Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #1801
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To be clear - only some corrosion on the handle itself - none on the clear coat

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #1802
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Many pages on this if the search function is used. Interesting info. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #1803
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Airstream should issue a service bulletin

The only people with broad enough experience to possibly know if their intervention (corrosion x and others) works is Airstream and it's dealers such as they are and for whatever reason they seem to be reticent to take the lead. In the Seattle area our dealer is new, the last one having folded a couple of years ago.

In my experience of one it doesn't seem to matter whether I use corrosion x or not. I have not tried to remove the corrosion. It seems to simply sit there, and perhaps progress minimally over time. I'm not happy with this, as it is unsightly and noticeable on a reasonable look at the unit. But I don't want to undertake a fix that will be sub-standard and make the areas involved more unsightly.

I would like a guide on it's removal and prevention, but my guess is they have legal concerns about acknowledging a problem they've known about for many years. Regardless, it would be helpful to understand this better.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #1804
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagoff View Post
The only people with broad enough experience to possibly know if their intervention (corrosion x and others) works is Airstream and it's dealers such as they are and for whatever reason they seem to be reticent to take the lead. In the Seattle area our dealer is new, the last one having folded a couple of years ago.

In my experience of one it doesn't seem to matter whether I use corrosion x or not. I have not tried to remove the corrosion. It seems to simply sit there, and perhaps progress minimally over time. I'm not happy with this, as it is unsightly and noticeable on a reasonable look at the unit. But I don't want to undertake a fix that will be sub-standard and make the areas involved more unsightly.

I would like a guide on it's removal and prevention, but my guess is they have legal concerns about acknowledging a problem they've known about for many years. Regardless, it would be helpful to understand this better.
You are right on. They are not going to touch this issue further, but I disagree that Airstream and dealers the only ones with broad experience. Filiform is not just an Airstream issue, it's an issue with aluminum that is sealed with a coating of paint or clearcoat. Leave the aluminum bare or anodize it and, no Filiform.

Corrosion x will stop, will not remove. To remove, you must sand the area and that will leave different color skin. I've done so and if you want to see one fix, look at post this thread dated 10-9-13 (or near that date.)

I've called Alcoa several times for help on this, the so called expert engineer on this never returns the call. AS customer service will give a little help on techniques of scraping Filiform webs and applying corrosion x/clear coat pen, but by far the best info dealing with this is posted here. Yes, most posts are questions and complaints, but tried and true answers from owners are posted also. Read them, try them, many work. Or like Gene C. says, move to the desert.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #1805
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I'll hit the rims with the T9 for sure.

How the hell do I dissolve the X from the microfiber - put in washer with detergent - seeming did nothing
Use an old rag/towel/wash cloth or old t-shirt, etc. and throw it in the trash when done- or throw in in a metal can/bucket for next time-
Don't use a nice new microfiber cloth...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #1806
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - I assumed (whoops) - the X would simply come out with detergent - oh well

Sucks about this - but from what I have read here - corrosion x seems to halt the growth of the filiform - as such it's the best we got I guess

Took me half a can to treat the entire trailer fairly liberal in those areas

Where can I get a clear coat pen mentioned?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #1807
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Costco had clear coat pens. I think you can also order from Airstream.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #1808
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Very new here, so I suspect this may be blasphemy, but...

...what's the take on just painting an Airstream?

I mean, the aluminum is beautiful, but realistically aluminum airplanes are (mostly) painted for protection - those that aren't are known to need a LOT of care to keep shiny.

Just wondering how an Airstream would look painted in a really glossy silver - or any color of choice, for that matter.

Do I need to duck for cover???
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #1809
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Very new here, so I suspect this may be blasphemy, but...

...what's the take on just painting an Airstream?

I mean, the aluminum is beautiful, but realistically aluminum airplanes are (mostly) painted for protection - those that aren't are known to need a LOT of care to keep shiny.

Just wondering how an Airstream would look painted in a really glossy silver - or any color of choice, for that matter.

Do I need to duck for cover???

Hi, Airstreams have been painted before. Mostly with silver paint. Argosy's have been painted in several colors besides the factory colors. We plan to have our trailer painted someday when it starts to look real bad.
And I don't want it to be silver either. We will want something unique and won't care what others think because it is for our enjoyment, not someone else's. So I say, do not duck for cover.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #1810
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would paint ours if it started looking rough, but it would be silver. I doubt most would see the difference. To me that would be the final solution to extensive filiform corrosion if everything else is in good shape.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #1811
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
Xzylon coating

