Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #925
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaVet96 View Post
Meanwhile there are some innovative competitors in the wings. I've been following this thread for a year hoping to see a resolution because we just fell in love with the Airstream. It will be our first RV though, and at our age and financial situation, possibly our last, so it's got to be right. I've scoured the internet and the shows for something fairly light with great design and great quality - like Airstreams! The new Trailmanor Elkmont is a good step in the right direction, but it sure doesn't generate the excitement of an Airstream design. Then today, I came across a new company, Earthbound RV. Folks, they're small and just starting out, but if many companies start producing the trailers like they show on their website, Airstream better watch out. The whole focus in their 44 page Introduction and Construction download is quality, hi-tech lightweight construction, innovation and more quality. And yes, they're aluminum. Like I said, they are just starting out, but if this is any indication of where the industry will go on the other side of the recession, it is exciting. To us, one of Airstream's biggest selling points is the community of Airstreamers, and no other brand will compete with that for a long, long time. Quality is equally important though, and surviving competitors as well as the new ones are going to be all over that subject to build/rebuild market share.
VaVet,
I had a look at the Earthbound RV and was equally as impressed as you are. Sure, they don't yet have an extended dealership network but the craftsmanship and attention to detail and quality could put this new travel trailer in the same league as the Airstreams (especially considering all the issues we are having with the shoddy workmanship and poor quality of the end product these days). I will definitely consider this product when I'm ready to upgrade from my 17ft Safari Sport. You guys should check out the interiors of these trailers...leaves Airstream with a lot to be desired.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #926
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Filiform Corrosion - Annual Update

One year ago I treated my filiform corrosion with Corrosion X and Boeshield T-9. (See my 2008 article, "Filiform corrosion").

Based on my experience, I agree with 2air's comments that Boeshield T-9 seems to be more effective and longer lasting because it leaves a waxy residue. See 2air's comments and test results here.

2air' also noted the importance of using a good quality automotive wax such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Sealant #20 as noted here.

This is my third season of applying Meguiar's Professional Sealant #20 to the entire trailer and my second season of using Boeshield T-9 to corrosion areas and all rivets along the belt line.

See my latest article, "Wash, wax and treat", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community, May 30, 2009.

Below are comparison photos of a sample of my filiform corrosion. The one on the left was taken May, 2008, and the one on the right is how it looked this month, May, 2009. (The circular whitish areas around the rivets seen in the latest photo are actually incompletely removed waxy residue from Meguiar's sealant).

(Click on the photos several times to see the largest image.)

This and other filiform corrosion areas seem to have not gotten any larger since last year and I believe this is due to using T-9 and a good quality polymer wax/sealant.

I will continue to monitor and report on this annually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0256 Filiform 2008.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	81198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0107 Filiform 2009.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	81199  

Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #927
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Photo update

Due to recent photo/attachment problems with Airforums.com, the previous image of my 2008 filiform sample was unable to be enlarged when clicked on. I have re-submitted it below.

In summary, my experience so far indicates that filiform corrosion can be prevented and/or controlled by yearly cleaning, washing and waxing with quality products and by applying anti-corrosion products such as Boeshield T-9 and should not be the sole reason for not buying or keeping an Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0256 Filiform 2008.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	81305  
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #928
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Filiform 2009

Since the thumbnail attachments of my post #926 have been disappearing and reappearing sporadically over the past 24 hours, I posted my 2008 filiform sample earlier this morning in post #927 and my most current 2009 filiform sample in this post.

As mentioned in above, I will be monitoring and reporting on my filiform annually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0107 Current filiform 2009.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	81308  
Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #929
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Well, I can certainly add my name to the list of those with corrosion problems. To date, it seems to be confined to the smaller parts - brake lights, door handle/hinges. But it ain't pretty.

I'm going to be going over this massive thread a bit more thoroughly to see what can be done to halt the progression.

My unit has never been subjected to salt other than a couple short trips to Florida next to the ocean (and the occasional over-enthusiastic margarita glass preps).
Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #930
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Due to recent photo/attachment problems with Airforums.com, the previous image of my 2008 filiform sample was unable to be enlarged when clicked on. I have re-submitted it below.

In summary, my experience so far indicates that filiform corrosion can be prevented and/or controlled by yearly cleaning, washing and waxing with quality products and by applying anti-corrosion products such as Boeshield T-9 and should not be the sole reason for not buying or keeping an Airstream.
I guess I need to get some Boeshield T-9, can someone help with a easy way to buy it?
Then I'll start the waxing process.. We bought a 04 Bambi, I noticed the white crud, but the sales guy said, no problem, "they all have that."
We've wanted a AS for ever, I guess we were a little blinded by our eagerness.
I just picked it up Thursday, had to take it back today because of overwhelming propane smell in the morning, if closed up all night.
I wonder if I could just get my $$ back?
Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #931
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
We ordered Boeshield T-9 (aerosol) directly from Boeshield.com.

Sorry to hear about your Airstream problems so soon after picking it up.

Acquiring an Airstream should be a joyful experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I guess I need to get some Boeshield T-9, can someone help with a easy way to buy it?
Then I'll start the waxing process.. We bought a 04 Bambi, I noticed the white crud, but the sales guy said, no problem, "they all have that."
We've wanted a AS for ever, I guess we were a little blinded by our eagerness.
I just picked it up Thursday, had to take it back today because of overwhelming propane smell in the morning, if closed up all night.
I wonder if I could just get my $$ back?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #932
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Bioshield didn't prevent anything, at least not in our case.

Don't use anything now except a good cleaner with clay and a sealer.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #933
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Corrosion X works for me on my 2008

about once every 3-4 months, I spray the edges at the beltline where the filiform started with Corrosion X. I let that sit overnight and then put a good thick coat of carnuba paste wax over the seams. The Corrosion X seems to wick back into the corrosion lines and stop it. You know it has neutralized the corrosion when it turns a dark grey or black color instead of the white. I have been doing this since I first discovered the corrosion and it has not progressed any more in the last year and a half. Corrosion X is available at Academy, West Marine, and probably most boat supply stores.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #934
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
Where to buy Boeshield

Boeshield is available at good BIKE STORES! It's an aviation product - actually developed by Boeing for use in their planes, but also great for bikes. Basically wax in a thin solvent that evaporates. Comes in a liquid and a spray.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #935
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh350 View Post
about once every 3-4 months, I spray the edges at the beltline where the filiform started with Corrosion X. I let that sit overnight and then put a good thick coat of carnuba paste wax over the seams. The Corrosion X seems to wick back into the corrosion lines and stop it. You know it has neutralized the corrosion when it turns a dark grey or black color instead of the white. I have been doing this since I first discovered the corrosion and it has not progressed any more in the last year and a half. Corrosion X is available at Academy, West Marine, and probably most boat supply stores.
Once it turns the corrosion dark grey or black, do you scrape it off? I have the white now that I have left on.. I've got some pretty good sized patches, I would think if they turned black, they would really show up.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #936
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Jeff,

The filiform corrosion is under the clear coat and not easily removed. After I used Boeshield T-9 the corrosion gradually turned from white to gray and was less noticeable.

Another member has tried other techniques as seen here and here.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Once it turns the corrosion dark grey or black, do you scrape it off? I have the white now that I have left on.. I've got some pretty good sized patches, I would think if they turned black, they would really show up.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #937
1 Rivet Member

Chesapeake , Virginia
Well, lets hope Airstream monitors these posts... I was about to go shopping for a new airstream but after reading this thread, I will not purchase one without a specific warranty from Airstream guaranteeing that this corrosion will not occur. As an attorney, I know they will not do that, so I will look elsewhere.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #938
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post

Another member has tried other techniques as seen here and here.

Bill
The above repairs were done to correct pealing clear-coat not filiform,

just another PITA problem.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote