Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #1021
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Have applied Boeshield, Corrosion X, and wax but I don't think they are stopping the filiform corrosion. I think the tiny seam between metal and coating needs a better seal. Ordered a lacquer pen from Airstream but am hesitating to apply it for fear of another ineffective product, that lukz like hades.
DK,

It's just a FOMOCO clear-coat touch-up paint. Used basically the same product above, GM.
It has stopped the progression..... but looks like hell.
Knock on wood...my last episode has been on the rear end caps, out'a sight,
out'a-my-mind.

ps IMHO...wd40 works as well as that biocr@p the factory sells, plus it cleans the front stainless segment protectors real gud.
Griot's Paint sealer has worked as well as anything else I've tried for shine & seal.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #1022
2 Rivet Member

Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Paint

I found that the Hammered Finish #7215 Black paint from Rust-Oleum works very well. It matches the bottom paint. I used this to paint my (A) frame. Spray cans work best.
Louis
bizetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #1023
1 Rivet Member

Chesapeake , Virginia
Lurker observation

I keep coming back to this thread to see if anything promising has occured because I have been a possible new purchaser. If nothing else, the total lack of response from Airstream and its customer service approach reflected in these threads, has convinced me to stutter for more time before considering ANY of their products. In fact, they seem to me that they are a company that should fail.
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #1024
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Funpilot, in spite of the bitching, most of us truly love our Airstreams. They provide a functional beauty, pride of ownership, and an emotional attachment to the great road trip days of America's past. Others say they they like five slideouts, but they stretch their necks to admire the Airstreams.

The corrosion is a headache, but we will deal with it because we know that the other guy's trailer has its problems too.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #1025
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
...... In fact, they seem to me that they are a company that should fail.
Should fail.....no.

Could...yes

Lot's of folks here hope'n their ears are open.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #1026
Rivet Master

Also, don't forget about the vintage beauties out there. You could probably have one professionally restored for the price of a new one, or less, and have exactly what YOU want.
The history of Airstream is much more illustrious than it's current status as a company and the historical trailers are also more illustrious than new, IMHO.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #1027
1 Rivet Member

Chesapeake , Virginia
Great feedback

I did not think of those alternatives. Where in these forums would be the best place to research that option? Who is good at restoring? I agree that there is nothing more attractive than these airstreams IMHO. That is why I keep lurking here.
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #1028
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Fun....

Start here.... http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/

Enjoy!!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #1029
Rivet Master

Get in touch with Frank Yensan at Franks Trailer Works (62overlander), or one of the other restorers out there. I think Franks has a deal where you can get a trailer from him and have him restore it for you at a discount of some kind. I don't recall the details.
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #1030
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
One of a kind

We had a 1968 Ambassador rebuilt......and now we have a one of a kind very well built Airstream.....and yes, the skin is not perfect....it has a few beauty marks but it adds to the character. She is polished so shiny that she continues to burn our outdoor rug in the sunshine.....this is definitely an alternative to a new Airstream.....just depends upon what floats your boat. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #1031
3 Rivet Member

buy a bus

you can buy a fantastic bus for 55k, i bought a very nice unit for 14k that will last another million mile and is much stronger and safer than any airstream
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #1032
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I bought my first Airstream on April 1, 2010. I wonder what I would have done 13 days ago, if I had known about this apparent plague.

I sure hope there is a happy ending to all of this. Concerned.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #1033
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This plague, like the European ones in the Middle Ages, does not strike everyone. We've had our Safari 2 1/2 years ago and have none. Good luck.

Of course, lots of us have many problems with QC, but some don't. Good luck again.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #1034
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I was looking at ads for the 2011 Airstreams to see what changes have been made when I came across the ad from Sutton and they offer, "Xzilon Molecular Exterior Aluminum Protection, as perfected by Boeing." Has anyone heard of this or had it done by a dealer? Is this a new option for Airstreams?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #1035
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Oregon City , Oregon
Portland AS Dealer

Speaking of Sutton, there is a new AS dealer on McGloughlin Ave at Jennings, Milwaukie, Or. Yea!

Stopped in to chat. Have an 05, 25ft Safari. They said they could sell it in a day for more then I paid. Great. Only problem, a new one costs twice what I paid. Hmm.

We talked a bit about corrosion too. One of the factory reps was there. Interesting conversation. No admissions, but they were all genuinely concerned and would do their best to assist to deal with spot corrosion. From what I could gather the best way to cope is to polish it out and then refinish with clear coat. I also think a good coat of wax will go a long way in some but not all prevention. I applied the wax last fall, last inspection, no new corrosion as of May.
Frody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #1036
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I agree about the wax; but despite my valiant effort, mine is beginning to show small signs of corrosion in a couple of spots (where water droplets tend to hang around too long after a rainy period).
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #1037
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
5.5 year report on my Safari:

I live in non corrosive environment 15 miles from ocean. The trailer is parked outdoors on asphalt.

I've been very happy with the coated aluminum panels. They simply look great. There are two small filiform spots which showed up at a year but have not grown, and no new ones have formed. So far the aluminum panels have displayed no UV damage or deterioration at all. They are very easy to wash and maintain. They have exceeded my expectations, and I hope I can say the same in another few years.

The wheels look great. The rear bumper is deteriorating and at some point I'll probably need to have it plated. The license plate bracket needs frequent waxing to avoid corrosion. I just painted the Ventline stove vent (paint flaking). The Dometic AC shroud shows minor cracking and will be replacing it. I replaced the cracking skylight last summer, and the roof vents once. The water heater and furnace sheet metal cover paint is fading and will need attention in the next year or two. "Thor America's Greatest RV Value" decal has failed, and ruined the clearcoat under it. Factory sent me more decals, which covers up some of it.

Generally it has exceeded my expectations, and looks better than many 5 year old trailers of conventional design. It has been a good choice for a non corrosive environment.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #1038
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Has anyone tried covering the trailer with a clear bra type automotive film? Some exotic car owners cover their entire cars with the invisible film to protect the paint from rock chips, bugs, corrosion, etc. There are professionals out there who do the installation and it's 99% invisible.
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #1039
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
After three years with nothing my battery door frames started sprouting corrosion like a bad fungus. So bad that it affected the lower rub trim and disclored the Chrome insert. Also I was just at a dealer with new units that had extensive corrosion on the main door hinges and grab handles, and battery doors. I was a bit taken back. I don't think the problem is solved and because you don't have it now one of the techs told me just wait it'll show up. All models now have the belt line trim to cover up the rivet line. Discouraging to say the least.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #1040
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Oregon City , Oregon
Belt line trim

I had the option to put the belt lint trim on my 05 Safari and chose not to. It would not seal the belt rivet seam so the elements would still affect the area being covered. Felt it was a band aid approach and thought it would cover the corrosion and but not stop it. Plus as the corrosion continued to affect the the metal it could not be tended to.

Now, if the trim is applied in the factory, it may give the seam a better chance to ward off the elements and prevent the corrosion. Hope this works.

I am of the opinion one of the causes is whatever sealer is put on the aluminum, it is breached by the metal being drilled in to or bent. All of my spots of corrosion exist in the belt line seam around rivets or the four corners. I have yet to see any corrosion in the flat fields of metal. Since polishing the spots, applying new sealer, the spots have not returned. New ones have flared up, but the old ones are stable. I did have corrosion on my door hinges and tail light surrounds but that corrosion was polished out and never returned.
Frody is offline   Reply With Quote