Hi all:
I thought I would post this since this seems to be an on going and probably never ending problem with new AS's. We bought a very slightly used 2012 28 International CCD in the late summer of 2012 from a well known local dealer. When closing the deal, we were told that the previous owners had paid to have the trailer coated with a product called xzylon. It was "a new surface protection developed for Boeing to protect the surfaces of their planes". Supposedly protects from acid rain and corrosion, so we were told. The xzylon had a 3 years warranty but to keep the warranty current we would need to have the TT recoated to the tune of $675. We agreed to the new coating thinking it was a good investment for the protection of the TT. We spent one night at the coast on our shake down trip, brought the trailer home, washed it and put in covered storage for the winter. Last spring, after bringing it home and washing, I noticed several spots of filliform on the end cap and around lower streetside rivets. We also had corrosion around most of the clearance lights that were replaced by the dealer at no charge. When I asked the dealer about the filliform, he said they had never heard of it on a TT with the xzylon treatment and would contact his xzylon rep. This trailer had 2 treatments of xzylon, which has a 3 year warranty, in less than a year and still was getting corrosion. To make a long story short, the dealer and xzlon will not stand behind the cost or repairs to our trailer. I have told everyone i have met not to fall for this scam since some were thinking about it, and hopefully now the forum knows also. You can by a lot of wax and sealer for $675. I have bought my X and t9 and will do my best to stop this from spreading.
Kingfish52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #1812
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish52 View Post
Hi all:

I thought I would post this since this seems to be an on going and probably never ending problem with new AS's. We bought a very slightly used 2012 28 International CCD in the late summer of 2012 from a well known local dealer. When closing the deal, we were told that the previous owners had paid to have the trailer coated with a product called xzylon. It was "a new surface protection developed for Boeing to protect the surfaces of their planes". Supposedly protects from acid rain and corrosion, so we were told. The xzylon had a 3 years warranty but to keep the warranty current we would need to have the TT recoated to the tune of $675. We agreed to the new coating thinking it was a good investment for the protection of the TT. We spent one night at the coast on our shake down trip, brought the trailer home, washed it and put in covered storage for the winter. Last spring, after bringing it home and washing, I noticed several spots of filliform on the end cap and around lower streetside rivets. We also had corrosion around most of the clearance lights that were replaced by the dealer at no charge. When I asked the dealer about the filliform, he said they had never heard of it on a TT with the xzylon treatment and would contact his xzylon rep. This trailer had 2 treatments of xzylon, which has a 3 year warranty, in less than a year and still was getting corrosion. To make a long story short, the dealer and xzlon will not stand behind the cost or repairs to our trailer. I have told everyone i have met not to fall for this scam since some were thinking about it, and hopefully now the forum knows also. You can by a lot of wax and sealer for $675. I have bought my X and t9 and will do my best to stop this from spreading.

'Scammers' is too nice a word for these snake oil pirates. They are clearly selling a useless placebo product which they probably rationalize as a way to make owners feel more safe. With no intention of honouring the warranty though, they deserve to be shut down.... To sue these jerks isn't worth the hassle but it might be some comfort to know that the Airstream community knows them to be low-lifes of a particularly contemptible species. Spread the word brother.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #1813
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
Filform Corrosion

I am up for a class action law suit.
deanNdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1814
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If you read the read the warranty on the paint protection it probably states that if it fails they will apply it again at no charge and nothing about damage repair.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #1815
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I had the same corrosion problem around the lights, the dealer replaced all 7 lights with adding a base to them and cleaned up the corrosion around them. Surprise to me they also replaced the whole rear bumper with brand new one without asking. That was surprise even though old bumper was getting discolored I did not ask for the replacement. The dealer also fixed some minor stuff outside with out asking.
I was extremely pleased with the Airstream folks as well as their dealer for the outstanding service. They also provide me a can of Corrosion X. I vote for working with the airstream for any corrosion problem rather than talking about class action law suit.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #1816
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Last checked on this thread back in spring of '09. Looking again and since "Aluminitis" is a pretty permanent condition, I thought I'd check in to see if the problem was solved. Oh my goodness! Over 1800 posts now. Amazing. Still love the look of those Airstreams we see on the road though. I think they cause more rubbernecking than any other vehicle on the road!
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #1817
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
To date we have brought ours back three times. Dealer was very helpful until the corrosion re-appeared after the the repair. To date all the marker lights have been replaced and the corrosion repaired. (Re-appearing). Door hinges repaired, unsatisfactory. Rear bumper replaced, and then damaged at the shop. Still waiting on a replacement. Rear tail lights replaced due to corrosion. After third trip back was told to contact airstream. Basically got no where with them. Class action lawsuit, you bet. Guess 70k does not buy much manufacturer support. Also btw we have the extended warranty. Read the small print. Corrosion not covered in either warranty. Dealer did the repairs out of the goodness of their own heart. Can not blame the dealer, they are not getting the support from the manufacturer. I am still not a very happy camper( pun intended)
Dean
deanNdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #1818
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
dean, besides faulty design or manufacturing, what were the environmental conditions that may have led to your extensive corrosion problems?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #1819
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanNdonna View Post
I am up for a class action law suit.
I'm with DeannDonna, a class action suit deserves some attention.

As for Zea's comment about working with the dealership; that's great IF you're under Airstream's warranty. Many of us are out of warranty. AND, for me joining a class action suit would be more out of principle. We all spent good money for our rigs and we shouldn't have to deal with corrosion.

Just my two cents.
silverwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #1820
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Airstream can easily change the alloy of their raw aluminum sheets, if they cant then they need to shoot their bean counter. After all these years they do know what alloy is best to use! Raw material cost is not an issue here except to a greedy bean counter...