Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #1061
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Vinnie,

WD-Forty helps soften the corrosion for the removal, after cleaning well and coating with clear, an occasional wipe off with WD seems slo things down.

It's also great for cleaning the front stone guards and tank cover.

Thanks Robert!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #1062
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I haven't read through this thread in its entirety, yet, but say it ain't so.... 9 months old...

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filiform.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	147914  
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #1063
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Re-call

This site has some indication of the number of recalls on Airstream products.
Sorry, nothing seems to address the "Aluminium to Dust" syndrome that I can see.
Airstream - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #1064
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
This site has some indication of the number of recalls on Airstream products.
Sorry, nothing seems to address the "Aluminium to Dust" syndrome that I can see.
Airstream - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints
Dave
I don't think your chances of seeing it are good.

AS doesn't warrant the aluminum filiform.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #1065
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
I haven't read through this thread in its entirety, yet, but say it ain't so.... 9 months old...

-Chris
Sorry Chris, it's true.

I've got the same stuff.

But we're on to it early, and we can arrest the progress sooner rather than later.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #1066
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:

-Chris
Sorry... looks like you captured a "fine" specimen of filiform corrosion.

For corrective and preventive action see the AirForums thread:

Skin & Corrosion Updates
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #1067
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Quote:

-Chris
It ain't so...now start reading.

Address the problem ASAP.

Bob
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #1068
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
It ain't so...now start reading.

Address the problem ASAP.

Bob
I just noticed that it is around several of the marker lights. However, that spot in the pic is the worst. I plan on doing a lot of reading.

-Chris
Old 12-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #1069
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I just noticed that it is around several of the marker lights. However, that spot in the pic is the worst. I plan on doing a lot of reading.

-Chris
Chris,

Some more good tips here.

It's very important to get the area cleaned out and sealed ASAP. Even if you have to go back later and complete the job.

I do have a new clear that I plan to try this spring.
I'll up-date the results.

Good luck.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07933.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	147942  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #1070
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:

It's very important to get the area cleaned out and sealed ASAP.
Bob,
Thanks for the additional information. I am going to ring the new year in by beginning to read through this thread. I am curious to see if there are examples of this with trailers under warranty, and what JC's response was/has been.

-Chris
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #1071
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question Town Hall Meeting

Chris,

You can judge JC's responses for a variety of concerns on this thread.

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #1072
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
Thanks for having this forum. I have previously owned a Winnebago travel trailer, and WAS considering a new Airstream. Ha-ha, Airstream/Thor!!! Seeing that the manufacturer does not properly address these problems of defects and damage, (Chinese aluminum sheets of unknown quality, dragging sheets of aluminum across the floor in the building process at their own facility, little or no apparent quality control, lack of customer response or remedying corrosion problems) puts me right back out there on the market for a different brand -- NO AIRSTREAM! I had never even heard of filiform before. I don't need, or want, a product that requires so much upkeep and repair when virtually brand new. Who is Dave Schumann? Has the company no shame? What is "Jackson Center"? Is there no remedy after one spends good money in these tight times? These are not new problems, and as yet seem to be not remedied. Am I being over-reactive?
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #1073
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEEER View Post
Thanks for having this forum. I have previously owned a Winnebago travel trailer, and WAS considering a new Airstream. Ha-ha, Airstream/Thor!!! Seeing that the manufacturer does not properly address these problems of defects and damage, (Chinese aluminum sheets of unknown quality, dragging sheets of aluminum across the floor in the building process at their own facility, little or no apparent quality control, lack of customer response or remedying corrosion problems) puts me right back out there on the market for a different brand -- NO AIRSTREAM! I had never even heard of filiform before. I don't need, or want, a product that requires so much upkeep and repair when virtually brand new. Who is Dave Schumann? Has the company no shame? What is "Jackson Center"? Is there no remedy after one spends good money in these tight times? These are not new problems, and as yet seem to be not remedied. Am I being over-reactive?
POI.....Alcoa is still a US company.....the filiform problem mentioned is strictly a cosmetic concern, and although a PITA to deal with is not a structional/safety concern.
My experience being that after the initial outbreak any further progress has been minor. As long as due diligence applied it can be managed.
QC has been a problem but some progress has been made in recent years.

These are not excuses...but justifiable rationalizations.
I would NOT own anything BUT..

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #1074
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
GEEEER, we have bought new 2007 and new 2012 Airstreams. The 2012 is clearly an improved trailer, better quality control, better detailing and some upgrades in materials.

The main areas of concern for Airstream owners have been corrosion on external panels and water leaks resulting in rotted floor sections. Although Airstream is aware of these problems, their response has been slow. That is staying with their original creed of "no changes, only improvements", and may not be a bad thing.

It is good that you have researched these Airstream problem areas before you buy. With Airstream you will know that they require regular inspections and maintenance. The recent post of Robert Cross is from an owner who has found ways to keep his Airstream Classic in new condition, and has made frequent posts describing his methods. His posts are among the most worthwhile reading on this forum.

Bob has shown that the Airstream is the most satisfying RV you may own, if you catch problems before they cause major damage. I believe his frequent inspection and regular maintenance routine is a necessary part of being an Airstream owner. If you can't do it, budget enough to have someone knowledgable with the product do it for you.

Don't give up on Airstream. All RV's have their own set of troubles.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #1075
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Don't give up on Airstream. All RV's have their own set of troubles."

Indeed, my old SOB had floor rot, cracked skin, weak axles (too small for unit), roof replacement (leaked over the winter which resulted in WOOD wall framing dry rot).

And I'm really anal about maintenance! Of course it cost $14K (about $23K today for comparable unit) and all those items covered a 17 year ownership span.

RVs and boats, no matter the cost....ya better like to tinker.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #1076
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Gee…, Jackson Center is a small town in Ohio where Airstreams are made.

Dave Schumann is the head of customer relations and I have found him to be helpful. He seems to me a bright spot amongst other Airstreams execs.

Filiform strikes some people more than others. It seems to be worse for people near salt water or in states with a lot of road salt. Salt is corrosive to all metals and all RV's have metal parts. Many owners have no filiform and complaints have dropped a lot in the past few years. When trailers were selling a lot, before the Great Recession, standards at Airstream (and elsewhere) seem to have dropped as inexperienced workers were brought in. When sales crashed, the best workers seem to have stayed. The company does respond in varying ways depending how you approach them and seem to have gotten better at it.

I have only experienced slight corrosion—on the door hinges and taillights, common places for it. I have sanded lightly and applied new clear coat and it seems to have stopped. I am not as good as this as Bob Cross, but it works for me. Few people other than people who read this thread would ever notice the corrosion. RV's with fiberglass get streaks. The exterior aluminum on many is easy to damage. The frames are often 2 x 2's that damage very easily and then burn to the frame in minutes. Designs are often ugly and have lots of wind resistance. They have a reputation of a short life span.

Airstreamers complain a lot and want premium performance because that's who we are. They aren't perfect, but they fit for us. Go to RV shows and dealers and look over all brands you can. Then see what you like and how they compare. Identify your needs as to reliability, cost, style and what you want to do with an RV. Some brands, not many, have better workmanship but are ugly and some of those are very, very expensive. The standards of the RV industry are not as high as those for autos and trucks—maybe we need a Japanese RV company to cause an upgrade in standards, but we don't have that.

All RV's have problems. Sometimes they get to me, but I fix them and make it a better trailer. I don't like problems and wish Airstream did a better job, but we like the trailer, keep upgrading it and anticipate we will keep it until we go to hospice.

Are you being over reactive? Yes. After reading this thread that is understandable; it would freak me out too. When it appeared around the time we bought new I was very unhappy, but after 4 years, things are pretty good. Take a deep breath, take your meds and call your therapist. And you don't have to buy a new one. You can look for a well kept older one that has little or no filiform and save some money.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #1077
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up It's good...

I think it's good that this thread has taken on a new life.

We need to keep the new owners aware and posting. As Gene mentioned, the filiform corrosion problem seems to have slowed down some on the newer units.

Keep threading people.

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1078
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Hi Gene et al,. Happy New Year!

Well said Gene.

When this issue first 'surfaced' I had paid for my unit but hadn't seen it yet. When I found a spots of it before taking it home I was quite choked. Some of it has grown, the wheels & rear light housings have lots of it, but you know, it isn't keeping me awake at night. I try & give it the odd splash of Corrosion-X or Boeshield etc.

What really bugs me more is thinking that I should be out there using it more...

Happy trails.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1079
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Like Gene said, after four years.....
It's kinda like getting that first door ding in you new car. I'm a lot more relaxed with my "dents" than last year...and I bought near new, not brand new.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #1080
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Unless we shrink wrap it, something will happen. I want to know who put those dings in my truck passenger door and tailgate (how does anyone ding a tailgate?) and both happened when the truck was several years old, but it is the way of life when you use things. I do know who put the crease in the side of the trailer—the dealer—and they paid for it.

The corrosion is, so far, minor, and I can ignore it most of the time. But it should have been preventable and that sloppiness is what gets to me.

Evan, a belated happy solstice. I hope you'll be down in the southwest this year and we could meet somewhere.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote