Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #621
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I saw no evidence today of any chips or breaks in the clearcoat.
Bob, maybe you can't see them, but they are large enough for salt and oxygen molecules to enter. Get out your electron microscope and check it. Maybe there are people at UB who would be interested in testing the clear coat for a research project.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #622
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, maybe you can't see them, but they are large enough for salt and oxygen molecules to enter. Get out your electron microscope and check it. Maybe there are people at UB who would be interested in testing the clear coat for a research project.

Gene
Gene,

Now that I think about it, the only commonality, all were high up on slightly curved portions of the panels. It could very well be caused by uneven clearcoat, but the random pattern is a mystery. Photos in Spring.
They may not look at all like they do now.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #623
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
After reading all this and reflecting on the situation, I can truly understand the frustration of all, and in particular those that purchased brand new recently.

My take on this is as a manufacture, that eventually this will bring down air-stream. I was very interested in purchasing a Pan American for product demos in the Garage when on the road, not now. Multiply that times how many of us will never buy new and those contemplating buying new and reading this forum and the news is not good for corporate. In this economic climate you have to hitting all 8 cylinders or be slaughtered.

I had 2 major reasons for buying an Airstream. 1. The look. 2. Other Rvs I owned had delamination, and that pissed me off unlike any other problem. This corrosion issue is serious and eventually the passion and then the reason to keep it go into the sunset. At least for me.

Airstream, you have screwed up big time. I see no way for you to overcome such an obvious flaw in quality. I wish you all the best, but my prediction is some very bad years ahead, and a once proud reputation tarnished(no pun intended) beyond repair.

Now for that prevost???
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #624
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here are some interactions I had with both Airstream and Alcoa on this subject. Keep in mind there were at least 2 phone conversations with Airstream between these emails that took place and that my website link with the photos is over 2 years old and my unit has in fact gotten worse (updates to follow in the spring). I did take the site down after Randy saw the pics, but after repeated attempts to get resolution, with no success, the site went back up and will continue to be updated with pictures of my unit and any new unit I find that has this so that others know what to look for prior to buying a new or newer Airstream. Additionally, I do know that the forum link in the Alcoa communications do not work, but they did back in 2007 prior to this site doing normal maint and site changes. Also, if you take a look at the Aloca link, they claim they had a treated sheet of alum in the salty south Florida sun. Funny, my unit has never been anywhere near salt, yet mine is not showing the same results Aloca is claiming. For the record, I never heard from Randy again after he was going to check with Chris about what they did when I was there, nor did I ever get a response from Dave Schumann (two attempts made, one by email, one by phone-- message left). I do not recall if I posted any of this info earlier, and since none of this is listed under non-disclosure and was not indicated to me to be private or confidential in any way, here they are, FWIW (I apologize in advance if any of this is repeat info):

Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 9:37 PM
To: t***@airstream.com
Subject: Photos of problem....

Randy,

Attached are the photos we talked about before the holidays. There are several pictures where the corrosion is showing up. These are compressed. If you can't get them decompressed, I've also placed these on my quasi private website for you to see at www.silvertwinkie.net

Once you've seen the pics, I'll take them off the site.

The unit has been indoors most of the 3 years I've owned it since new. I don't know what might be causing it or how to stop the existing from spreading. I seem to get 1-2 new ones every month or so. I had the unit at the factory back around 2005 where some of the corrosion was addressed in the cast alum tail lights and all 4 rims, but as you'll see, it's not only come back in those areas, it's also come back all around the body now too.

Any suggestions or help you or Airstream might be able to provide I would appreciate! In case this support ticket is no longer open, one of the pics has the VIN number on it.

Thanks!

"Randy" <r*****@airstream.com>

From some of the photo’s I would suggest cleaning the area and then applying a cover such as clear finger nail polish to help prevent the spread. I am checking with Chris to see if we can pull past records to see what was done at the service shop.

Randy
Airstream Customer Relations

Here was my interactions with Alcoa:

Contact Message
===============
Country USA

Subject Alcoa coatings on Airstream RVs

I own a 2004 Airstream and the aluminum shell, wheels and other areas are showing signs of fill form corrosion. Airstream is saying
that the coating you place on the panels, prior to them getting the
aluminum is cracking, and I so far cannot figure out why this is
happening or get an answer as yet from Airstream. Your web site
showcases the success of Airstream and Alcoa and even says on this link
that the coatings don't fade, peel or crack:

Alcoa: Worldwide: Markets: Automotive: Customer Successes: Airstream Travel Trailers

Yet this is what Airstream is telling folks in a public form on post #39
when asked why this is happening:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...it-31208-3.htm
l

Do you have any insight as to what is causing this to happen. My unit
started corroding after only a year after production. So far there
16-17 units reporting this same corrosion issue from between the 2002
model year up to an including the current 2008 Airstream model year.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

thanks for your comments. We've passed them on to the
manufacturing team to inform them of this situation.

Your best bet for specific answers on your product will continue to be
your Airstream dealer.

Regards

Alcoa
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #625
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
PS- In the spring, am considering creating a totally separate message board dedicated solely to two things, the Airstream build quality and this corrosion issue where folks can enter pics, data, etc. We'll see if time permits this.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #626
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have a 2005 Classic 25 that I purchased from the original owner and it has the corrosion on the door grab handle and on the trim around the battery box doors. The previous owner purchased it in October 2005 and stored it inside except for using it a couple times and when it was on the dealer's lot before he took delivery.
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #627
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know whether this is true for this type of corrosion, but it has been shown that vehicles stored in a heated garage rust faster than those left outside or in an unheated garage. The freeze-thaw cycle caused quicker oxidation.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #628
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
I have a 2005 Classic 25 that I purchased from the original owner and it has the corrosion on the door grab handle and on the trim around the battery box doors. The previous owner purchased it in October 2005 and stored it inside except for using it a couple times and when it was on the dealer's lot before he took delivery.
That type of corrosion can be delt with, it's still a PITA though.

Google filiform...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER, WITH A LITTLE HELP.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	75572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOOR HINGE CORROSION REPAIR 007.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	75574  

Attached Images

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #629
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Woah!
I have not seen them in my 2007 yet. But you can bet I am going to look closely. This is very disappointing.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #630
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down Well it's not spring yet......but

ref post #622

These have appeared since Winterizing last November.

Only a few of at least 20 spots on the rear end cap's

Sanded and cleared yesterday....what now? Cr@p looks like I missed one.

Oh yes, I'm very happy they can't be seen from ground level.

ST,
Your correspondence with AS & Alcoa was very enlightening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New filiform, rear end cap 2-16-09 001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	75591   Click image for larger version

Name:	New filiform, rear end cap 2-16-09 002.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	75592  

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #631
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
ref post #622
These have appeared since Winterizing last November.
Only a few of at least 20 spots on the rear end cap's
Sanded and cleared yesterday....what now? Cr@p looks like I missed one.
Oh yes, I'm very happy they can't be seen from ground level.

Hi, I thought you did a great job by painting the door hinges and the battery box frames, but the end caps? that's a whole new animal.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am also finding corrosion on my trailer. I will do a complete inspection with photos in the next few weeks as soon as time presents itself. My trailer is under a cover canopy and receives no direct sun or rain except when in use. I am posting in the thread as it seems as the most logical place to document the problem in case AS ever decides to correct the problem.

Thanks to those who have started this thread and maintain it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #633
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
I am also finding corrosion on my trailer. I will do a complete inspection with photos in the next few weeks as soon as time presents itself. My trailer is under a cover canopy and receives no direct sun or rain except when in use. I am posting in the thread as it seems as the most logical place to document the problem in case AS ever decides to correct the problem.

Thanks to those who have started this thread and maintain it.
Jim,

Let me be the first to welcome you to our not very exclusive club....sorry.

632 posts in less than 2years.
I've tried several different methods to deal with it,(filiform) none of which have been very successful. Some have appeared to keep it from spreading but don't look very good. It's very difficult to get the repair to blend in. Oh well maybe this year.

Misery loves company...post 'yer pic's and you'll blend right in
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #634
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm heading out to an RV show this weekend where I believe Airstream will be represented. I'm bringin' my camera just in case.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #635
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I'm heading out to an RV show this weekend where I believe Airstream will be represented. I'm bringin' my camera just in case.
ST
I've got a bottle of Happy Camper Red that sez 'ya find some, might not be fillyform......but hinges, battery doors, taillight frames, dented stainless, don't forget your ladder to ck the roof.
Gotta stop now DW came in said I'm cause'n trouble again, sez what if AS reads these posts. Thats the whole idea honey!! She couldn't believe it when I went from "The Frantic Banana" to "Rolling Corrosion"
Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #636
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Been following this thread for some time now after noticing the same corrosion problems on my "baby" which is just over a year old now (17ft Safari Sport). Just today I gave it ,its monthly wash as it stays outdoors in a storage facility. I noticed many new spots of this "corrosion" around reflectors, indicator lights etc and am wondering what to do next. Thinking about taking it to CG trailer works and seeing what the good people there can do for me. I totally sympathise with others who have saved up money for a long time to buy the Airstream of their dreams only to be saddened and disappointed by the slow corrosion that we are all seeing .I definitely appreciate the information sharing here.
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #637
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Rn,

Keep watching this thread. We are all trying to find a good solution. The Mother-ship won't even recognize it as a warranty problem so it's up to us.
About all I can do to slo it down....clean filiform with 1000grit wet sandpaper, cover with brush on clear coat. See rush job in post 630, will be cleaning it up better this Spring.
Actually it may work out, the filiform is high on the end caps and not visible from the ground. It will give me the opportunity to try things without worrying about how it looks, I'm sure it will take some trial and error to get it right.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #638
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
Just beginning

I have an 04 28' CCD International. Only very minor filiform corrosion so far on the skin and taillights. Door handle seems to have it more extensive. Unit is stored under a roof, but otherwise exposed, in CA central valley.
Tell me if I read this right: This corrosion happens under a coating, remove the coating and the problem is reduced to one of manually shining it up like the older units, i.e. either completely seal it from the atmosphere (under a clear coat to keep it shiny) or completely expose it, let the ALOxide form and remove it from time to time with a manual polish effort. I know, easier said than done, but that seems to be the only definitive solution. The Boeshield and ACF50 seem to stop the process temporarily, but leave the corrosion products under the clearcoat. Am I processing what I have read correctly?

Anyway, I came to this thread for a different corrosion problem. I noticed a twin perforation of the belly pan, centerline, just aft of the spare tire. Actually, first noticed a drip. Kind of bubbly like acid, but no reaction when tested with baking soda solution. Methinks it's a dissimilar metal problem, the white paint on the interior of the belly skin wore through + recent trip over the Sierra summit with snow, chains, road salts + trip back in torrential rain.
Opened up the pan to find minor moisture in the insulation and beginnings of other pitting corrosion where the paint has come off. Interesting to note, no corrosion on the uncoated, exposed, exterior side of the belly skin.
Is there a different thread for this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09-2 002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	76320   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-2 006.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	76321  

Name:	09-2 007.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	76322   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-2 010.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	76323  

wppii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #639
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wppii View Post
Am I processing what I have read correctly?
Yep...but I wouldn't polish the affected area.

Iv'e used 1000/ 2000 grit wet paper to remove the filiform, sanding with the "grain". Brush with clear and re-sand til smooth. Proceed gently..Trial and error first in an obscure area.
Iv'e also used Stainless paint with marginal results.

Also did the battery frames & door hinges with pretty good results, see previous posts.

Looks like the belly pan can be repaired. After insulation dries you could seal with Polyurethane, re-secure. Clean area well for good bonding. Then fabricate a right angle of aluminum to fit over front of the frame and belly pan. If the pan is holed, you can rivit a patch sealed with poly, use aluminum rivits.

Good Luck and welcome to the "club"

Bob
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #640
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
Thanks for the reply.
My plan for the belly pan was to coat the crossmember in cold galvinze paint, then either tape sealant or rubber tape for a mechanical isolation, then steel rivets. (read in one reference that fasteners should be of the more noble metal). Clean, prime and epoxy the inside of the belly skin, patch holes with a riveted-on, non-painted patch, sealed around edges. Not shown well in pix but there is already an angle to flash off the front of the belly skin.
I am trying a rubberized undercoating product for the exposed steel. Factory paint has been no match under there for the rocks thrown up from the tow vehicle. Have done the stabilizers and spare tire carrier, will do the front face of the aforementioned xmember too.
Starting a 48hr work shift tomorrow, will be back at this on Thurs 3/5, weather permitting.
Thanks again, Bill
wppii is offline   Reply With Quote