Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #1135
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Advice needed please

I've read many of the posts dealing with corrosion and, being a realist, knew that it was a question of when, not if, I had to deal with it. So I'd like to ask once again (knowing that this horse is well beaten), your input on my coarse of action.

For the taillight assembly, door handle and battery box frame:
My plan is to remove the protective coating with mineral spirits or scraping. Allow a coating of corrosion x to work on it for a while. Remove with mineral spirits. Allow to dry. Polish with Met All. Finish with a coating of plasticoat. All of this is with the area well taped to protect the surrounding areas.

For the white veins coming out of the rivets: Remove the clear coat using mineral sprits and scrape the corrosion away using a sharpened plastic putty knife (recommended by Jackson). Treat with corrosion X. Let sit for a bit then remove with mineral spirits and replace clear coat with either clear nail polish or the pen that I bought of the Airstream website.

After treating the seams, protect with a layer of Boeshield and continue to Walbernize twice a year.

I would appreciate any heads up as far as potential pitfalls or any additional steps that you would suggest.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1136
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

MP,

Used this is the procedure for the battery door frames, the polishing/sealing was the final step. Plan to use the same this year for the tail light bezel's.

Check post #489 for how I refinished the entry door hinges'.

You have a good plan stay with it.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #1137
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Thanks

Thanks, Bob, yours was one of the posts I'd planned on following, right down to the choice of beverage
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #1138
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Better have a six-pac....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #1139
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Cosmetic I can live with...everything gets time and trail worn...(I understand this every time I look in a mirror) but as long as this does not affect the structural integrity of the unit, I'm cool with it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #1140
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I am going to begin posting on my process for dealing with this monster. I want to thank everyone in this forum who has posted on this issue for the benefit of learning. So far it appears that the process is 1)sand the area to remove surface corrosion, 2) prep the area for sealing with paint/sealer coat, 3) Seal the area. I have read outside reports on aluminum issues - NASA, etc. This is not specific to Airstream. A few years ago a new alloy formula was recommended in a study called marine grade- to be called such as a category. At any rate we have what we have right? I am just starting my work. My coach sat for six years unchecked it would seem so my condition trumps what I have seen here in pics. The beltline is my first target. I purchased two types of brush wheels on the advice of a retired plane maintenance guy at our church - a brass brush 3/4" wide 3" diameter flexible for working around rivets and a nylon finisher brush for use before painting. I started the work and the brushes are fantastic! On other advice I soaked the area in corrosion X. When the brush action begins there are pops of the corrosion areas with a powdery release then the area turns black from the corrosion X getting to the metal. I clean and then reapply the corrosion X and move on to the next area. So far I have one side done. What a difference! My next step will include sealing. I am still finalizing recommendations on what to use. It should be some sort of paint substance as an oil sealer is like suntan lotion - easy go. From what I have read, the choices vary from acrylic clearcoats to polymer epoxy type products. The issue is that some epoxies do not stick to aluminum very well. Let me mention though that according to what I have read so far, saltwater has nothing to do with our corrosion problem (they call it a misconception in two studies) but a natural process accelerated by humidity which is usually higher in coastal areas. It is obvious that on our AS the "edges" of cut or puncture of rivets are the points of exposure.

Robert, great process and beautiful door frame! What paint did you use in your coats? After prepping, was paint the only coating type?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #1141
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"Robert, great process and beautiful door frame! What paint did you use in your coats? After prepping, was paint the only coating type?
Yesterday 12:43 PM"

Rod,

The battery frames were scrapped with a razor tool then sanded with 600,800 and finished with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and polished with Griot's Metal Polish.
I then sealed with the same sealer I use on the rest of the Airstream.

The entry door hinges were painted with Rust-Oleum Aluminum paint #7715
Post #489 in this thread for the procedure.

I've considered using a small wire brush wheel but haven't worked up the nerve yet....post pic's of your procedure, may help boost my courage.

I recently got a new clear-coat that i plan to try on some areas that are in need of a touch-up this year.
A marine grade gel-coat repair, I'll post the results.

Good Luck....and keep posting here.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #1142
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
Cosmetic I can live with...everything gets time and trail worn...(I understand this every time I look in a mirror) but as long as this does not affect the structural integrity of the unit, I'm cool with it.
I hereby nominate you for Airstream's "Best Customer" award.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #1143
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Update

Spent the better part of the day working on the door handle and a couple of the rivit issues. I thought it came out well. Bob, the beverage of choice was Sierra Nevada Summerfest ( always looking forward! ). Hope the pics come out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Handle Before.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	154766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Handle After 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	154767  

Name:	Fill Form Before.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	154768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fill Form After.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	154769  

Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #1144
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

I recently got a new clear-coat that i plan to try on some areas that are in need of a touch-up this year.
A marine grade gel-coat repair, I'll post the results.
I haven't been following this thread recently, so I may have missed something. But isn't gel coat for fiberglass? How would it work on aluminum? Or is that what you are going to discover?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1145
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I haven't been following this thread recently, so I may have missed something. But isn't gel coat for fiberglass? How would it work on aluminum? Or is that what you are going to discover?
Yep....Trial & try again, the 'structions say "clear resin" coatings and when I called the mfg'r they said it should be compatible. Plan to try it on an area behind the segment protector.

MP,

It looks like the SNS did it's job, look'n good!!!!

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #1146
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I hereby nominate you for Airstream's "Best Customer" award.

ehh...I don't like the idea of the corrosion, just saying if it does not affect the structural strength of the trailer, I can live with.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #1147
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Spent the better part of the day working on the door handle and a couple of the rivit issues.
Looks great MonkeyPants. You are an inspiration!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #1148
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I thought I would share another round of before and after pics on one of my "spots". This is after 5 applications of Corrosion X, 3 washings, and a round of sealant (Meguiars #21). Boeshield T-9 up next.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	154966   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	154967