Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #1221
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The problem with the LED Clearance Lights is that they're being over tightened during installation and the edge of the fixture is cutting thru the clearcoat. The edge is very sharp - if you run your finger along the curved part in the middle of the light you can see just how sharp they are - but do it gently if you don't want a cut. The lights are contoured - unfortunately they don't match the contour of the trailer and this contributes to the over tightening. This will be pointed out to whoever - or is it whomever - from customer service I talk to on Monday but I expect they will deny this is the problem. It is also something that Airstream could fix rather easily - but I seriously doubt they will.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #1222
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I think you are exactly right about the edges cutting through the clearcoat, causing the corrosion; and that should be obvious when the first one is removed for inspection.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #1223
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
FWIW, I'll pass along my experience with our trailer.

We just got our 2007 27FB back from winter storage yesterday and it has no panel corrosion at all except for 3-4 small stone chips at the front. I touched those up with clear nail polish about 3 years ago and they are less than 1/4" in diameter.

- our trailer is washed 2-3 times per year with a high quality car wash soap and a long-handled brush
- I use Boeshield every 2-3 months and before winter storage on all panel seams by dripping it out of the small dropper bottle and letting it run down the vertical seams or along the middle horizontal seam. I often don't wipe it off.
- the tail lights have a small bit of corrosion about the size of a dime. I was sent replacements under warranty but have not bothered to install them yet. I think I will wait until (if?) it gets much worse.
- the trailer is stored outside during May - October and inside on a concrete pad during the winter months
- it was manufactured in Feb 2007 and delivered on clear roads in early April but there would likely still have been some salt remaining on the highway during the 300 mile trip from JC to the dealer
- the trailer has been mostly inland but was in Acadia Maine for a week and Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI for 2 weeks right on the ocean. I probably washed it when we got home but I don't recall.

I am posting this info not to gloat, but to hopefully add to the discussion with some info about a trailer that has no corrosion.

Oh, we've had our share of issues...Marathons and rims replaced with LTX, battery charger replaced with 3-stage, water pump replaced with variable speed, skylight replaced with Maxim and the leaky rear bumper and discolored floor under the dinette treated with Rot Doctor, etc. We just haven't had any corrosion.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #1224
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Worth a lot SilverCottage, because it suggests a regular treatment with a quality corrosion treatment product has kept your trailer free of corrosion.

I used Boeshield and CorrosionX on my 2007 Safari as well, but it was applied after corrosion had started, too late. It did however stop progression of that corrosion and prevent any new outbreaks. I am using CorrosionX on the new Flying Cloud on all edges, rivets, and metal fittings.

Unfortunately Airstream is giving no direction on this, outside of the subtle hint of having these products in stock in their online store.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1225
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Different formulations of CorrosionX

I am sure this was covered earlier in this thread but I couldn't find it. The company that makes Corrosion X has literally hundreds of products in addition to Corrosion X including ones specially formulated for planes. When everyone refers to using corrosionx is it the spray by that name or is it one of the specialty products that is designed to protect aluminum?
Dillon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #1226
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, Corrosion Technologies Corp. produces a cornucopia of intriguing products, sure to satisy the needs of new Airstream owners everywhere, and may be ordered on line directly from them.

In my case, when it became obvious that enormous amounts would be required from now on, I quickly moved from the aerosol cans (like Airstream sells) to the trigger spray version (simple liquid form), which I've found to be more efficient...(every little bit helps, after all, when you're hemorraging large quantities of such an expensive product).

Speaking of cost, it can be ordered by the gallon for $93.50; a case of 4 gallons is $374.00, and a 5 gallon bucket is $424.00. Too late now, but if only I had bought that Super Duty instead of a lowly 1/2 ton, I could order the 30 gallon vat for only $2,158.00. Now THAT'S what I call a deal!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #1227
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Plus you could apply it with a pressure washer....

Bob
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #1228
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Plus you could apply it with a pressure washer....

Bob
Right...I'm off to look at one-tons!!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1229
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
A report from Airstream on my corrosion problems and what has been done.

Had warranty work done on Monday along with a talk with a customer service rep about the filiform corrosion. So far I've won 2 and another is pending - but I expect to lose the pending.

Wheels will be replaced under mfgr warranty as less than a year old. Waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Marker Lights. Airstream has some new aluminum castings that surround and support the marker lights that are going to be used on the 2013 Classics. These are nice and can be installed without removing the light. My trailer now has them and they more than cover the area that had corrosion - and they look great. The corrosion was treated before installation and they are well sealed - not only between the casting and the trailer but also between the light and the casting. I suppose the filiform at some point in the future might sneak out from under the edge but I doubt it. I'm totally pleased with Airstream's response and when I talked to the service manager and mentioned that I thought the problem was being caused by the light base cutting into the clearcoat due to over tightening he said that Airstream had reached the same conclusion - and they have a fix. A rubber pad about 1/8" thick and slightly larger than the light base is now being used. I saw a 2012 International on which these had been installed and it looks to me like it should solve the problem.

More on the lights. The lens by itself cannot be removed. The lens, LED module etc are all one unit that with snaps on each end which fit into the base. The first version of the LED Marker Lights had plastic snaps which were very easy to break - thus the "you have to break them to remove them" info. The ones now have metal snaps and remove easily. There is also a piece of double sided tape that fits over the hole in the base the wires feed through - I guess to help seal the hole. You have to punch a hole through the tape for the wires during installation.

Hope this helps a bit. Wish I had a camera so I could take pics of the new castings but unfortunately I don't. Will be at a rally in a few weeks and if someone hasn't put up some pics by then I'll ask Steve Mentz to take some of mine for posting then.

Looks like I won't get to find out what the Jackson Center Jail is like after all!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1230
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That sounds pretty positive, Al.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #1231
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, good news...I've been anticipating this update...thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #1232
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
AI,

Thanks for the update. Couldn't have come at a more opportune time for me as Customer Service emailed me today indicating they are reviewing the pictures I sent documenting the corrosion at my marker lights and will respond soon. I am better prepared now thanks to your post.

Don
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1233
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Great report! Looks like the makings of another "Hallmark Moment" in Airstream warranty work.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #1234
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Davie , Florida
Hi all,
I'm a pretty new airstream owner. As a matter of fact I've had my 2012 27fb only since Jan. Last week I was getting the trailer ready for this season and I found, yes, you guessed it, CORROSION! So far I see it around the 4 corner light and the door handle. Im in the process of getting an answer from the warranty department. My plan is to head north from NC towards MI so I wouldn't mind driving by JC to get work done. After reading this thread it blows my mind that airstream is denying claims to fix this. I'll update when I get an answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-976070147.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	157994  
Sal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #1235
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Davie , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU

Had warranty work done on Monday along with a talk with a customer service rep about the filiform corrosion. So far I've won 2 and another is pending - but I expect to lose the pending.

Wheels will be replaced under mfgr warranty as less than a year old. Waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Marker Lights. Airstream has some new aluminum castings that surround and support the marker lights that are going to be used on the 2013 Classics. These are nice and can be installed without removing the light. My trailer now has them and they more than cover the area that had corrosion - and they look great. The corrosion was treated before installation and they are well sealed - not only between the casting and the trailer but also between the light and the casting. I suppose the filiform at some point in the future might sneak out from under the edge but I doubt it. I'm totally pleased with Airstream's response and when I talked to the service manager and mentioned that I thought the problem was being caused by the light base cutting into the clearcoat due to over tightening he said that Airstream had reached the same conclusion - and they have a fix. A rubber pad about 1/8" thick and slightly larger than the light base is now being used. I saw a 2012 International on which these had been installed and it looks to me like it should solve the problem.

More on the lights. The lens by itself cannot be removed. The lens, LED module etc are all one unit that with snaps on each end which fit into the base. The first version of the LED Marker Lights had plastic snaps which were very easy to break - thus the "you have to break them to remove them" info. The ones now have metal snaps and remove easily. There is also a piece of double sided tape that fits over the hole in the base the wires feed through - I guess to help seal the hole. You have to punch a hole through the tape for the wires during installation.

Hope this helps a bit. Wish I had a camera so I could take pics of the new castings but unfortunately I don't. Will be at a rally in a few weeks and if someone hasn't put up some pics by then I'll ask Steve Mentz to take some of mine for posting then.

Looks like I won't get to find out what the Jackson Center Jail is like after all!
Sounds great Al. Thanks for posting. I would be satisfied with that kind of help from JC. Did you treat your corrosion before having JC work on it? Wondering if I should try to slow the corrosion down since it may be a month or so before I can get it worked on.
Sal44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #1236
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sal', you probably shouldn't monkey with that before warranty work, just another reason for them to pass the buck. But I would definitely spray it with some anticorrosion spray, CorrosionX, Boeshield, or even WD-40.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1237
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Sal', you probably shouldn't monkey with that before warranty work, just another reason for them to pass the buck. But I would definitely spray it with some anticorrosion spray, CorrosionX, Boeshield, or even WD-40.

doug k
You can treat it if you want - I used some T9 on mine but it didn't do a lot of good. But it's no use mentioning corrosion and warranty in the same sentence. Airstream does not normally recognize corrosion as being covered by any warranty - unless maybe its a part with a warranty from the distributor or mfg such as my wheels. I think the reason they are doing something about the marker light problem is because they recognize that they screwed up. But even that may not last forever.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #1238
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post

For our future reference, and since your still at JC, can you find out what the new part numbers are for the new marker lights that they used on your trailer and let us know?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
For our future reference, and since your still at JC, can you find out what the new part numbers are for the new marker lights that they used on your trailer and let us know?

They didn't change the marker lights - did you by chance mean the new aluminum castings that they installed that the lights fit on? The marker lights themselves are available from the Airstream Store - and the price is under 18 bucks - noticed them earlier today when I was killing time.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1240
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I misunderstood. I do that often!
So to get this straight in my mind, they use the same marker lights and just add a casting to the base of it, right?
If that is correct, that is the part number I'd like to know, if you would be so kind to find out for me the next time you are in the shop.
Thanks.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote