Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1541
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
im feeling queezy about our first "long trip" in our new AS come may 2014 to the gulf of mexico (likely port st. joe) -

If when at the beach...is there any recommendations about applying a product of some sort on places that are prone? or particular procedure after getting home to prevent it?

In following this thread for a while...the only thing I know to do is to watch for the new beginnings like a hawk and treat with corrrosion x to prevent spread...I bought my first can of boeshield T-9 to treat the underbelly right off the bat when I get the trailer in november...

seems like the good news per this thread is that IF you can catch it pretty early and take these measures to mitigate...it will mostly mitigate/prevent to a large degree..I hope...

We will probably drag down to the beach 1-2 times per year besided other camping stuff away from the beach...so it is an additional concern about exposure to salty air.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #1542
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A gift from Alcoa & Airstream....filiform.

Bob
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #1543
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
2 year anniversary

I don't post often as my motorcycle forum gets most of my attention. I do lurk occasionally, checking for information as needed or looking for a solution to a problem. I did manage a post or two that irritated my local dealer. Now, on the eve of the expiration of the warranty, I am guessing I have a worthwhile post to share.
During the my Airstream spring cleaning I noticed moisture in a majority of the LED marker lights. If I had been using a power washer I could see that possibility but was only using a hose with the nozzle set on shower. I can't rule out that the water wasn't already there before I started. I filed that away as a "watch" item. Over the past couple of weeks my wife (who doesn't have a motorcycle forum to keep her occupied) kept mentioning the corrosion issue and just sent me the link. Lots of reading there with a couple of hijacks for diversion.
So...Monday I called Airstream customer service directly. I haven't been a big fan of the service from my dealer so why waste time right? Airstream said to schedule an appointment and it would be covered under warranty. Great, what's not to like? So I called and was told to bring it in this week (every visit in the past was always 3 or more weeks out) and dropped it off yesterday. I will have to say this visit was much better than the last few and gives me hope for the future. Preparing it for the ride, I noticed that the mirror in the bathroom had broken loose from one hinge on the way home from our last adventure. Perfect, we are going for a warranty visit. It was all written up and the service manager said she would submit it to Airstream.
I received a call from her today. There is moisture in only one light so they have been authorized to replace only one. Brilliant plan. I don't hold the service manager at fault as she can only submit it for approval, in theory. Part of me thinks maybe the dealer you bought from should be your advocate to get a proper repair, but maybe that's just me. If it is warranty work they get their money. Regardless, I assured her that I would pursue it with Airstream. She had provided me with the rep's contact information so he now has a voicemail waiting for him when he returns next week.
With nothing good happening in the motorcycle world this weekend, I clicked on the link my wife sent for this thread. Needless to say after reading too many posts, I am even more surprised with the decision to replace only one light. I haven't even checked for the corrosion. I am guessing that it is now in my plans to go on a field trip with a camera to visit my Airstream at the dealer. It will also be a good opportunity to see the famous Classic marker lights that I will expect to be getting.
Until I can talk with Airstream next week I would have to say that it is baffling that so many have posted how thorough their repairs for these issues are and that I am getting blown off with one light. I would think it would be an automatic at this point.
AL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #1544
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No, that's not the filiform that is found on panel suffices. Not sure if corrosion of any kind, but not clear enough for me to see.

doug
There is some corrosion on the door frame. It looks like rust or oxidation on steel, but I thought the door frame was aluminum. The orang/brown looking stuff (rust/oxidation/corrosion) is very apparent on the picture on the right, which is actually the right side.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #1545
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
There is some corrosion on the door frame. It looks like rust or oxidation on steel, but I thought the door frame was aluminum. The orang/brown looking stuff (rust/oxidation/corrosion) is very apparent on the picture on the right, which is actually the right side.
I think it's been mentioned already.....it may be the yellow adhesive used to secure the door gasket. Try some solvent, brake clean, acetone, on a small area. Should wipe clean.

Bob
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #1546
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
im feeling queezy about our first "long trip" in our new AS come may 2014 to the gulf of mexico (likely port st. joe) -

If when at the beach...is there any recommendations about applying a product of some sort on places that are prone? or particular procedure after getting home to prevent it?

In following this thread for a while...the only thing I know to do is to watch for the new beginnings like a hawk and treat with corrrosion x to prevent spread...I bought my first can of boeshield T-9 to treat the underbelly right off the bat when I get the trailer in november...

seems like the good news per this thread is that IF you can catch it pretty early and take these measures to mitigate...it will mostly mitigate/prevent to a large degree..I hope...

We will probably drag down to the beach 1-2 times per year besided other camping stuff away from the beach...so it is an additional concern about exposure to salty air.
The easier way to deal with corrosion is treatment before it happens. And washing right after exposure to salt environment. Followed by another treatment of corrosion product on the shell. Spray or dab it on and wipe it off areas prone to corrosion.

We use CorrosionX on all exterior cut edges of the aluminum, rivets, and fittings on a quarterly basis. If we were headed to the beach I would use it again just before I left, and wash and treat again after leaving. Boeshield T-9 keeps the underbody steel coated with paraffin wax and well protected.

No corrosion anywhere after two years, but we haven't been to the beach yet and would never tow on winter salt roads.

One can of Boeshield T-9 and CorrosionX is not enough to have on hand if you camp at the beach. Buy a six pack of each and use it frequently, always washing right after leaving the beach. If a spot of corrosion appears, gently remove it promptly and touch up with acrylic clear coat.

Wax it as well. Airstream likes the Glare product for surface protection and so do I. Seals and protects very well, bugs wipe off easily, and mfg clams a glass component for UV protection in the formula. Use this as soon as you bring it home as well.

This sounds like a lot of trouble but the prevention is very, very easy to do. The small touch-ups are not hard either. It's a metal trailer and part of the regular maintenance that comes with it if you want to keep it up. It will last a lifetime and look good all the way if you do.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #1547
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What about spraying clear coat on susceptible areas day 1? Or would that discolor ?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #1548
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
You will find it very difficult, if not impossible to match the proprietary manufacturing process that Alcoa uses.

Watch, clean and seal.

Bob
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #1549
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
[QUOTE=AL13;1350920]
........During the my Airstream spring cleaning I noticed moisture in a majority of the LED marker lights. If I had been using a power washer I could see that possibility but was only using a hose with the nozzle set on shower. I can't rule out that the water wasn't already there before I started. I filed that away as a "watch" item. Over the past couple of weeks my wife (who doesn't have a motorcycle forum to keep her occupied) kept mentioning the corrosion issue and just sent me the link. Lots of reading there with a couple of hijacks for diversion.
So...Monday I called Airstream customer service directly. I haven't been a big fan of the service from my dealer so why waste time right? Airstream said to schedule an appointment and it would be covered under warranty. Great, what's not to like? So I called and was told to bring it in this week.......
.........I received a call from her today. There is moisture in only one light so they have been authorized to replace only one. Brilliant plan. I don't hold the service manager at fault as she can only submit it for approval, in theory.....

If the water in the lights has evaporated, and the wires into the back of the fixtures are sealed well with Acryl R, you should be OK. Lights seem to keep working even wet. I wouldn't want to seal the h2o in since sooner or later the moisture would win. JC took my word for how many new lights I needed, but then, I sent them several pictures of different lights. My deal, will return to JC any we don't use. I asked for 7, showed the dealer 5 I wanted replaced. Use the other two if moisture noted elsewhere.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #1550
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For what it is worth, I was just looking at my 2014 20' FC and found that the door handle is now isolated from the skin by two thin black rubber gaskets. I don't know if that has been reported in the past, I can't recall it being so.

Maybe the factory is listening a little, at least.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1551
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post

Maybe the factory is listening a little, at least.

I surely think they would be wise to do so.

We are on our first Airstream, bought used when it was just a few years old. It has a number of small spots of filiform that I am trying to deal with - without a whole lot of success at making them vanish!

I imagine that many Airstream buyers, like me, have perfectionist tendencies, and really get ticked off at these cosmetic faults.

As I grow older I am becoming a little more tolerant, and my wife has been telling me for many years to not worry so much about little insignificant things, but they are significant to me and old habits die hard.

