Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #743
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I left mine in Ft collins colorado last month in a covered storage lot. I will be back to get her in June. Maybe leaving it in the dry western states will slow things down. From the past 2 years she was pulled through every kind of snow storm and salted road from michigan to the west coast and exposed to ocean air for months when out west. I stay mostly in rv parks on the ocean. You should see the damn thing, its horrible. I wash once /week and 3 coatings of waubernize every year and it looks like crap.

I hope all who read this will buy used. It will 2 things. I believe in supply and demand, so a tighter used market will prop up our sagging values, and keeping pressure on new units will make the mother-ship wake up and smell the roses.

I have posted on other rv forums to be careful of buying a new airstream. It is our responsibility to protect fellow rv enthusiasts to not invest in a defective-product. Many have come back and said thank you, the dream of an airstream could have been nightmare. I have written every bank and financial institution that advertises lending to the rv industry to go to this forum and thread and not lend on new air stream trailers. I hope to get the story out on every craigs list possible as well. I encourage all of us to the same and bring the idiots to their knees. Get them where it hurts, they F us big time, so I am doing all I can to make them realize 2 can play the game. Its good to see we as americans can get mad, AIG is sparking a flame that needs to fanned, and for Airstream to think they can push this under the rug is just incredible. We have the power, the internet, and this can and should make them reorganize and produce products that reflect the reputation of the brand. Tough love folks.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #744
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Through your efforts those who may wish to buy an AS might not be able to get credit. Thanks again busybody. jim

Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #745
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Give out all the info you want but don't decide for us if we wish to buy. jim
Old 03-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #746
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
safari 28

Your posts are full of anger and bitterness - perhaps justified - perhaps not - but in all honesty - they are short on real information that will help any reader to understand the depth of that bitterness. Until that detail is provided - and people have enough information to make their own judgments - you have taken some strong solo actions and are now appearing to look for a measure of support that is tough to give.

None of your earlier posts actually references filiform corrosion (or corrosion in any form) - your original post does talk about some peeling, the harsh conditions in which your trailer is used and a resulting opinion that the trailer, despite regular washing, is “very unique looking” and “seasoned” - but that is the extent of the information we have on your trailer. The thread you initiated over on RV.net is also long on accusations but short on specifics regarding your own trailer.

Some clarification on the facts - with pictures - would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #747
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I just finished cleaning my Airstream for the 4th time since I bought it 9 months ago. I spray it with a hose nozzle, the jet setting, use a big sponge on all the corners, and then wipe the whole thing down with a single towel, windows first. I worry each time that I'll see signs of filliform, but alas, it has escaped so far.

I'm absolutely shocked by how simple it is to clean it and how perfect the finish looks with no soap or chemicals whatsoever. It sits outside in the bright colorado sun in my driveway. One side gets sun all day, the other sits in the shade all day. I finally bought tire covers for the sunny side wheels. I'm temped to delay waxing it for as long as I can. Since I'm new to Colorado, I can probably keep myself occupied with CO, WY, UT, AZ, ID, and MO for a couple of years away from the coasts. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my good luck continues.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #748
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
Since I'm new to Colorado, I can probably keep myself occupied with CO, WY, UT, AZ, ID, and MO for a couple of years away from the coasts. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my good luck continues.
That stuff they spray on the roads all winter is magnesium chloride. It's killed vegetation alongside the roads, and like it's solid brother, rock salt, is nasty stuff.

There is no escape from one salt or another.

But maybe, like me you'll escape the corrosion monster. I'm at 19 months since it was built and still ok.

Gene
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #749
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Now as far as bringing the company down, how will that help anyone?

Parts will be unavailable.

Workers will be without jobs and the entire Jackson Center area will be hurting.

Warranties (they're not just for corrosion) will be worthless.

I think there are better ways to solve the problem regardless of the behavior of the company.

Gene
Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #750
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Now as far as bringing the company down, how will that help anyone?

Parts will be unavailable.

Workers will be without jobs and the entire Jackson Center area will be hurting.

Warranties (they're not just for corrosion) will be worthless.

I think there are better ways to solve the problem regardless of the behavior of the company.

Gene
Amen Brother!
We still seriously have the dream of buying an Airstream. This corrosion issue is just a delay. Pressure for quality control is one thing, but gee, the entire industry is on the verge of collapse right now. I just watched the Huckabee show on Fox last night where he was sitting down with the good people of Elkhardt, Indiana. Saw many courageous, hard working and amazingly still optimistic people trying to deal with a 20% unemployment rate -heartbreaking. The biggest problem, cited over and over, is the unwillingness of banks to extend credit to the dealers for their stock - their "floor plan" - understandable when people aren't buying, but just part of the overall economic lockdown. This needs to get better; not worse. I truly hope those left standing (especially Airstream! ) after the recession/depression will appreciate their good fortune and the customers that kept them afloat during the hard times. Long live Airstream!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #751
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Bad press for Airstream will harm all Airstream owners

It only will harm all Airstream owners if Airstream goes out of business. Where will we get parts and warranty service if they are no longer around. It will be like Avion, which made a great trailer, but now their owners must scrounge for parts to keep their trailers in good condition.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #752
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I'm absolutely amazed at these comments. Are you people saying that Airstream has to be supported no matter how bad they are?

Nuts!

If you have a filiform corrosion problem and someone comes up to you in a campground and says they were thinking about getting a AS and wants your opinion what do you tell them - that AS is a fine product and they should not hesitate to go out and plunk their money down for one or do you do what I do which is take them over, show them the filiform, tell them that AS refuses to take any responsibility and advise them not to touch a AS with a 10 foot pole.

Parts not available? People losing jobs? Tough. No company should be allowed to ignore a problem completely like AS appears to be doing here and get away with it - no matter what the results are. Airstream needs a major smack in the teeth and anyone who takes steps to give it to them instead of just sitting around complaining has my full support.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #753

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
All About P&S Travel Trailer Service

Take a peek at the tri-axle in the picture. Not sure, but it very well could be a unit with the pre-treated Aloca finish and for sure the different alum than the vintage.
The tri-axle was owned by a guy in SE Missouri. It's a 90's unit that had a bad case of clear coat peel. It came out of Florida where it sat for years at a campground. It does have the newer aluminum but was built before A/S used the Alcoa coated aluminum.

I had recommended P&S to the new owner who was looking for someone to deal with the clear coat. The old graphics on the trailer were expensive so I suggested that they band the trailer with what was the current graphics on the new trailers. It ended up one sweet job and one of the only give aways that it wasn't a new trailer was the wheels.

The fellow stopped by JC on the way home to show the folks up at the service center. They were all pretty awestruck and initially fooled a lot of the guys there who thought initially it was a new trailer. As noted earlier the wheels were the clue that it wasn't new.

I haven't been in contact with the guy for a few years now. He had called me about a year after he had the work done to tell me that he had been through a hail storm and had picked up some nasty dents.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #754
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hijack!

I mean hi Jack!
Do you know if the tri-axle was polished? I couldn't really tell from the picture I saw. I'm still looking for pics of Airstreams with the newest aluminum and a polish job. So far I haven't seen a single one. I would expect that someone out there has done it by now, considering all of the issues with corrosion.

I am not for putting Airstream out of business. As stated before, there are already a lot of folks out there with new trailers that will need factory service and warrantee work of some kind. Without the support of the factory we will all be at a disadvantage when looking for replacement parts.

It's glaringly obvious to AS what is going on with their product, and I do believe that they will be making changes to correct it. That could involve AS and Thor taking Alcoa to task for the problems it has had for the last few years. If that was to happen, there could be some relief for the people who have been affected by the corrosion issue.

I work for a company that manufactures a product here in California. We use suppliers for all of our hardware needs, and when a product is sold to us for use in our product we know we will have to stand behind it 100% so we check it very carefully before making it a part of our finished product. I expect that AS did the best it could at trying to improve the product while keeping their bottom line down. The good people at Alcoa probably sold this to AS as an improved product at a lower cost, which we are finding out is not the case. Alcoa will also suffer if they no longer have AS to sell to, so there is an incentive to solve the problem on all sides. It's just a matter of time, and how much of that they have left.

The fact is that they have acknowledged the problem already by replacing parts and panels for some of the earlier cases that showed up. They wouldn't have done that if it had been an expected issue. They would have started out by denying all of the claims of premature corrosion. If they had continued to fix the problems with existing trailers while addressing the core issues in production at the same time, I bet there would be a lot of happy customers here. They dropped the ball, BIG TIME. Now we're several years down the road with the same problem, and no support to speak of. I sincerely hope that they can pull their heads out of their AS's long enough to smell the stink they have made, and get back on track making more people PROUD OWNERS.

It does not make sense to me, to wish Airstream out of existence or to buy from them, considering the current problems. But there is a place in between those extremes, where we can let them try to correct the problem while continuing to let them know where we all stand on the issues of PREMATURE CORROSION, and WARRANTEE DENIALS.

Does Airstream address the issue of the finish in their warrantee at all? Have they altered their warrantee recently with regard to this issue? (are they running for the hills?) The answers to these questions will inform us further, weather they are even trying to stand behind their product anymore, or leaving their customers out in the cold.

I would appreciate it if those who are trying to do general harm to AS as a company would address the issue of their own trailer and their relationship with AS directly, and leave the option of weather or not to purchase up to those who would like to have that decision to make for themselves. If you are dissatisfied with the company, take them to task in small claims court or otherwise, based on your issue alone. If you take a little money out of their pocket they will be quicker to react to the problem, and you will have some of your money back to help combat the problem. If they were to lose a few times in small claims they would become aware that everybody they sold to in the last few years has a legitimate claim of damages hanging over their heads. There is nothing like the possibility of huge losses that will get a corporation moving in the right direction again. After all, money is the only motivation for a corporation.
Have a great day, Rich
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #755
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
FROM VIKING: It's glaringly obvious to AS what is going on with their product, and I do believe that they will be making changes to correct it. That could involve AS and Thor taking Alcoa to task for the problems it has had for the last few years. If that was to happen, there could be some relief for the people who have been affected by the corrosion issue.

Make changes to correct it? This has apparently been going on since they first started with the precoated Alcoa stuff around 2000 and they do not appear to have taken a single step to get the problem corrected. How long should we give them? And regarding your question about corrosion the warranty does not cover any corrosion - period.

Once again - NUTS!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #756
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
[QUOTE=safari 28;678885] From the past 2 years she was pulled through every kind of snow storm and salted road from michigan to the west coast and exposed to ocean air for months when out west. I stay mostly in rv parks on the ocean. You should see the damn thing, its horrible. I wash once /week and 3 coatings of waubernize every year and it looks like crap.

Interesting! Mine shows no corrosion whatsoever. It gets washed a few times a year using a cheap carwash which includes wax. That's it! 15,000 miles in two years!

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote