Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #967
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I just started looking at my wheels carefully. I was taking photos, but my wife (the only human I know who understands this @#^* electronic camera) left me with nearly dead (now completely dead) batteries, so I'll have to have her charge it when she gets home and if they come out, I'll post them.

But so far the coating has come off the spokes as follows:

RR wheel, a small piece about 3/8" square.
RF, a long strip about 4 or 5" long and 1/2-3/4" wide.
LF, a sort of square 1"- 1/2-2".
Battery quit, check LR later.

There are also a lot of little mars in the finish. I've never seen so many problems with an aluminum wheel.

Gene

Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #968
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Gene......would this help????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	293818883_4e74042d37.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	87871  

"I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in...."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #969
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Even if you overnight it Bob, Barb will get here first.

Gene
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #970
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I just started looking at my wheels carefully. I was taking photos, but my wife (the only human I know who understands this @#^* electronic camera) left me with nearly dead (now completely dead) batteries, so I'll have to have her charge it when she gets home and if they come out, I'll post them.

But so far the coating has come off the spokes as follows:

RR wheel, a small piece about 3/8" square.
RF, a long strip about 4 or 5" long and 1/2-3/4" wide.
LF, a sort of square 1"- 1/2-2".
Battery quit, check LR later.

There are also a lot of little mars in the finish. I've never seen so many problems with an aluminum wheel.

Gene

Gene,

My Alcoa wheels are not coated. I did clean them up a month or so back with "Mother's Mag & Alum. wheel polish," and they came up very nicely.

It was a good thing I did polish them because I found a number of hairline cracks where the spokes meet the rim on two out of four wheels.

Luckily, they were just within Alcoa's five year warrantee and they replaced them for me. They no longer make my size wheel (15"x7") but were able to find a couple of new ones at a dealer.

I just installed the new rims last week along with a set of Centramatics. Now awaiting arrival of a TPMS and hopefully I will be set for a while!

As for corrosion on the our trailer, (a 2005 Classic 30) so far it seems limited to castings such as the door grab handle and tail light surrounds, not sure what to do about it - probably sand and paint. I don't believe this is the filiform corrosion that is the main subject of this thread.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #971
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Glad that worked out for you Brian. Nice that they made good on it.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #972
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have photos of the coating peeling off 3 of the wheels. Another photo doesn't show it so it can be seen though it's true of the 4th wheel too. The 3 you can see are below. The letters on the Post it note in the center refer to the wheel location; the arrow points to the place where the coating has come off. There are lots of scratches, pits, holes or other mars in the coating also. To see the peeling, blowing them up helps.

I didn't find any hairline cracks like Brian did, but now I have another thing to worry about. Maybe I should put the trailer up on blocks and just use it here.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010041.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	87935   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	87936  

Name:	P1010043.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	87937  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #973
_

. , .
hi gene

wow those big square yellow splotches look HORRIBLE, good luck with that.

those rims are common generic rv/trailer rims widely used and standard equipment on many rv brands.

they are also available from many 'rv wheelz r us' vendors...

made in china, they have a typical spray on clear coat that gets nicked up instantly and regularly.

they can be stripped and re sprayed, or waxed as new but eventually crud up again...

i'd love to blame a/s for ALL issues, but this one is universal to the crappy generic trailer-wheel industry...

otoh u might try covering them with a paper mache of post-it-notes in various pastel colors, that would be purrrrdy.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #974
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi gene

wow those big square yellow splotches look HORRIBLE, good luck with that.

those rims are common generic rv/trailer rims widely used and standard equipment on many rv brands.

they are also available from many 'rv wheelz r us' vendors...

made in china, they have a typical spray on clear coat that gets nicked up instantly and regularly.

they can be stripped and re sprayed, or waxed as new but eventually crud up again...

i'd love to blame a/s for ALL issues, but this one is universal to the crappy generic trailer-wheel industry...

cheers
2air'
I'd have to agree with 2Air on this one to a point.

