are "real world" findings. I had to wait for a ducted Airstream to arrive at my local dealer. They were nice enough to plug in the power for me to run the comparison. I used the same meters to measure sound on both my unit and the new ducted AS. I also measured the distance from center area and both ends. Naturally the meters may/may not be matched perfectly to actual dB calibration (heck they both measured different starting point dB levels but, for comparison, they worked well. The conclusion was that the difference was as not as significant as I thought it would be. I posted the figures somewhere last year on the forum.

To me in FL, the AC is a critical part of my AS use. So, AC improvements/ducting is a major factor. I admit that there are two biases involved in my thought 1) that SOB reports I've read of ducting claim long cool times requiring temporary bypassing to cool down the trailer/motorhome, that there is benefit only after the trailer is cooled, hotter days require bypassing to maintain cooling. AND 2) I would compare it against my own unit in cooling and noise to gauge actual benefit.

First, the ducted units are quieter. That said, as someone else pointed out, there is a huge difference in noise level of the pre-2009 or so Dometic AC units and the post-2010 units. They changed compressors and cooling agent. There was an article on RV forum where one guy spent hours dealing with Dometic on his roof unit replacement as the new unit he bought was so much louder that he assumed something was wrong with it. After a second unit replacement Dometic came up with a grommet kit of some sort that finally lowered the volume to, as he stated, similar to the original and his other unit's noise (he had two of the same but had only replaced one, the other was original). My unit is pre 2009 so it would be, by description, quieter. I have now had the opportunity to experience a 2013 AS dometic AC at the dealer and, IT IS LOUD. So, what Moosetags is saying I have experienced as well regarding the old to newer non-ducted units. I believe it is more roof vibration. One improvement made to the non-ducted units post 2007 or so was the ADB multi-directional air-flow ducts. I fitted one to my unit removing the heater element. It made a big difference for my camping. The original box had limited front/rear air up/down control- no straight down or sides. When in summer, the front cools down faster. Once cool, I turn off the front, open the sides and direct it rearward where the back cools better. Could not do that before where it would blow cold air on your face all night as the only option.

I was in Costco the other night and noticed how quiet the Delonghi portable AC unit operated. I still believe there is much more that could be done with ac in RVs. Ducting, though new to Airstream is not new to RVs.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
I stand by my previous numbers and procedure.
Ducted air is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Mefly, you should stand behind your test numbers. Nothing wrong there. I stand behind mine too, though I realize now that I WAS NOT the one Pharmgeek was referring to as the RV Tech. My results were similar to his though. Your results also tell us something. There IS A DIFFERENCE; however, what we define as significant varies. Your highest reading difference, 24dB was huge perceptively- 4x louder. The catch is that it is the equivalent to a quiet library or a PC cooling fan running AS COMPARED to silence. There is a difference.

As far as buying a ducted unit, I would if I wanted a new Airstream. I appreciate any improvement in AC. You did and took action. Congratulations. You will benefit by the quieter sound of the AC.

I finally found my post from some time ago. There was a 6dB difference found when I ran the test.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
There is an app for the iPhone called RTA by Studio Six Digital that will do this type of sound measuring displaying in all the octave bands.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
There is an app for the iPhone called RTA by Studio Six Digital that will do this type of sound measuring displaying in all the octave bands.

Yep one of them I used was Decibel10th
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #24
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
I have a 2015 Eddie Bauer with ducted air. Recently while at the factory and swapping views inside other's airstreams, several noted how quiet our unit was compared to their non-ducted versions. They also noted not only how quiet but how better the distribution of cooling is (no cold spots). I can say that I do not understand with the ability to purchase a $100 window unit from walmart that runs on 110 and will run you out of a standard 12X12 room, that RV cooling hasn't come along with that sort of technology. The fact that it takes a 220 50amp service to cool a travel trailer is crazy.

That said, we find that keeping our two AC's set to 76 keeps us quite comfortable and cool. Much lower and it becomes a chill box!
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
I did not do any scientific tests, but it is like night and day....
This is our first camper with AC, we now live in Sofla so it was mandatory, and we went to the dealer 100% convince to purchase a Sport 22, but when they fired the AC it was like a Harrier taking off, then we went into our current FC 19 with ducted AC and although it was noisy, it was not worst than any Holliday Inn in the suburbs.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarrett View Post
The fact that it takes a 220 50amp service to cool a travel trailer is crazy.

That said, we find that keeping our two AC's set to 76 keeps us quite comfortable and cool. Much lower and it becomes a chill box!
I am not sure just what you are saying, but in any exterior weather conditions under 100 degrees, a single AC running on 110 or gen keeps our 25' very comfortable at 70 degrees interior temp... w/o excess humidity.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #27
Some Guy

Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
I am not sure just what you are saying, but in any exterior weather conditions under 100 degrees, a single AC running on 110 or gen keeps our 25' very comfortable at 70 degrees interior temp... w/o excess humidity.
Yes, one AC does do the job quite well, but what I am saying is that there are AC units now (basic window unit you can pick up at Walmar) that run on a basic 110 plug and will chill you out of a 12X12 room. Why we are still having to run 30A or 50A service instead of being able to use standard 15A is hard to understand. The technology now exists to not require it.
What I guess I am saying is given the right equipment and technology, we should be able to power our trailers (including AC) on one Honda 2000. I suppose in time, it will happen.
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
It takes a lot of BTUs to cool a poorly insulated trailer. 5,000 BTU in a 12 x 12 room in a stick house works great. Not in a trailer. How many BTUs does it take to cool an average PU truck?

Bruce