Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #1149
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think the new LED clearance light fixtures are a source of corrosion. The frames are designed to fit the curves of the trailer, but seem to "dig into" the clear coat at the ends. This breaks open the surface and filiform will begin in the opening.

I would like to remove mine so I can inspect under them and maybe file down the ends where they contact the shell.

There are no screws to hold the lenses, anyone know how to remove them?

doug k

Chris, you should remove your fixtures as well to clean up this corrosion and apply some clear touchup over it. Then treat it with CorrosionX on a regular schedule. The Boeshield will leave a light coating of the paraffin wax that could also help.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #1150
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
dkottum is exactly right...

With the possible exception of the oval nameplates, EVERYTHING ELSE that penetrates the surface utilizes some form of gasket material, and until recently, clearence lights were surrounded with a bead of sealant. (Never had any corrosion whatsoever with those).

Oh well, I guess that procedure didn't survive the latest round of cost-cutting...

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #1151
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
La Quinta , California
Running lights corrosion

I have a 2011 International 27FB and had corrosion on 6 of my running lights. The running lights have to be be broken to be removed....FUN!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #1152
DMT
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto
I have a 2011 International 27FB and had corrosion on 6 of my running lights. The running lights have to be be broken to be removed....FUN!
Interested to know what you did about it. Was it repaired under warranty?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #1153
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto View Post
You have to break them to replace or re-seal....thats krazy. Plastic?

Hope they were covered.

The base's are well sealed on ours, it's the lens gasket thats hard to keep from leaking. Made all new gaskets last season...SFSG.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #1154
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I tried to remove the step light near the door, but all I could find was a small slot on one side. Inserting a screwdriver accomplished nothing, so it never got opened. I wanted to make sure it was sealed underneath. I ran a bead of Acryl-R around the outside.

Things you have to break to "fix" usually are the cheapest junk made in my experience.

The courtesy lights have a screw through the center of the lens. I haven't gotten to sealing them yet. No gaskets.

We have very little filiform compared to others—just some on the door hinges and taillight housings. I keep looking for it.

Gene
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #1155
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
It seems odd that some of you have no sealer around the clearance light fixtures. Mine are all sealed with Acryl-R from the factory. My trailer is now 2 years old. I have the kind with no screw thru the center. Maybe Airstream has stopped using a sealer on the outside of the clearance light trim for 2012, or someone just forgot to do them.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #1156
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
La Quinta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Interested to know what you did about it. Was it repaired under warranty?
Managed to cause enough stink that Airstream took care of it.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #1157
DMT
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbphoto
Managed to cause enough stink that Airstream took care of it.
RB,
I may have the same problem on my 2011 27FB. Did you deal with customer service at Jackson Center or your dealer? Who did the repair (factory or dealer) and can you advise exactly what they did please? Are you satisfied with the results? Any advice is welcome.
Don
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #1158
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This is a really disturbing thread. It seems that there are more and more problems everyday with this type of aluminum corrosion on the streams. And the individuals who bought these trailers have to try to solve the problem, when out of warranty. It's just not right.
Those pix that CMS4140 posted in post #1148 really tell the story.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #1159
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Unhappy The Filiform creed....

"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor." Horace

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #1160
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I had an early 2011 28' FC, which was built in June, 2010. Every red/amber position light was protected by a bead of sealant, (as was every light on each one I owned prior to that one). At some point in time between then and August of 2011 (when this one was built), a decision was apparently made to discontinue that time consuming procedure.

It was also obvious that they were mounting lights on flat surfaces, which were clearly made to be mounted on curved surfaces...you know, a "one size fits all" approach. Unfortunately, it just didn't occur to me at the time that these lights would have to be regularly bathed in CorrosionX along with everything else...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #1161
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
La Quinta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
RB,
I may have the same problem on my 2011 27FB. Did you deal with customer service at Jackson Center or your dealer? Who did the repair (factory or dealer) and can you advise exactly what they did please? Are you satisfied with the results? Any advice is welcome.
Don
I got approval from Randy McNeeley Airstream Customer Support Team and C&G Trailers in Los Angeles removed,treated with corrosionX and installed new running lights.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #1162
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Outstanding! Glad to see they're taking some responsibility for manufacturing errors. I didn't get anything but some advice, regarding corrosion issues, from Airstream during the warranty period. If I recall, they suggested I sand it off, and cover it with clear nail polish. Guess I didn't make enough noise.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote