Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #757
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Interesting! Mine shows no corrosion whatsoever. It gets washed a few times a year using a cheap carwash which includes wax. That's it! 15,000 miles in two years!
Some of us monitoring this thread are looking for clues as to why some airstreams have it and why others don't. One because it could help understand what could be contributing, and two because with that knowledge we might be able to slow the progress or prevent it from happening. Do mind sharing where you've been over the two years/15K milles?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #758
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Update on my '05-

It is parked about 15 miles from coast at 1000 ft. elevation. It is out of range of sea air.

It developed two 1/4 inch filiform lines from rivets on the front cap two years ago. With occasional applications of ACF 50 the corrosion has remained unchanged. Otherwise the trailer receives a monthly wash job with clear water and occasional coating of McGuiars' quick detailer. The most corrosion prone part has been the Signal Stat license plate holder. I spray a coat of ACF 50 on it every couple months whichs has kept it in good shape.

Generally I'm very happy with the finish and pleasantly surprised how easy it has been to maintain. Dirt and streaks wash off easily,compared to a fiberglass trailer I also maintain. The finish has shown no UV or solar damage with frequent hot days and bright sun exposure. I have never had to polish any oxidation or dullness out of the finish.

The unit has not been exposed to road salt, and has spent only 3 nights on the immediate coast. It has not been pulled on highways bordering the ocean more than 50 miles.

My storage lot has two other Airstream trailers of similar vintage and they show little or no filiform corrosion.

From my observation, I strongly suspect excessive corrosion issues are directly related to environmental conditions-road salt, sea air, high humidity. I think the nature of the construction of the trailer with numerous rivet holes leads to paths for the corrosion to start. Expansion/contraction and road forces will cause these parts to flex and move, opening gaps for water and corrosive elements to enter. I think any significant solution to this problem would involve a total re-design of the trailer-involving either welded construction or a dipped/painted shell prior to assembly.

Bottom line I think there are better trailer choices if you drive or park in corrosive environments and care about cosmetic appearance. It is just the nature of the beast (aluminum shell punched full of hundreds of holes will corrode in certain environments). It is what it is.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #759
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Three things: just because Airstream alleges the warranty doesn't cover corrosion, doesn't mean it shouldn't. They interpret it their way.

Second—We've been through Colorado, Utah, NM, Idaho, Mojave Desert, Arizona, Cal. coast from just north of San Francisco to Cannon Beach, Oregon. Salts on the roads dry and crystalize, get ground up, it rains, liquifies the salt, splashes on the trailer. Tap water has salts in it (the chlorine combines with sodium to make table salt). Still no corrosion. Salt is an obvious suspect, but it could be something else, or a combination.

Third—I'm not saying the company should be off the hook, but trying to drive them out of business isn't a good solution.

Gene
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #760
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
First, I must completely disagree with the fact that there are or should be better trailers to tow in certain conditions. I feel if you sell the product, you must engineer it to last more than 6 months in most of the environments the product might see. I believe that the company should be held to task on this issue.

I mean really, look at post 685 and 686:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-31743-49.html

The unit in posts 685 and 686 is a 2007 and it is unacceptable, period. I am not calling for the downfall of Airstream, I, since early 2005 had worked with the company. DMAC had worked with the company early on when the issue came up with his 2003.

Yesterday I saw at least one known Airstream employee here on this thread and have seen at least two known Airstream employees on this corrosion thread throughout the life of this thread. The folks at the factory do know about this problem, this I know of first hand. I am also aware that we have at least one confirmed 2009 that has this issue.

So you tell me. From 2003 through 2009, is that enough time for Airstream, Alcoa or whomever to come up with a solution and I mean a real solution, other than clear nail polish? In my mind, since you are reading this and it is the thread I started, it is far too long if you ask me. The link above of that person's 2007 is a travesty plain and simple. You are telling me that in this day and age, there cannot be something done to help slow or outright halt this from happening? I mean seriously, we're talking about at the very least $35k for a trailer where the profit margin must be similar to Apple Inc's 10% and no real good solution has been found yet? I cannot accept that answer, I'm sorry.

Bottom line is that times are tough, but even when they weren't there were no real fixes to be had, and frankly for most of us with this, I doubt there ever really will be. Again, I am not asking for my exterior to have lasted 20 years, but I sure as hell expected this not to happen in about a 12 months from it being rolled off the assembly line, and there are some far younger that show these things.

Until the time that this is not as big of an issue, I intend to tell anyone about this problem and let them make their own choices. If Airstream were to go out of business in the process, yea, it would suck, a lot, but what is worse, the trash they are putting out tarnishing an American Icon by riding the retro wave or being honest and pointing out what I consider a serious issue and let the reader or visitor to my trailer decide before plunkin' down a whole lot of money?

As you can tell, I've chosen the second part and again, you are welcome to draw your own conclusions and make a choice that is best for you as the info is offered as is, with no warranties expressed on implied. If you do decide to plunk down tens of thousands of $$$ and it happens to you, can cannot say that you weren't warned.

Folks, this is real, about as real as it gets. I am living it and some living it far worse than I (as linked above), while some little to not at all. If you don't have it, you are one of the lucky ones. If you do, well, I know how you feel and what you've been going through as many of us do. If you are a gambler, feel free. I am in no way trying to stop you, but I am happy to give you that moment of pause.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #761
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
My 2007 27 foot Safari was made in September of 2006. I saw it at a Southern California dealership in January or February of 2007 and took delivery in April of 2007 (Just when this message thread was started). There was 12 inches or so of filaform on the bottom trim next to the wheels (see picture) at that time, but I took it for minor scratches. Currently it has expanded on the bottom trim and is on both sides of the trailer. I see small areas of filaform on what I guess is the waistline. It is at most 1/4 inch wide in places. There is also filaform on the tires and very small amounts on the door handle.

Now I need to reread this thread to see how best to deal with it. How hard is it to replace the bottom trim? If I can treat the small amount along the waistline, that would be great. Clear nail polish would not be that noticeable at this point. Not sure how to sand such a small area though.

Thank you for keeping this thread going for two years. Know it has helped a lot of Airstreamers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filaform.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	77280  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #762
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Forgot to add that I have been full-timing in my Airstream in the Western United States ever since I took delivery. Even have a blog that shows everywhere I've been! Just passed 50,000 miles.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #763
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews View Post

How hard is it to replace the bottom trim?
Western', I believe the bottom trim where you have the filiform is an "insert". The part it is inserted into is called an "extrusion". The insert is not very expensive—perhaps $11 for a 50' roll. It comes in silver or chrome (both names seem to be used for the same thing) and some other colors. I think it has a sticky backing strip.

I think that several years ago the company used these extrusions and inserts along the belt line to hide filiform corrosion at beltline. I plan on having that done on our Safari soon as a preventative measure.

When I have posted that we have had no corrosion, I should say on the body, taillights, and such. We did have a little on the insert; it was replaced under warranty last year. Didn't seem very important me and very difficult to see, though I should look again to see if it has returned.

Gene
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #764
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
I feel for you folks.

Our Airstream has endured a salt environment from the date it was manufactured. She sailed across the Atlantic ocean, sat on the docks for 5 days and has been used for over two years full timing in the crummy UK climate. We move every 2-3 weeks (local campground laws forbid extended stays) even when roads are salted. Always wash trailer after journey.

Up to now, no body corrosion but plenty on battery door surrounds, entrance door handle, one door hinge and some on wheels (amazing none on same year F350 18" alloys).

John & Carole
Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #765
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews View Post
My 2007 27 foot Safari was made in September of 2006. I saw it at a Southern California dealership in January or February of 2007 and took delivery in April of 2007 (Just when this message thread was started). There was 12 inches or so of filaform on the bottom trim next to the wheels (see picture)
Mine had this too. This is delamination (sp?) of the insert. It pops out and new is installed fairly painlessly. I would still hope that this would be covered under warranty if your warranty is still active. The picture shared is not actually the fillform corrosion.

The other areas you speak of sound like the issue, and let me remind folks that words are great, but each picture you post speaks volumes per picture. I would very much suggest that pictures be worth a thousand words here and post them.

At some point, I don't know when, we will be collecting them and maybe posting them to an alternate site where they won't have to be dug for in a 50+ page thread. I can assure you that all the info on this thread is going to be compiled, added to and put up for display in a clear at a glance type view. I can also assure you it will be just as big of a poster child to document and share the info as thread has been.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #766

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
I mean hi Jack!
Do you know if the tri-axle was polished? I couldn't really tell from the picture I saw. I'm still looking for pics of Airstreams with the newest aluminum and a polish job. So far I haven't seen a single one. I would expect that someone out there has done it by now, considering all of the issues with corrosion.

Have a great day, Rich
Yes it was polished. I have some closer pictures that I think I posted on a different thread. I'll look for it and send you a PM if you wish. It had a bad case of clear coat peel so the polishing was the only way to get it back to a uniform look.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #767
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I would like to see those pics if you can find them. Am I right in thinking that they used a different aluminum at the time that trailer was built. I think you said it was a '90s model?
Thanks, Rich
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #768
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I guess that im one of the lucky ones. When i bought this airstream I was thinking about this corrosion problem. The one i found is a 2001 with the new clearcoat. This trailer has been inside a building since 2002 here in California. It was used as a staging area for catering and parties etc... I bought it in august of 2008 and now have a shelter for it but even with all this I have corrosion too. It will be interesting to see as I plan to use it alot how the corrosion develops if at all. Mine has spots around the airstream logo on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion airstream 001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	77292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrosion airstream 002.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	77293  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #769
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Where to put reference material on aluminum filiform corrosion

Is there a place on the Airforums to provide reference citations for those who are interested, other than simply posting them in a thread? There have been several postings on this long thread with links to research publications and industrial information that may be of interest to users but they are obscured by the hundreds of postings.

I'd be glad to provide updated links to the citations I've provided in the past as well as some new references I've found, if anyone is interested.

I'm still treating my 2001 Bambi with ACF-50 to prevent further growth of the filiform corrosion already on my trailer.

In my research into industrial and aircraft references and sites, I have not yet located information that claims any aluminum product producer has found an effective means to reliably protect clearcoated but un-painted aluminum from filiform corrosion development.

There are primary coatings used in the aircraft industry on selected aluminum alloys prior to assembly, when accompanied by treatment after cutting, forming and securing (riveting, welding or screws), but as far as I can determine, all of them require significant post-assembly processes and result in a painted finish.

Does anyone have any other references? I'd like to add to my library...
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #770
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
1959 24' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Marshall,

Im using this product http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...wax-48876.html but cant tell you anything more about it than it says in the website.

I have been hoping to update you guys with some promising information about this product. I called a phone number that I researched and the person that answered was an attorney working on freeing up the trademark and marketing for this product. He did not share much with me and was a bit surprised on how i actually got his home phone number (i am a bit surprised too!) I asked him how it would be possible to get the MSDS and to date i havent recieved anything. He just kept reassuring me that this product works to protect very expensive aircraft with clearcoat protection from corrosion. Sorry i dont have any other info. I wish someone from Airstream could look into this stuff and see if it could be an inexpensive solution for coaches either have not started to corrode or unit with light corrosion. Wish i had more info.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote