Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #1023
1 Rivet Member

Chesapeake , Virginia
Lurker observation

I keep coming back to this thread to see if anything promising has occured because I have been a possible new purchaser. If nothing else, the total lack of response from Airstream and its customer service approach reflected in these threads, has convinced me to stutter for more time before considering ANY of their products. In fact, they seem to me that they are a company that should fail.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #1024
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Funpilot, in spite of the bitching, most of us truly love our Airstreams. They provide a functional beauty, pride of ownership, and an emotional attachment to the great road trip days of America's past. Others say they they like five slideouts, but they stretch their necks to admire the Airstreams.

The corrosion is a headache, but we will deal with it because we know that the other guy's trailer has its problems too.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #1025
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
...... In fact, they seem to me that they are a company that should fail.
Should fail.....no.

Could...yes

Lot's of folks here hope'n their ears are open.

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #1026
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Also, don't forget about the vintage beauties out there. You could probably have one professionally restored for the price of a new one, or less, and have exactly what YOU want.
The history of Airstream is much more illustrious than it's current status as a company and the historical trailers are also more illustrious than new, IMHO.

Rich the Viking
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #1027
1 Rivet Member

Chesapeake , Virginia
Great feedback

I did not think of those alternatives. Where in these forums would be the best place to research that option? Who is good at restoring? I agree that there is nothing more attractive than these airstreams IMHO. That is why I keep lurking here.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #1028
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Fun....

Start here.... http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/

Enjoy!!

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #1029
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Get in touch with Frank Yensan at Franks Trailer Works (62overlander), or one of the other restorers out there. I think Franks has a deal where you can get a trailer from him and have him restore it for you at a discount of some kind. I don't recall the details.
Rich the Viking
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #1030
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
One of a kind

We had a 1968 Ambassador rebuilt......and now we have a one of a kind very well built Airstream.....and yes, the skin is not perfect....it has a few beauty marks but it adds to the character. She is polished so shiny that she continues to burn our outdoor rug in the sunshine.....this is definitely an alternative to a new Airstream.....just depends upon what floats your boat. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #1031
3 Rivet Member

buy a bus

you can buy a fantastic bus for 55k, i bought a very nice unit for 14k that will last another million mile and is much stronger and safer than any airstream
Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #1032
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I bought my first Airstream on April 1, 2010. I wonder what I would have done 13 days ago, if I had known about this apparent plague.

I sure hope there is a happy ending to all of this. Concerned.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #1033
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This plague, like the European ones in the Middle Ages, does not strike everyone. We've had our Safari 2 1/2 years ago and have none. Good luck.

Of course, lots of us have many problems with QC, but some don't. Good luck again.

Gene
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #1034
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I was looking at ads for the 2011 Airstreams to see what changes have been made when I came across the ad from Sutton and they offer, "Xzilon Molecular Exterior Aluminum Protection, as perfected by Boeing." Has anyone heard of this or had it done by a dealer? Is this a new option for Airstreams?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #1035
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Oregon City , Oregon
Portland AS Dealer

Speaking of Sutton, there is a new AS dealer on McGloughlin Ave at Jennings, Milwaukie, Or. Yea!

Stopped in to chat. Have an 05, 25ft Safari. They said they could sell it in a day for more then I paid. Great. Only problem, a new one costs twice what I paid. Hmm.

We talked a bit about corrosion too. One of the factory reps was there. Interesting conversation. No admissions, but they were all genuinely concerned and would do their best to assist to deal with spot corrosion. From what I could gather the best way to cope is to polish it out and then refinish with clear coat. I also think a good coat of wax will go a long way in some but not all prevention. I applied the wax last fall, last inspection, no new corrosion as of May.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #1036
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I agree about the wax; but despite my valiant effort, mine is beginning to show small signs of corrosion in a couple of spots (where water droplets tend to hang around too long after a rainy period).