Yes, many manufacturers that have alum rims have this issue and the issue can be caused by a variety of things. Where I start to split is where under warranty, everything should be covered. If Airstream, Winnebago, Prevost, Ford, GM, etc took enough care in procuring items to be assembled with their product, then these companies own any of the issues that come up from said product and is up to the company to battle it out with it's suppliers, not for the customer to have to shell out more $$ on their dime. It's called Customer Service and is why the profit margins on these babies are as high as they are (as far as I can estimate).

The alternative is to either find or build a better mouse trap and if one does not exist, or cannot be built, cover it under warranty, and once out of warranty, it's up to the customer (up to a point, with that point being that far too many units have this issue to simply be put aside as a maint issue-- and I'm not simply talking rims here). Normal wear and tear is expected, but you can't tell me that units sitting on a dealer lot, that have for the most part only seen a trip from OH to the dealer and show these issues as a maint issue.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #975
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
2air,

Thanks for the Post it notes suggestion. I do have a variety of colors, though I think I need stronger glue.

Generic or genetic, them is the wheels Airstream put on and goes right along with other quality issues, this one related to corrosion of the body panels and attachments. Are not the wheels an Alcoa product (like the body panels) as is frequently said here on the forums?

Steel wheels may be the answer to this though needing an old fashioned hubcap too.

Gene
Old 09-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #976
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Oh, and BTW, funny how we've all been talking about this for 2 1/2 years (some longer) and how it appears that so little has changed...... that in of itself speaks more than nearly anything we can post here.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #977
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
SR

Been there, done that....

Bottom line.....did it myself. Although strictly speaking it's not filiform, corrosion is corrosion and it's a real PITA.
Nice job Robert, could you elaborate on what you did to remove or polish out the corrosion?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #978
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Moto.

See posts 489 and 493 of this thread...

Hey gang...are we gonn'a have a party when this thread reaches 1000.

"I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in...."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #979
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...Are not the wheels an Alcoa product (like the body panels) as is frequently said here on the forums?...
basically NO.

the forged alcoa wheels were used primarily on excella/classic models ENDING in 2006.

alcoa discontinued production a year or 2 before a/s stopped USING them...

the alcoa rims are UNcoated and need polishing,

but don't crud up in the same way as cheaper cast alloy rims made from misc pot metals and used on safari/ccd/international and other models..

typically the alcoas have a CENTER CAP with the alcoa brand label and a STICKER on one spoke, with the specs STAMPED into the back.

photos of these and care issues are covered here...but you'll need sunglasses to look at the pix...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...els-41145.html

the basics are also back on page 1 of THIS ongoing crud thread see post #63 or 64 or 65? ...

and forget the glue, use some homer formsby shellac.

apply post-itz in layers with a hefty coat of sheeeeelac between each layer, like baklava...

maybe a different color post-it for each wheel, THAT would be purrrrrrrdy.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #980
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My Wheels that had the cracked spokes are identical to the ones (Alcoa) that 2Air refers to.

I haven't read of anyone else on this forum experiencing cracks, so I guess it isn't an epidemic.

When I first contacted Alcoa after finding the cracks, I asked if there was any recall. They told me there had been on a 16" version of this design, but not on my 15" wheels.

They don't make these wheels any more.

No idea what caused the cracks. I don't believe it is anything I had done. We only bought the trailer last Fall and made one cross-country return trip with it.

Its quite possible the cracks were there when I bought the trailer as they were not easily seen. I only found one when I recently polished the (non-coated) wheels for the first time recently. Even then, at first I thought it was just a scratch. A 7x magnfier showed otherwise.

I then examined all spokes on all wheels and found other cracks.

Now that I have four good wheels in place, I plan to watch them pretty closely. These wheels are rated 2200# max., and many other 15"x7" alum. wheels I see on teh net are 2800# and even up to 3600# or so.

Mind you, 2200# "should" be ok as the GVW of my trailer is 8700# - pretty close march though.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote

« The 23D thread | Top | - »