Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #241
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interim test results........

........with CorrosionX-Aviation formula:

I received the CorrosionX-Aviation about 2 weeks ago and coated my corrosion spots with it. In a few days, the white started turning brown and after about 10 days, I noticed that the raised texture of the filliform had been knocked down by the CX-A.

Now the corrosion looks brown instead of white, but noticeably smoother. BTW, the application is simple: spray on....wipe off. The formula says that it leaves a thin film on the metal, even thought you can't see it.

My overall impression.....it seems to be working! I'll give it more time and keep you apprised of the results.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
My replaced wheels from April are corroding again. Can I just use bare metals polish on them?
Lew I would love to see pictures of before and after and the tools you used.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #243
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
My replaced wheels from April are corroding again. Can I just use bare metals polish on them?
Lew I would love to see pictures of before and after and the tools you used.
Hi Carol,

No tools required.....just wipe the stuff on and let it work. I have a bunch of shots that I sent to Jackson Center, but I'll have to find them and then take some after shots. Should be a few days....................
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #244
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I talked to a dealer the other day and he said they "burn off" the clearcoat that has caused problems, polish the aluminum and use Pledge (huh?) for a final coat of wax. Sounds risky near plastic parts. He admitted there were problems from 1999 to 2003, though this thread indicates it went on until at least 2004. I don't know what you would use to burn off the clearcoat, but I seem to recall house paint can be burned off with a special took. Has anyone heard of this approach?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The problem has gone on through at least 2007 and since Airstream "claims" they don't know the cause it is probably going to be on the 2008's also. I have a 2007 20' that has it. Was treated with ACF50 by Airstream but didn't do any good. I'm desperately waiting for someone to find a cure.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #246
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I talked to a dealer the other day and he said they "burn off" the clearcoat that has caused problems, polish the aluminum and use Pledge (huh?) for a final coat of wax....
what was this clown smoking?

a/s does make some funny recommendations

like using pledge for the toilet bowl and gasket...

but run fast and far from that shop...

better yet ask him for a demo for the 'burn, polish and pledge' method.

on one of their trailers...

good grief.

i have more to post on the corrosion issue soon,

but it's a sunny day in idaho!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Quote:
I talked to a dealer the other day and he said they "burn off" the clearcoat that has caused problems, polish the aluminum and use Pledge (huh?) for a final coat of wax.
This is crazy - aluminum will distort badly when heated, plus loose the heat treatment, melt things, ruin sealant... stay away from that dealer!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #248
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down A Dealer???

Quote:
I talked to a dealer the other day and he said they "burn off" the clearcoat that has caused problems, polish the aluminum and use Pledge (huh?) for a final coat of wax.

WHAT.........A DRUG DEALER???
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #249
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have plenty of drug dealers in western Colorado, so I wouldn't have to go to Colorado Springs (hint) for clearcoat advice if I thought our local dealers were worth quoting. The whole thing sounded weird to me and I thought I'd run it past the experts.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #250
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I got a PM asking me where I was with this, so I'll share where I am right now. 2 emails to Dave Schumann, no reply, corrosion still getting worse and as most folks know, this trailer has been totally pampered. It sits indoors when not in use and I've used all the suggested cleaning/waxing products. This past summer, I have also moved a dehumidifier into the indoor storage, just in case as some suggested, too much humidity was getting to the exposed places where the coating was disturbed in the construction process (since all corrosion on the body of my Airstream seems to be areas where rivets were installed or sheetmetal was routed or cut). On top of all this, the trailer is washed and Walbernized 1-2x a season given my average use listed below.

Sad to report, even with the humidity lowered even further (which it was not high to begin with), kept indoors except when used (about 4x this year, total of 15 days, most no rain or bad weather), the progression of the corrosion continues. At the rate this is growing, my Airstream could be white in color in 7-10 years, or at the very least have these spider veins all over it, looking like something Elvira might own. Not exactly what I had in mind when I forked over 2-3x what an SOB costs. I myself didn’t expect the finish to last forever, but I did expect it to last more than 3 years. No vehicle that I have ever owned has had anything remotely close to this happen all over the body and 2 sets of cast alum taillights and rims in such a short period of time. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. For those of you that have this, you most likely can mirror how I feel.

The suggestions I got from the factory (via general phone and email support) were to sand down and put clear nail polish on the finish...great idea, you know how my trailer would look with this all over? Still wondering what would look worse, clear nail polish all over or spider veins all over. I'd be a big hit at Haloween rallys though....

Other suggestions were to come in and on my dime, have them install the belt line trim over the center exposed rivet line. Good suggestion to mask the problem, but IMHO, then what do I do when it eventually grows beyond that cover piece?

Bottom line, it appears to me there is no known way to prevent this and you basically appear to get it randomly...some have it bad, some not as bad, some not at all. However, more and more of us seem to report this is becoming more and more common. I myself can't see spending more $$$ on a new unit when I upgrade to a larger RV. My plan was to upgrade to a 31' Dinette, but after this, that won't be happening until I have demonstrable evidence that there is a manufacturing process in place and some real world data to back it up that this has been addressed, so that after 2-3 years, this isn't an issue. 7-10 years, I'd have less gripe, but starting at 2 years (and some far sooner)? I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation given the price we've all paid for these hand crafted beauties....

I swear, I love my Airstream, and I've met a number of the folks that build them and/or work for the company, and those folks I hold in a high regard, but the company overall appears to have totally dropped the ball on this one and IMHO, it's not a small thing. I feel sometimes like Cinderella....it's midnight, the warranty is up and I've turned into a pumpkin, as most of us out of warranty folks have experienced. Even if you are in warranty though, the suggested masks and fixes aren't all that exciting either, after paying a hefty sum to have such a cool trailer, is it worth it? There are days I'm on one side of the conversation and others where I'm on the other side. Either way, not a great place to be, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even if beauty was a horse.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #251
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Corrosion-X extended report

Well, after about 6 weeks of exposure after I applied the Corrosion-X Aviation formula to the filliform, I have not seen any other white spidery growth around the affected areas.

That said, the C-X turned the fillifirm a light brown, and actually seemed to reduce the height of it, but it is not gone....just seems to be stopped in it's tracks.

My next trial is to remove the corrosion entirely and expose the bare aluminum, match the finish of the original surface, re-treat the area and see what happens......in essence, making the area tatally invisible. I fully expect the C-X formula to protect the newly renovated areas. The challenge will be to develop a methodology that is relatively simple to perform and let the C-X do the rest in the way of protection.

I don't mind applying it once or twice a year.......just like waxing.

Stay tuned for the next report (and pictures)....hopefully with-in a couple of weeks!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #252
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Great Thread

By the time the Classic is as old as the Safari was when we sold it, it

should be down too bare metal......and your right, the fatory hasn't been any

help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N ON RT.66.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	48781  
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #253
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Well, after about 6 weeks of exposure after I applied the Corrosion-X Aviation formula to the filliform, I have not seen any other white spidery growth around the affected areas.

That said, the C-X turned the fillifirm a light brown, and actually seemed to reduce the height of it, but it is not gone....just seems to be stopped in it's tracks.

My next trial is to remove the corrosion entirely and expose the bare aluminum, match the finish of the original surface, re-treat the area and see what happens......in essence, making the area tatally invisible. I fully expect the C-X formula to protect the newly renovated areas. The challenge will be to develop a methodology that is relatively simple to perform and let the C-X do the rest in the way of protection.

I don't mind applying it once or twice a year.......just like waxing.

Stay tuned for the next report (and pictures)....hopefully with-in a couple of weeks!
Lew would you suggest I apply C-X on the entire trailer if the trailer is brand new and has no signs of corrosion as a preventative measure?
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #254
_

. , .
sorry but c-x isn't much good.

c-x is too much like wd-40.

it's a penetrate and lubricant, that claims to "make rusty chains like new" and do other silly things.

this summer i did a few simple tests with this product.

1. 2 samples bare aluminum, 2 samples soft iron, 2 samples galvanized steel, 2 samples brass

2. each sample was partially covered (with tape) and exposed to the out of doors for 2 weeks.

this was enough time and rain for significant rust on the iron, darkening of the galvanized steel and a light layer of 'stuff' on the aluminum and brass.

3. the covered areas were exposed and a patch was 'scuffed into each surface' with a scotch brite...

4. then each sample was treated with c-x. all of the metals was sprayed, coated or SOAKED in c-x.

5. 24 hours later another coat of c-x was applied.

6. the samples were then left outside in midwest weather. temps were 75-98 and it rained about 4 times over the next 5 weeks.

7. to make the test truely fair i left town in the a/s for the 5 weeks of exposure.

8. the samples were undisturbed during that time.

9. upon my return, the iron ALL had the same degree of rust, there was NO difference on the treated metal areas.

10. the galvanized steel all looked the same and the scuffed areas were rusty even with c-x.

11. the aluminum samples all looked the same too with not much visible change.

12. so the aluminum samples were RECOATED with c-x and the next day...

13. a weak salt solution was sprayed on the aluminum (na/cl and ca/cl were used)

14. 3 days later, following a rain the aluminum samples were EQUALLY corroded.

so imo c-x is useless after a short time and with exposure to rain and salt.

the product claims to NOT have any wax or silicones in it...

imo this is a negative.

boeshield t-9 DOES leave a waxy residue, which IS the principle long term corrosion/water protection...

Rust Prevention Rust Protection Metal Penetrating Lubrication Anti Corrosives Multi Purpose Metal Protection BOESHIELD T-9

there are multi product comparisons reported EARLIER in this thread....

that suggest t-9 lasts longer.

so to answer this question...

Quote:
...would you suggest I apply C-X on the entire trailer if the trailer is brand new and has no signs of corrosion as a preventative measure?
absolutely NOT with ANY of these products...

get a good coat of wax/sealant on it and repeat that as needed.

the trim pieces, light bezels, wheels and other bits that do NOT have clearcoat protection...

should be treated/coated with something, like a good bare metal polish.

then buy a can or 2 of b/t-9 and use it as needed on any filliform that may develop, it will last longer than other similar sprays.

as a last step for the truly compulsive spray some t-9 on a rag and coat all the rivet heads...

they are naked aluminum too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #255
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you ask me (and you didn't ), I think the factory may need to seriously look at getting back into the coating business in some way shape or form. From my exp with this, I am of the firm belief that no matter what you do, it's gonna happen. Waxing and keeping it clean represent only a small part of the overall solution.

In the attached pictures, you'll see sheets of alum, plain as day. Then there is a machine that they have at the factory that punches holes into the sheetmetal for the rivets. From there you'll see what a finished panel looks like and a the attachment process along the way.

When the alum is sitting on the shelves, it's totally coated with the Aloca added finish. When they punch holes into the coated metal, route out holes for windows, doors, etc, they appear to disturb the coating. Once that is done, and if the area disturbed, like a rivet for example does not completely re-seal the disturbed hole, water, humidity, and all things that effect aluminum can get into these areas and eventually show this problem. This is why I believe some have it bad and some not as bad, and some, so far not at all...it's all on how badly disturbed and successfully resealed the disturbed places are completed.

I say this from the standpoint that nearly every single place I have this problem can be traced back to a rivet line, edge, non-coated item or routed out hole. It's the only thing that makes any sense. As I've said, I keep mine indoors and keep it clean and waxed. It's most likely one of the most pampered Airstreams out there, without question. Something has caused this and frankly, if I'm even remotely correct, the only thing that may slow or stop this is for the skins to be re-coated after a part of production to re-seal the disturbed areas. Also, sealing the access door trim pieces and rims would also help. It is possible that adding some sort of gasket at the base of the rivet may also help seal the hole properly, but that won't solve the routed out holes and cut edges that show the issue, that's why I say clear the trailers entirely after production so that all areas are again sealed. Of course, we alll have seen in 10 years of less what the clear coated Airstreams do, but maybe a combo of the two processes? I don't know...all I do know is that a person spending 2-3x more than the average RV should expect less issues with the exterior.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that few, if any, have reported this on the inside of the CCD/SE skins? I may be wrong here and if so, please correct me, but the inside skins and rivets are the same as the outside, yes? Inside of trailers I would assume also get humid, not wet (typically) or exposed to the outside environment......just another thought.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	48806   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	48807  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	48808   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	48809  

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #256
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
BTW, has anyone else noticed that few, if any, have reported this on the inside of the CCD/SE skins? I may be wrong here and if so, please correct me, but the inside skins and rivets are the same as the outside, yes? Inside of trailers I would assume also get humid, not wet (typically) or exposed to the outside environment......just another thought.....
Good point, I would also like to know if anyone has seen this on the inside. FYI, I was at JC yesterday having some warranty work done, so I took the tour. While no one else was around, I mentioned to our guide (Don?) that I had read about some cases of filiform corrosion problems on Airstream skins. I asked him if Airstream was addressing these issues. He looked at me with a blank face, and said he had not heard of such a problem. Good salesmanship? ... maybe, but he has worked there for 45 years and seemed like an honest man.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #257
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I have yet to find any corrosion blemishes on the inside skin of our SE.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #258
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Aside from over a half dozen missing rivets, the inside has been spared this cancer.

What I find interesting (depressing) is that not only are the skins coroding, but EVERYTHING that is made of aluminum. The door hinges, the light bexel things. I've mentioned before that some of the bolts on our zip-dee awing show signs of corrosion, and those are not made by AS. Granted, our unit has not been nearly as pampered as twinks, but it has not been near sea water, driven around on winter salt and so on.

Maybe it's global warming. Or the Republicans.

At this rate, I think our Eurovan will outlast the CCD!

Jonathan
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Maybe it's ...... the Republicans.
No doubt.

(Hey, it's election day!)
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #260
_

. , .
mostly this thread is being bumped so folks can see it....

i like that.

we've covered the fact that a/s stacks, stores and uses the alcoa skin like pre-painted plywood.

so i agree the INITIAL issue is handling during construction...

and any nicks into the coating are potential spots for corrosion.

but the individual sheets of aluminum have a protective film layer that isn't removed unit they start the assembly process....

see the photo below.

i agree cutting, poking and so on disturb the coating at the edges....

and the rivets are BARE aluminum. most of the trim pieces are not coated and do not have the alcoa finish...

so applying the belt line trim really IS the best treatment when that is the location of corrosion...

my few small spots are NOT on rivet or skin cut lines....

they are where road debris peppered the unit and i failed to wax.

i have a hugh gouge in the side done (by me) on day one with the awning arm.

down to bare metal, but 2.5 years and no corrosion, because i wax that spot every couple of months...

lev...

you stored your unit in a heated building? for awhile?

heated storage is well known to cause rusting and decay, ask a car collector.

also it was washed ONCE? in 2 1/2 years?

the unit looks nasty in your photos (post 124) but most (none) of that isn't filliform corrosion...

the problem folks (our problem) is that calcium chloride and magnesium chloride are EVERYWHERE in middle america.

these salts are way more distructive than sodium chloride....

so while we don't have ocean costal salt, we do have extranastydon'tputthisonyourfood salt!

many news stories about cars and bridges and aero planes melting from this stuff.

and yes you folks near the 2nd city have this problem too...

lick yer trailer and tell me what it tastes like...

didn't you also have a set of suv wheels replaced for corrosion twink?

a/s hasn't dealt with this issue.

i suspect they don't know HOW to deal with it. NO ONE does yet.

using these more destructive road salts has only been an issue for 6-7 years.

so our best approach is to prevent/minimize it...

that means regular and frequent washings followed by LOTS of rinsing with salt free water.

and regular coatings of something.

the inner skin is much less likely to have nicks (they peel the film off later in construction...

and it has less exposure to corrosive elements...

cheers
2air'

click pic for bigger view....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	protective_layer.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	48826