Old 09-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Youngsville , North Carolina
Thanks Aaron,
I'll post pics of where the water was sitting. I've read the water travels in the walls and pops it's ugly head out somewhere else. That's why I'm going to try the thermal camera. Even if it doesn't help me find it, I will get some cool pics of the TT with it. I'll find out where my heat and A/C are getting out if nothing else.

The clock didn't work before even when I had replaced that fuse the first time. I metered out the different switch positions on light/vent and it doesn't directly short out but it's around 190 ohms. The fuse I put in there was a really low amperage fuse so that may be why it's blowing because it probably can't support the current draw of light bulbs.

Josh

Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Okay....It didn't work.

But I have some pictures either way. I'll post some of them below and explain what they are in case you can't make them out.

Josh

1. Of revits on the ceiling and the 'rib' between the skins
2. Same thing
3. Looking from front couch through hall to back couch
4. Fuse Panel...can you tell which one is in use running the stereo?
5. Front of AS and tanks. Bright due to being tied to shore power I guess.
6. Back of AS with the tires.
7. Front of my truck while it is still warm...pretty cool...or hot.

Let me know what you guys think,

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 16.bmp (52.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: bmp 19.bmp (52.8 KB, 64 views)

Old 09-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I even messed up the attachments

here they are

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 08.bmp (52.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: bmp 09.bmp (52.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: bmp 11.bmp (52.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: bmp fusepanel.bmp (52.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: bmp 16.bmp (52.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: bmp 21.bmp (52.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: bmp Truck.bmp (52.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I pulled a dent in the front upper part of the TT with two suction cups. It didn't come out perfect but looks much better. I'll keep working on it but it started to rain so I had to stop. Pic attached. Used 3 1/4" little suction cups and they worked pretty good.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent-Pulled.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	25914  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #19
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Josh - quite an improvement on that front dent! Good job!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, I'm impressed with the improvement of the dent. Strong work.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Thanks guys....I really can't wait to replace a few panels and polish her up. I looked at some threads of some 75s that were polished and came out great. Right now it's more of a work in progress and I'm ready to do things that make it work better rather than just fixing things.

I'll get there eventually and I'll worry the heck out of all the forum members in the meantime. I think I have more pictures of the Airstream than I do of my wife.....don't tell her.

Josh
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #22
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
i am a certified infrared thermographer --- been playing with it since 1989.. we use the technology on electrical systems for finding loose connections. i am retired now but still own my camaera. it is a very sensitive unit. this same unit is used in medical labs to find tumors and such.
the camera is cooled to 300 degrees below zero by liquid nitrogen. at that temp. all color reflection frequencies are frozen and the camera only see's black and white. we have it setup to show heat as being white. i have surveyed a few roofs as a favor to a building owners. this is how it works on roofs and this therory could be applied to AS trailers. a leak in a roof will cause the wet insulation's temperature to remain higher than the dry insulation after the sun goes down. we would bring the camera up on the roof just before sunset. the sun has been warming the roof and it's insulation and/or materials during the day light hours. as the sun goes down the dry portion of the roof cools faster than the damp or wet portion. what this actually looks like on the camera's sceen is a large puddle of white water. you then aim the camera at the whitest or hottest part of the puddle ---- thats where the leak will be found since that area will have the most moisture. i think this would work since the AS trailer's insulation will hold the heat due to the moisture. as an example of the sensitivity of this camera -- i have an air conditioned house and can see all the cross stripping above the drywall ceiling -- it shows the roof truss that the cross stipping is attached --the wall firring strips --- electrical pipes...... it's a pricey camera --1989 i payed over $38k for it...... tuna
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Interesting technique that I will remember for future leaks. We use IR cameras at the Fire Dept for searching for people in smoke or darkness, and looking for hidden fire or hot spots. I find it interesting that the IR camera won't "see" through glass.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
yes, it will not see through glass because of the high reflector ability of glass -- as we use it in scanning electrical equipment we have to distinguish reflections of shinny metals also. i have the old type unit that requires liquid nitrogen to cool it rather than the new refrigerated units. i find the older units to be very sensitive compared to the new ones. there are some conditions when we need to see a 1/4 or 1/2 degree temperature change on large electrical connections to determine if they are conducting or torqued correctly. the older units are heavy and bulky and i didn't like the idea of toting the camera up onto roofs. but it sure was easy to identify each leak. the first roof i did was a six story building that originally had all kinds of roof equipment mounted on the roof. this equipment was removed when a new tenant rented the building. they had been fighting major roof leaks for two years and the tenant was suing the building owner and moving out!! within an hour we identified seven different leaks caused by things like bolts or nuts left on roof surface below, or improper sealant around roof penatrations. like i said, each leak looked like a puddle of water with gradiants of different shades of white and black. when we got to the hottest part of the puddle -wam- there would be the cause!!! the roofing contractor bugged me for two years after that asking us to help him out.... another job was done as a favor to a city on a landmark building being saved for historical restoration and they had been fighting roof leaks for years --- we found the leaks were not on the roof but in the walls and then flowing down under the roofing paper.

the use of infrared on electrical systems is relativily new but it really works...
tuna
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
We use a few lab grade ones at work as well. When viewing items that are highly reflective, we have used baby powder or even flat black paint to reduce relections. This really does help when working on circuit boards or gold plated devices. I'm sure you've seen these tips if you've been working with thermal imaging for awhile but it may help some newer guys.

Josh