Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I went to an RV Show and one of the nearby Airstream dealers was showing. He was showing a Class-C SOB built on a Freightliner/Sprinter chassis that was pretty impressive on the interior space issue. It had a slide-out for the sofa/dinette and had a corner bed and corner bath. All-in-all it had surprising room for a small Class-C.

I asked one of his salesmen if this would be comparable to the basic idea of the Airstream Class-C that Jim Elmlinger mentioned in the Club News section of the April Blue Beret and he said it would be. He didn't seem too knowledgeable about the plans Airstream has, but referred me to his dealership manager. He did mention, however, that his first knowledge of Airstream's plans came from the "meeting in Perry". So apparently this was discussed at the Perry Mid-winter IBT Meeting.

Anyway, the manager didn't want to give too much away, but did say that that had to be the plans for Airstream and that he would learn more about what would be coming from Airstream when he attended the annual dealer's meeting in Las Vegas in June. So it does look like Airstream has plans to move forward with a Class-C motorhome sometime in the not too distant future. I think that will be great!

Class-C's are very popular with families and are very maneuverable. It would be really great if Airstream could go after the family market. BTW, this Class-C was under $89,000. Airstream could probably produce one for under $100K and attract buyers to the Airstream cache' and perhaps create a move-up market to start producing Class-A's again in a few years. I think that would be a great segway into re-introducing the Class-A or maybe even introducing the new Classic Class-A that was designed but not brought to market a couple of years ago. I think they would really turn some heads if they do that.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi m'mate...

i'm thinking you've had one too many trips to disneyworld...

or the dealer was pulling your tail...

while it is possible for a company like a/s to do almost anything...

everything i've read suggests they are sticking to the core segment...

towables.

not withstanding the average current price of a new a/s trailer...

building ANY moho for under 100k doesn't read profitably...

and where do they build'em?

even the basecamp is partially completed OUT SIDE...

because the back shed is too small....

the cost of a new building/line/facility and personel is significant...

even in jackson center...

otoh perhaps these class Cs...

will come from C-hina?

we are more likely to see the B+ vans expanded as a concept....

and the freightliner/diesel used for mini winnie like things...

ala rialta or the current winnebago view models...

thinking it might make it so...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My guess is that they will purchase them in some state of completion like they do with the B-vans and do some level of completion like they do with the Sprinter B-vans.

If you read your April Blue Beret Club News, Jim Elmlinger says that "Airstream is also on record stating they are still planning on providing motorized product(s), such as Class-C and Class-B RV's so they are NOT a part of the proposed motion." This dealership manager and one of the salesmen both said that they were aware of plans by Airstream to enter the Class-C market. The dealership manager said he would have more details after the June dealer's meeting in Las Vegas. They both were at Perry in January (less than 100 miles from the dealership and most likely the one that supplied Airstream products that were displayed at the Mid-winter IBT) and they said that was where they heard the news and the manager said he had heard a little more from Airstream in JC but didn't offer to elaborate.

Now all of this may be BS since he knew I wasn't in the market for a new Airstream so who knows. Just passing along what I was told at the RV Show.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote