Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #1261
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Sal,

How did you get the light off?

Don
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #1262
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is so sad that Airstream created a new corrosion problem with the new LED clearance lamps. I think Airstream should take care of the skin problem.
I agree, but my dilemma is that replacement segments could look worse than spot repairs.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1263
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Davie , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT
Sal,

How did you get the light off?

Don
The newer lenses are held on by two clips and some two sided tape. You just pull them off and the chrome base has two screws. I believe older models have lenses that have to be broken off.
Sal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1264
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal44 View Post
The newer lenses are held on by two clips and some two sided tape. You just pull them off and the chrome base has two screws. I believe older models have lenses that have to be broken off.
The older lenses do not have to be broken off. Unfortunately the clips on the first model LED light were made of plastic and break easily. I explained this in the post I wrote earlier covering the installation of the cast aluminum bezels.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #1265
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal44

Just pull straight off? So you need to pry underneath the lens or poke something under the lens to trip the clip?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #1266
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This sounds like those cheap plastic clips that come with lots of vehicles—they install fast and cost little, so manufacturers like them. Repair shops like them because they can sell you new ones to replace the ones just about anyone breaks trying to remove something. If you don't have a shop manual you can go nuts trying to figure out how to remove something without breaking it, and the shop manual probably doesn't explain it either.

I tried to remove the step light lens to better seal it, but couldn't figure out how to. I didn't want to break the lens, so I gave up and sealed around it. If it ever burns out, I'll probably ignore it since it doesn't light up much of anything.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #1267
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I tried to remove the step light lens to better seal it, but couldn't figure out how to. I didn't want to break the lens, so I gave up and sealed around it. If it ever burns out, I'll probably ignore it since it doesn't light up much of anything.

Gene

Gene,

I tried six waze from Sunday on that lens....then i noticed the printing on the bottom edge....."lift up to remove" duh.
#64 bright white 13 element LED bulb solved the illumination lack.

Bob
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #1268
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Bob. I'll get to it in a few years. The patio light does the job anyway.

Gene
Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #1269
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Davie , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT

Just pull straight off? So you need to pry underneath the lens or poke something under the lens to trip the clip?
I pulled mine off by hand. No tools. The clips on mine are metal and they pull right out. It seems the two sided tape and sealant do more to secure the lens than the clips do.
Sal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #1270
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Great. Thanks. I'm back and forth with AS on this issue but getting close to a resolution. They are very receptive so far, so I am optimistic.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1271
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Wrote my letter to AS. The corrosion showed up within the first 30 days of owning our trailer.
They are going to put the light casings on. I just have to get my trailer to the local dealer.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of them installed.

Jeff
Well I can't get a picture up of my new castings under the lights. Photobucket is not letting me into my own account??
I did want to report that Dave and Tim from Jackson Center came out to St Louis and worked on my 23FB FC late yesterday and this morning. They put the new castings under all 11 running lights, and they look very good.
There were some other issues I was having (furnace, black water sensor, propane tank cover, interior lights, and of course the white corrosion around the running lights.)
They fixed everything. My AS looks like, and operates like, I had hoped it would!!
I still have a bit of the corrosion around the rivets and edge on one corner panel, but they treated it with Corrosion X and Boshield. It is pretty hard to find at this point.
I will try again later to post a picture of the new light base. It has all the corrosion covered for now..
I really can't complain at this point. They (Dave and Tim) made a trip out from Ohio to St Louis to try and make sure I was satisfied. They are both great to work with.. First class!

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #1272
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Glad to hear you got some action. Would you mind describing exactly what they did with the Corrosion X and Boshield?
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #1273
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Well I can't get a picture up of my new castings under the lights. Photobucket is not letting me into my own account??
I did want to report that Dave and Tim from Jackson Center came out to St Louis and worked on my 23FB FC late yesterday and this morning. They put the new castings under all 11 running lights, and they look very good.
There were some other issues I was having (furnace, black water sensor, propane tank cover, interior lights, and of course the white corrosion around the running lights.)
They fixed everything. My AS looks like, and operates like, I had hoped it would!!
I still have a bit of the corrosion around the rivets and edge on one corner panel, but they treated it with Corrosion X and Boshield. It is pretty hard to find at this point.
I will try again later to post a picture of the new light base. It has all the corrosion covered for now..
I really can't complain at this point. They (Dave and Tim) made a trip out from Ohio to St Louis to try and make sure I was satisfied. They are both great to work with.. First class!

Jeff
Jeff, thanks for the report. Did they reuse the old lights when installing the new castings? Any problems getting the plastic lens covers off without breaking the tabs? I need all this done too as I have some corrosion popping out from under my running lights. Looking forward to your picture of the new casting base. Thanks, Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #1274
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:

Jeff
You silver tongue devil, how did you manage having them travel to you?
Whatever you did, it works!

Looks like Airstream at Jackson Center has reached a new high in customer service.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #1275
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Well folks, after some back and forth with AS it looks like I am to receive the new castings for each running light as well. The have to send the items to me (no dealer within reasonable distance) so when I receive them and implement the repairs I will post a play by play with pictures here.

So far I am satisfied with AS customer service. Don't get me wrong - the corrosion defect due to the LED marker light design should not have occurred and when it was discovered it should never have taken AS so long to rectify. Corporately they need a swift kick in the profit margin or some other motivational means to get the lead out efficiently. But the Customer Service group has been above average in my opinion.

Don
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #1276
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Don, that's good news. The pix are what this thread needs, look forward to seeing them and the steps you use to complete the repairs.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #1277
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
Jeff, thanks for the report. Did they reuse the old lights when installing the new castings? Any problems getting the plastic lens covers off without breaking the tabs? I need all this done too as I have some corrosion popping out from under my running lights. Looking forward to your picture of the new casting base. Thanks, Russ
I specifically asked if they used the original lights, and was told they did re-use them. It's somewhat confusing in that I was also told that they don't have to disconnect them, but it would be impossible to get the cast base in place without disconnecting them. They also used some "I think" silicon sealant to go around the new base.
I will try a picture again tonight. I'm traveling today.. (work is in the way)

They did show me how the tabs pop in and out of the old base. They look fairly strong. It's a complete unit with more of a centrally located clip. One near each end. I suspect they just carefully pry them apart.

Hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #1278
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Well folks, after some back and forth with AS it looks like I am to receive the new castings for each running light as well. The have to send the items to me (no dealer within reasonable distance) so when I receive them and implement the repairs I will post a play by play with pictures here.

So far I am satisfied with AS customer service. Don't get me wrong - the corrosion defect due to the LED marker light design should not have occurred and when it was discovered it should never have taken AS so long to rectify. Corporately they need a swift kick in the profit margin or some other motivational means to get the lead out efficiently. But the Customer Service group has been above average in my opinion.

Don
Don,
I agree with what your saying, and I might add that these new bases are only going to be standard one one model. (I assume the most $$ models)
I'm not sure if they are going to change anything in regards to current flying cloud production.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1279
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
Glad to hear you got some action. Would you mind describing exactly what they did with the Corrosion X and Boshield?
I was not there when they did any treatment to the corrosion, but I was told they went over it first with the corrosion X, then coated it with the Boshield.
Dave also told me to spray on some Boshield monthly, then wipe off the excess.
He also told me to apply a coat of the new protective sealant they are selling. I am not sure of the name. I'll go to the website and double check. It's called Glare, I think.. He said it was good for 12 months..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #1280
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It seems people get different responses from Airstream on warranty issues. Perhaps it is who you talk to, how you talk to them and the positions of the planets. If I get stymied with someone at the bottom at any company, I go right to the top and that has usually worked for me.

But there is a strange thread about a leaker Airstream ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1157314 ). It is hard to tell exactly what happened, but this is a story that sounds like a total breakdown between customer, dealer(s) and Airstream.

Gene