Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #341
_

. , .
i find this 3 year old quote/post from a COMPANY worker pretty funny on this issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
Excuse me if I have missed something but,what areas of your trailer are peeling? What year is your trailer?
Airstream built a complete trailer shell and it is sitting at Oasis in Tucson Arizona.
The trailer shell has been sitting there since 1999 with no signs of coating problems. Just curious.
anyone here actually SEEN this shell sitting at oasis in tucson?

it is post #6 in this thread, with a followup in post #11....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...tml#post164044

then there is ALSO the issue of PEELING finish on some of the 'alcoa coated streams...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...2-a-16344.html

this thread is also particularly relevant and one of the very early ones to cover the CORROSION issue....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f236...sues-8654.html

since it is about clearcoat peeling/corrosion AND wheel corrosion issues AND documents a/s providing some (hokey) repairs...

pay particular attention to the info and players noted in #8, #14, #28, #45, #53, #54, and #55.

all the pictures are useful and salt along with many other things are briefly addressed.

panel overlays, added trim and a varitey of other factory repairs for corrosion, that they are NO LONGER providing....

so basically 5 YEARS LATER the problem continues, many MORE folks have and know about the corrosion issue...

and a/s is doing LESS to deal with it....

something very strange about this BACK-PEDALING on owning up to and dealing with this wide spread problem...

that approach canNOT be good for business...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #342
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I personally have no complaints on the fact that when under warranty, Airstream did something and I appreciated it very much. I had thought the issue closed when I left the factory in spring of 2005.

I recall Airstream saying that they would service the heck out of their customers, and frankly, for the prices asked and paid for these, they should!

This isn't personal. As I've said, I like the folks at the factory, they are very nice, friendly folks. This is a business issue I have with the company overall and 2Air is right, they are not servicing their customers who are under warranty as they said they would and have done in the past for others. Some shift appears to have happened in the last 12 months where they are simply now being more selective on what they will address that is wrong with the product, and although I can fully agree that they have some things in the warranty wording that say the exterior is a maint item, I cannot accept the fact that this is as wide spread as it is and they expect folks to simply accept that pile of horse manure answer. I mean if this were some $8k SOB, I'd be less motivated, but we're talking a premium product with a significant issue that effects the overall appearance of the product and given the high prices paid, a lot more to loose on depreciation and value if the exterior in a year or two is already failing in some capacity! As I said before I wasn't looking for the finishes to last forever, maybe about 9-10 years, but heck with some new units on lots with it, what does that tell you?!

In the end this isn't going to go away from the looks of things and 2Air is again right when he says the problem is growing (with new units on lots with the issue from what we've heard), and Airstream is doing less about it.

At the beginning of this thread and someplaces in between I/we asked you to post on this thread:

Your units build date
Descriptons of the issues you've seen
Photos, photos, photos

Some have done it, some not.

Later on I/we asked that you PM me the following info to be added to an off forum list if you felt you wanted to participate in anything that may or could be done:

Name
Address
email address
Phone (optional)
VIN
Build date
Full description of the issues

Later as the list grew, I was planning on contacting all those who have not posted pics, to either post the pics or email them to me where I would add them to the database to hopefully and eventually take some sort of action, what that action is has yet to be really determined fully, but.....
To date, out of all these folks, I have received maybe 3 PMs from folks.

I am not promising anything will be done, but I am putting a list together. You can be on it or not, just as in this thread, you can choose to put the requested info in or not. If you post, photos speak louder than words.

I posted this a few hundres posts ago, but here are some pics (not great quality) of my corrosion issues around the time I first started this thread. I can tell you it's gotten slightly worse since these photos.

Airstream Issue
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #343
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
picking ours up tomorrow

and am very concerned after reading through this thread!

We have signed all the papers, payment has been made, etc., this is just a "shake down" night on the lot, overview with techies, install hitch, and off we go. I had thought we would still get to do an inspection prior to taking possession, but now I think the paperwork made it ours even though we haven't picked up yet.

Is it too late? Probably, yes. What do I do if I see evidence of problems? I will try to find the photos that have been posted to study them to see what exactly I am looking for.

We saw the unit, on a rainy day, weeks ago. Spent more time in than out. We had major aluminitis and the glow of the Airstream reputation and I am not sure if there was any evidence of a problem we did not know to look for.

We had not intended to purchase that day, really went just to look, so I hadn't done the research I would normally do before such a major purchase. The impulsivity was VERY unlike us! Hope we don't regret it

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #344
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Cat, you are hardly alone in being struck by aluminitis and signing before researching enough. They are so easy to want.

After the inspection, you will be given a document that says you inspected everything and it's all ok. I added a line something like this: "I inspected the unit and so far as I could tell, I could not find problems, but reserve all rights to make claims based on things I missed." They didn't like it, but what could they do? Lose the sale? or just accept it. They actually have a lot to lose from a failed sale. You don't have to accept a substandard unit.

No one can see everything in a few inspections, often too fast. They gave us 2 hours, I insisted on more time and got it. No matter what they tell you, deals can be undone if you don't want to accept the unit. Sales are slow, especially now, and they want to move the units (they borrow money to buy them from A/S, interest is running). You are in control, not them, although they don't like to admit it. If they threaten you or try to BS you, stand your ground. You can always say you'll post your experience on the Forum and name names.

Things rarely get that bad and I don't advise going in there looking for trouble, but being nice until you have to get firm is the best way. Never get in an angry confrontation or they will get defensive and it's harder to resolve issues. Just assert yourself quietly. Dealers come in all shades and some are better (or worse) than others. This is a very big purchase and you have every reason to be concerned, not just about filiform, but all the things that can be faulty on a new unit.

Welcome (I hope) to the Forum and I hope it will all work out.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #345
_

. , .
i agree with gene it's easy to get sucked into the silver vortex without a head, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat
...We have signed all the papers, payment has been made, etc....

...I had thought we would still get to do an inspection prior to taking possession, but now I think the paperwork made it ours even though we haven't picked up yet...

..Is it too late? Probably, yes. What do I do if I see evidence of problems?...
this doesn't relate to filiform corrosion specifically so i don't wanna hijack the thread...

on to the topic of "assuming ownership, taking delivery and signing papers"...

but once you sign it's YOURS.

the greatest leverage and least risk is BEFORE signing/accepting the unit.

for example IF it needs to go back to the dealer or back to j/c for work, you will have to take it and/or PAY to get it back there.

these are expensive purchases folks and if you sign without carefully inspecting or sorting out the issues...

the problems become yours.

not to make your head spin, and you'll need eye drops to read this stuff but,

here are some posts to help YOU better understand and be more informed 'cats ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/218755-post136.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/528020-post8.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...tml#post258138

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...tml#post483683

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...tml#post144289

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...ime-31954.html

while there are threads for EACH year, the 05 string has the most DETAILS about items that have needed fixing...

and how various folks have handled this with the factory or dealer network...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ing-11189.html

so perhaps ask the 'delivery/accept' questions in any of the above threads...

which may help you or other NEW BUYERS go into the transaction better prepared.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #346
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
UPDATE, the dealer, Airstream of Arkansas, has made all better, and I'm in a new 08 WITHOUT corrosion. More updates when they arrive!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #347
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
UPDATE, the dealer, Airstream of Arkansas, has made all better, and I'm in a new 08 WITHOUT corrosion. More updates when they arrive!
Well that's not all that shocking, A of A is a pretty decent shop. At first, I had thought you had gone to some unknow dealer. I would trust A of A to do the right thing for the customer from what is in their control.......

Besides being a forum member, I've heard nothing but great things about A of A.

Just know that it's without corrosion for now, and lets hope it stays that way for ya! Mine didn't have any either when I got it and it was only days off the factory floor when I got it, as it was a special order.

PS- Make sure you post your overall QC findings in the 2008 QC thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html
Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #348
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Congratulations Westphalia! Did you get it at the same price as the '07? What are they going to do with the '07?

Now you have to get it up your driveway and hope it isn't snowing in Evergreen. Looks like a chance of rain or snow starting Monday.

Post pictures.

Gene
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Great news

Quote:
Good to see that the dealer solved your problem, now all you have to do is change your signature to 08.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #350
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
My 07 had zero problems on delivery. It was however covered in de-ice. I'm not certain if there are salts in the formula that is used out here. What I do know is that within three months, it is all over the beltline and wheels. Keep us informed on this 08, it would be interesting to know if Airstream has changed there manufacturing process.
nine9three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #351
chandler

2006 19' International CCD
pelham , GA
corrosion 2006

I have a 19 CCD bought Dec 06. Spider corrosion scattered over top panels front and back as well as back panels at lights level. Lights also have corrosion. Trying to find Corrosion X or ACF 50. Boat suppy has Boeshield T 9 for aluminum boats and trailers. Anyone with experience with any of these products. Thanks Chandler
chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #352
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just got back from the dealer getting my wheel bearings repacked.

Took a look at the newer units that were in for service and each of them had various layers of corrosion all over them. They all made mine look like it had no issues, they were that bad.

Also, I noticed on a new Safari 27 FB, Airstream no longer seems to rivet on the VIN plates. They are now printed stickers with a clear overlay. Don't know if this is to help the corrosion issue or not, but found it interesting.

...oh and the protective clear overlay, the factory workers must have been on the sauce at lunch cause it was all over the side of the label, not on straight at all! Hey, but it didn't have any corrosion...yet!
Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine9three
My 07 had zero problems on delivery. It was however covered in de-ice. I'm not certain if there are salts in the formula that is used out here. What I do know is that within three months, it is all over the beltline and wheels. Keep us informed on this 08, it would be interesting to know if Airstream has changed there manufacturing process.
Some info on De-icing solutions. This is from the Washington State website.

This is an MSDS on Magnesium Chloride

Some states also use a mix of Calcium magnesium with Vinegar.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada and many others use this type of de-icer. It will corrode aluminum. I don't care what they say. If you get de-icer on your trailer I would wash it off at your earliest convenience.

There is no salt used in Oregon or Washington for de-icing roads. They sometimes use a solid de-icer that looks like salt when applied on the road.

Just thought you all might want to know what is in that wintertime road spray !

Check your states DOT website. They may very well have the info on there for you.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #354
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Some info on De-icing solutions. This is from the Washington State website.

This is an MSDS on Magnesium Chloride

Some states also use a mix of Calcium magnesium with Vinegar.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada and many others use this type of de-icer. It will corrode aluminum. I don't care what they say. If you get de-icer on your trailer I would wash it off at your earliest convenience.

There is no salt used in Oregon or Washington for de-icing roads. They sometimes use a solid de-icer that looks like salt when applied on the road.

Just thought you all might want to know what is in that wintertime road spray !

Check your states DOT website. They may very well have the info on there for you.
No Salt.....but they DO use gravel that kicks up and cracks your windshield about twice a year! OR must have one of the highest rates of windshield replacement in the country!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #355
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Well that's not all that shocking, A of A is a pretty decent shop. At first, I had thought you had gone to some unknow dealer. I would trust A of A to do the right thing for the customer from what is in their control.......
I took delivery of a 2008 model they had on their lot as a dealer trade. I had plenty of time to inspect it. In all fairness, there was one or two small spots of filliform on the belt line. I was not happy about it, but Gene got Airstream to step up to the plate and will have my local dealer install the classic belt line trim to cover these spots. I will treat the metal with the products mentioned in this thread to stop the existing two problem spots before it gets sealed up with the trim.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #356
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Me?

Quote:
Gene got Airstream to step up to the plate and will have my local dealer install the classic belt line trim to cover these spots.
Did I do something I don't know about? Did I sue them in my sleep? Do I have to send you a bill?

Gene
Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #357
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Congratulations Westphalia! Did you get it at the same price as the '07? What are they going to do with the '07?

Now you have to get it up your driveway and hope it isn't snowing in Evergreen. Looks like a chance of rain or snow starting Monday.

Post pictures.

Gene
No, it did cost me more than the 07, and while I wasn't really happy about that, I didn't feel that this was a 'bait and switch' situation. A of A made me a good deal (I'd rather not disclose the exact price) on the new trailer, and I was happy. It was either that or spend about $650 in diesel for a round trip drive with nothing to show for it.

It is snowing here now. I left the trailer in Denver at a RV park at storage rates. The family and I will drive down the hill on Friday for a weekend campout at the same park and tow the 27' back home on Sunday.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #358
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Did I do something I don't know about? Did I sue them in my sleep? Do I have to send you a bill?

Gene
Sorry, other Gene @ Airstream of Arkansas.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #359
_

. , .
good report westie and good outcome.

besides treating any spots and getting them covered,

get a GOOD coat (or 2) of a durable wax or polysealant on the shell as soon as the weather and time allows...

the small areas on mine are only in locations that were NOT waxed/sealed early because of arm fatigue...

i've covered this issue and products in other threads.

cheers
2air'

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #360
Rivet Master

Oh, I will as soon as it stops SNOWING! ARRGGH! I tried to get A of A to wax, but we didn't have enough time for their shop to get it done along with my punch list of repairs before needing to hit the road.