As things stand now, we enjoy our Airstream and I would seriously consider trading our 2005 in on a new Airstream - but I would be so p*ssed at having this problem on a brand new trailer that I absolutely will not buy one until - or if - AS get a handle on this.

In reality it will probably be too late for me if they ever do solve it!

I suppose they have enough new buyers that know nothing of this corrosion issue so that maybe it is not enough of a priority for them to find a solution.

Surely there must be something they can do!

Brian.

PS - the other somewhat related problem I have had on our 2005 is all kinds of problem with riveted connections failing on the underbody panels.

Gosh knows how many rivets I have had to replace.

I think this may be related to our annual winter drive south when salty road spray washes the underside of the trailer for at least the first day of the drive. I do wash the trailer as soon as I can when we get far enough south, but I am guessing that salty water gets up inside the belly pan and just lays there, leaving salt deposits when it does dry out. This salt just gets re-activated each time we drive in the rain. That's my theory anyway! I almost wish they would not enclose the underbody - then at least I could get at things and clean/maintain properly

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #1552
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Stop drooling on them?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #1553
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
If the water in the lights has evaporated, and the wires into the back of the fixtures are sealed well with Acryl R, you should be OK.
Agreed, but the big if is are the wires sealed well. I went to visit my Airstream. I now have a good collection of corrosion pictures to attach to an email to the JC rep. I spent some time looking at many of the lights on units in for service. Some of similar vintage have the same lights I have, with corrosion and moisture, some have the thicker gasket with no observed corrosion and moisture, and then there are the upgraded lights with no corrosion or moisture. All the new models have the thicker, upgrades gaskets by some coincidence.

I'll update after I talk with the rep on Monday. For all that have contributed information and their resolutions in this thread, thanks. Some scoff at forums as a resource, but my motorcycle forum taught me better.
AL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #1554
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
I'm sooo super bummed. I took my rig to the beach last month then had her professionally washed and waxed and noticed all sorts of squiggly lines all over. Im guessing this is what most of you are calling "filiform",

I cant expose myself to the chemicals (for various health reasons) that most of you are talking about and I cant afford to pay someone to do the work for me!

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
silverwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1555
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
lets see if the attachments went through this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2837.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	195183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2824.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	195184  

Name:	DSCF2836.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	195185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2838.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	195186  

silverwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #1556
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
I'm sooo super bummed. I took my rig to the beach last month then had her professionally washed and waxed and noticed all sorts of squiggly lines all over. Im guessing this is what most of you are calling "filiform",

I cant expose myself to the chemicals (for various health reasons) that most of you are talking about and I cant afford to pay someone to do the work for me!

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
A dental scaling tool to clean the filiform out completely, clean well with soap/water, dry completely and coat with a brush-on clearcoat. A quality nail polish or auto clear. It won't look as good as a more aggressive/complicated chemical approach, but will stop the spread.
I've used a similar routine,(substitute mineral spirits for S&W), on many spots on the end caps with VG results. Out of sight out of mind.

Good Luck...

Bob
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #1557
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
This is what my 2013 International's grab handle and street side wheel well trim looked like at the end of April. We took delivery of the trailer at the end of February.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door Grab Handle LFT.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	195200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Grab Handle RTjpg.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	195201  

Name:	Street Side Wheel Well.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	195202  
Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #1558
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
This is what my 2013 International's grab handle and street side wheel well trim looked like at the end of April. We took delivery of the trailer at the end of February.
Those can be polished and or wet sanded out.

I just re-polish when necessary.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07824.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	195212  
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #1559
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Considering your location near the coast, I would consider that a precursor to filiform corrosion around rivets, panel edges, and external fittings as well as underbody corrosion of steel parts.

Post #1546 in this thread is a method we use with great success so far (although we don't live near the coast).

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #1560
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL13 View Post
I don't post often as my motorcycle forum gets most of my attention. I do lurk occasionally, checking for information as needed or looking for a solution to a problem. I did manage said to schedule an appointment and it would be covered under warranty. Great, what's not had provided me with the rep's contact information so he now has a voicemail waiting for him when he returns next week.
With nothing good happening in the motorcycle world this weekend.
You don't frequent Advrider, do you? I wish I'd never have found it.. It's an addiction..ha..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote