Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #673
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am not following what you are saying here.

Brian

I think he meant that the groups not so closely associated with WBCCI or AF were not as aware of the problem and had a perception that WBCCI and AF were whining about insignificant issues. We as members of WBCCI and AF should work hard to correct this misperception.

Of course if they had very little contact with WBCCI or AF I don’t know how they knew we are whiners and complainers. Must of met one really disgruntled member.

I see Jim is back so I assume he will expand on his post.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #674

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Interesting observation, recently I have had oportunities to talk to airstream owners who have had very little contact with the airforums or the wbcci. Most noticed that the members of these groups seem to be whiners and complainers and and these people knew even less what the problems in each group were. So are we happy with this perception? I am not! jim
Moderator hat on:

Let's understand here that if folks feel that they have been unfairly treated and have no other alternative, complaints will surface at any public forum that is available. The nature of most public forums is that those without issues will not post. Issue being defined as a question or a problem. Unfortunately the folks who make the blanket assumption that the members of this forum are complainers or whiners are obviously drive by's. Anyone who takes the time will realize that there are many, many threads that have no negative connotations. I'm not happy with the perception as stated, but on the other hand I consider this perception as a small % of the total folks who visit and stay on this forum. Much like those who might be the cronic naysayers also being a small %.

We can't sanitize everthing that is stated here, nor can we vouch for the accuracy of the statements made. We are forum for thoughts and ideas. The moderation team attempts to keep things civil and above board. I feel sorry for those who pass us by based on their perceived value of a few threads, if don't take the time to look at the overall content of this site.

Owner hat on:

I have a minor case of the corrosion on my '04 Classic. The most severe outbreak is on the trim that surrounds the compartments the hold my two batteries. Am I happy about it? No. If you followed this and other threads, Airstream initially did try to address the issues under warranty. I think it became somewhat fruitless in the accessory area, wheels and trim components, since the replacements also then regressed into the same pattern. As far as corrosion on the body segments go, the real question is how many $$ do you throw at the repair, if you can't guarantee that it won't come back? Until you come up with a real solution, any work done is stopgap. Personally short of the trim side of things, I don't want anyone pulling and replacing panels since sometimes I think the cure might be worse than the symptoms.

The Alcoa finish was the solution to a clear coat issue that came about in the 90's. Environmental regulations forced Airstream to modify the formulas used in the clear coat material used at the factory. After fruitless attempts to correct the problems, Airstream turned to Alcoa for a solution. Obviously they thought they had it until some of us discovered that once the finish is broken, by cutting or rivet holes, a path exists for the corrosion to take hold.

What's the fix? I really don't know. You can bet that pressure at this site will play a major factor in resolving the issue. Nothing can be worse for Airstream than unhappy customers. They can be a buzz kill for those doing their research.

Unfortunately for those of us with the problem, the solution will evolve in the new trailers. Much like the folks with the peeling clear coat problem in the 90's. I don't believe the fix won't be there for us. Take it for what it's worth and those who want to pursue this in a legal sense can take it to the wall. I'll probably address the trim items on my own nickel. What little corrision I have is pretty minor and as best I can tell hasn't progressed.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #675
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Thank you Jack.

I'm sure for most of us it's not about getting a permanent fix from AS for our Trailers.
As for me I'm resolved to the fact that it's up me to deal with it. You can tell from my posts the battery frames and door hinges have been delt with. The filliform is a work in progress.

All I ask for is a recognition from AS that they have a problem and they are working on improving overall QC.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #676
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Airstream has fundamental problems with quality control on the factory floor. Those are simple and need to be addressed on the management level. There are greater issues with corrosion that only the top scientists, electricians and metal urgist (check spelling) can solve.

My hope is that our message will be heard and corrective measures will be taken. How ever valuable a vintage bottle of fine wine may be, whining has no value once or ever.

Pepsi has a newly rebuilt road cabin. We still have some work to do. But we, the Mrs and I agree it is worth while. We look forward to our new Airstream experience.

With help and support here (HERE) we will be able to maintain our aluminum palace and keep our Pepsi can rolling.

Silvertwinkie, you are a forum hero and we celebrate your wisdom. you are welcome at my fire any time, happy camping...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #677
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
Pepsi and Zig: Nice that you buried the hatchet.
JCanerva: thanks for the info, I figured it had to do with regs.

I am of the opinion that it's up to us to find the definitive solution. Thefew, the faithful, the filliformers.
We got the units that were produced when they "thought" they had a solution to an easy finish maintenance solution. I am becoming of the opinion that the real solution to an easy finish is....not! It's either elbow grease or tarnish.
So, in that vein, I'll be looking into how to strip the coating without killing the appearance (or owner). And I'll report back.

There are enough of us to know someone who knows someone who knows it or can try it. Clearcoating, anodes,...whatever.

As Walt (don't call me Wally) Kowalski (almost) said: "That's what we do, fix things."

Keep the shiny side up!
wppii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #678
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Maybe it's not the clear coat?

Hi, I was just thinking about this corrosion problem and had a thought of another possible cause. Maybe it's not the clear coat, but maybe it's just a bad alloy. You know like cheap stainless steel that rusts. Maybe this aluminum has been recycled to the point of being far from pure, instead of high grade aluminum. Maybe this aluminum is saturated with acid from cola's or alcohol from beer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #679
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I do not have the time or patience to search this thread to see if this has been brought up already, I suspect it has. The zinc anode only is effective in the presence of water, and lots of it. That is why it works on boats, oil rigs, etc. They are sometimes used in underground applications when the presence of moisture is high. otherwise, the effect is nil.

Has anyone with a newer trailer stripped the finish yet? It seems like the logical next step toward having a uniform appearance on a newer trailer. It is almost impossible to do a spot repair or touch-up on clearcoated aluminum that is not going to be noticeable. It's the nature of the beast. It seems to me that any finish on aluminum is a losing proposition. Even "back in the day" airstreams had this issue. It just took a bit longer for it to happen.

I have a '64 Safari that was stripped before I bought it and there was not a significant amount of filiform corrosion even though it had the original finish up until a year or two ago. I plan on polishing it to a high shine and enjoying it as it turns a fairly uniform dull alum color. I will always have the option of re-polishing it if I want to devote the time. I will not be putting any finish on it aside from possibly a wax job now and then.

I don't have to deal with the same issue that most of the contributers to this thread have, as my Safari is a vintage unit. It is upsetting to hear how many people are in this predicament though. I sincerely hope that there is a better solution to this problem coming soon. Until then, I offer my condolences to those suffering from NEWAIRSTREAMITIS.

Good luck to you!

Rich
Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #680
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
I have a '64 Safari that was stripped before I bought it and there was not a significant amount of filiform corrosion even though it had the original finish up until a year or two ago. I plan on polishing it to a high shine and enjoying it as it turns a fairly uniform dull alum color. I will always have the option of re-polishing it if I want to devote the time. I will not be putting any finish on it aside from possibly a wax job now and then.
Good luck to you!
Rich
It IS the alloy they are using.

Solution.....I have no problem with my AS looking like this, no filliform.

If I wanted shiny at least it could be polished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91537-R1-13-11_014.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	76486  

Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #681
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Geese, Mrs. Pepsi was cleaning the trailer. I walked out bare foot and grabbed the screen door and got bit. Yeaooooch. Everybody else coming and going was wearing shoes. It was hooked up to the truck, so I was the only ground.

I quickly unplugged the land power line and it went away. I wasn't excited about testing the door again. Son, come over here and take your shoes off. (Just kidding) NOT quite the problem with Electrolysis I was expecting.

I think my trailer is actually fighting back now.

Please PM me if you know where I should look to begin fixing this problem...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #682
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Pepsi

Look into one of these....

50-Amp RV Box Adapter - Item - Camping World

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #683
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Bad aluminum????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I was just thinking about this corrosion problem and had a thought of another possible cause. Maybe it's not the clear coat, but maybe it's just a bad alloy. You know like cheap stainless steel that rusts. Maybe this aluminum has been recycled to the point of being far from pure, instead of high grade aluminum. Maybe this aluminum is saturated with acid from cola's or alcohol from beer.
Robert,

I suspected this about 300 posts ago, that the quality of the aluminum combined with the inferior cutting, drilling and or stamping of the sheets are creating a cumulative effect allowing the corrosion to take hold and then expand. Something changed beside the coating process.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #684
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post

Silvertwinkie, you are a forum hero and we celebrate your wisdom. you are welcome at my fire any time, happy camping...
Nice of you all to say, but I learn everyday just like the next person as I put my pants on one leg at a time just like nearly everyone else. I clearly don't have all the answers to anything. These forums have been very valuable to me. Had this and other QC related threads been avail back in 2003 and 2004, I might have gone a whole different route.

In the end everyone's participation in a constructive manner is what makes the issues more real and not just a handful of folks disgruntled and venting. The issues (this and the QC threads) are very real and as Jack said in his very clear and reasonable post, the info here is basically posted at face value. It's a forum of sharing. Take the info at face value and make your own decisions, but at the very least the info is out there for whomever to do with it as they wish.

I would encourage anyone who has this issue to post the VIN number (if you feel comfortable) build date and any pictures and specific info you can. A picture is worth a thousand or more words. I'm gonna pull my Safari out in about a month and at that time we'll see if the issue has continued to grow, and you can be rest assured, I will post pics either here or on a different site and provide links.

I will take you up on that fire visit though as I am sure as travelers and Airstreamers we will inevitably meet at some place, at some time....we all do.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #685
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
corrosion on '07 International

Well, thanks everybody for all the information. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Bates RV in Tampa told me this is not a warranty item...I find that hard to believe. If my 2006 Tundra were doing this, I can assure you Toyota would fix it! Love the Airstream...don't like the corrosion.
All the Best,
Sherry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	76594   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	76595  

Name:	P1010020.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	76596   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	76597  

Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #686
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
more corrosion photos on "07 International

A couple more photos...once more, thanks for everybody who has posted on this problem.
Best,
Sherry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010022.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	76598   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010023.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	76599