Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1233
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Great report! Looks like the makings of another "Hallmark Moment" in Airstream warranty work.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #1234
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Davie , Florida
Hi all,
I'm a pretty new airstream owner. As a matter of fact I've had my 2012 27fb only since Jan. Last week I was getting the trailer ready for this season and I found, yes, you guessed it, CORROSION! So far I see it around the 4 corner light and the door handle. Im in the process of getting an answer from the warranty department. My plan is to head north from NC towards MI so I wouldn't mind driving by JC to get work done. After reading this thread it blows my mind that airstream is denying claims to fix this. I'll update when I get an answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-976070147.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	157994  

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #1235
2 Rivet Member

Davie , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
A report from Airstream on my corrosion problems and what has been done.

Had warranty work done on Monday along with a talk with a customer service rep about the filiform corrosion. So far I've won 2 and another is pending - but I expect to lose the pending.

Wheels will be replaced under mfgr warranty as less than a year old. Waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Marker Lights. Airstream has some new aluminum castings that surround and support the marker lights that are going to be used on the 2013 Classics. These are nice and can be installed without removing the light. My trailer now has them and they more than cover the area that had corrosion - and they look great. The corrosion was treated before installation and they are well sealed - not only between the casting and the trailer but also between the light and the casting. I suppose the filiform at some point in the future might sneak out from under the edge but I doubt it. I'm totally pleased with Airstream's response and when I talked to the service manager and mentioned that I thought the problem was being caused by the light base cutting into the clearcoat due to over tightening he said that Airstream had reached the same conclusion - and they have a fix. A rubber pad about 1/8" thick and slightly larger than the light base is now being used. I saw a 2012 International on which these had been installed and it looks to me like it should solve the problem.

More on the lights. The lens by itself cannot be removed. The lens, LED module etc are all one unit that with snaps on each end which fit into the base. The first version of the LED Marker Lights had plastic snaps which were very easy to break - thus the "you have to break them to remove them" info. The ones now have metal snaps and remove easily. There is also a piece of double sided tape that fits over the hole in the base the wires feed through - I guess to help seal the hole. You have to punch a hole through the tape for the wires during installation.

Hope this helps a bit. Wish I had a camera so I could take pics of the new castings but unfortunately I don't. Will be at a rally in a few weeks and if someone hasn't put up some pics by then I'll ask Steve Mentz to take some of mine for posting then.

Looks like I won't get to find out what the Jackson Center Jail is like after all!
Sounds great Al. Thanks for posting. I would be satisfied with that kind of help from JC. Did you treat your corrosion before having JC work on it? Wondering if I should try to slow the corrosion down since it may be a month or so before I can get it worked on.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #1236
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sal', you probably shouldn't monkey with that before warranty work, just another reason for them to pass the buck. But I would definitely spray it with some anticorrosion spray, CorrosionX, Boeshield, or even WD-40.

doug k
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #1237
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Sal', you probably shouldn't monkey with that before warranty work, just another reason for them to pass the buck. But I would definitely spray it with some anticorrosion spray, CorrosionX, Boeshield, or even WD-40.

doug k
You can treat it if you want - I used some T9 on mine but it didn't do a lot of good. But it's no use mentioning corrosion and warranty in the same sentence. Airstream does not normally recognize corrosion as being covered by any warranty - unless maybe its a part with a warranty from the distributor or mfg such as my wheels. I think the reason they are doing something about the marker light problem is because they recognize that they screwed up. But even that may not last forever.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1238
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
A report from Airstream on my corrosion problems and what has been done.

Had warranty work done on Monday along with a talk with a customer service rep about the filiform corrosion. So far I've won 2 and another is pending - but I expect to lose the pending.

Wheels will be replaced under mfgr warranty as less than a year old. Waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Marker Lights. Airstream has some new aluminum castings that surround and support the marker lights that are going to be used on the 2013 Classics. These are nice and can be installed without removing the light. My trailer now has them and they more than cover the area that had corrosion - and they look great. The corrosion was treated before installation and they are well sealed - not only between the casting and the trailer but also between the light and the casting. I suppose the filiform at some point in the future might sneak out from under the edge but I doubt it. I'm totally pleased with Airstream's response and when I talked to the service manager and mentioned that I thought the problem was being caused by the light base cutting into the clearcoat due to over tightening he said that Airstream had reached the same conclusion - and they have a fix. A rubber pad about 1/8" thick and slightly larger than the light base is now being used. I saw a 2012 International on which these had been installed and it looks to me like it should solve the problem.

More on the lights. The lens by itself cannot be removed. The lens, LED module etc are all one unit that with snaps on each end which fit into the base. The first version of the LED Marker Lights had plastic snaps which were very easy to break - thus the "you have to break them to remove them" info. The ones now have metal snaps and remove easily. There is also a piece of double sided tape that fits over the hole in the base the wires feed through - I guess to help seal the hole. You have to punch a hole through the tape for the wires during installation.

Hope this helps a bit. Wish I had a camera so I could take pics of the new castings but unfortunately I don't. Will be at a rally in a few weeks and if someone hasn't put up some pics by then I'll ask Steve Mentz to take some of mine for posting then.

Looks like I won't get to find out what the Jackson Center Jail is like after all!

For our future reference, and since your still at JC, can you find out what the new part numbers are for the new marker lights that they used on your trailer and let us know?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
For our future reference, and since your still at JC, can you find out what the new part numbers are for the new marker lights that they used on your trailer and let us know?

They didn't change the marker lights - did you by chance mean the new aluminum castings that they installed that the lights fit on? The marker lights themselves are available from the Airstream Store - and the price is under 18 bucks - noticed them earlier today when I was killing time.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1240
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I misunderstood. I do that often!
So to get this straight in my mind, they use the same marker lights and just add a casting to the base of it, right?
If that is correct, that is the part number I'd like to know, if you would be so kind to find out for me the next time you are in the shop.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #1241
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
That is correct. I'll ask Amy in the Airstream Store tomorrow if she can get them for me. There are two types - flat for the sides and curved for the lights across the roof in the back. As far as I know only the LED lights can be used with the castings.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #1242
2 Rivet Member

Davie , Florida
Thanks Doug and Al. I'm still waiting to here from JC.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #1243
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
after sealing the belt line

Well here is my belt line sealed and railed! Looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beltline.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	158007  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #1244
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
That is correct. I'll ask Amy in the Airstream Store tomorrow if she can get them for me. There are two types - flat for the sides and curved for the lights across the roof in the back. As far as I know only the LED lights can be used with the castings.

That would be great!
I have the teardrop style LED's on my trailer. I don't have any corrosion problems yet, but the castings sound like a nice addition to the exterior of the trailer.
The only problem I have is that the sealed lights get foggy from moisture entering the plastic lens after a rain. It takes a long time for them to clear up.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #1245
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Part numbers for Aluminum Marker Light castings:

Flat - 115563

Rounded - 115564

Didn't ask price - suspect since its a Airstream part it's somewhere in nosebleed territory.

Also suspect you will have to go thru dealers to order these unless you get them at Jackson Center in person.

If any additional info is needed give Amy in the Airstream Store a call.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #1246
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Al-K4GLU,
Thanks for the part numbers.
Good thing you didn't post the $$ figure. I have a headache already and don't need a nose bleed too.