Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #581
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Electrostatic....

Check this out....

Electrostatic Rust Protection - GT40s.com
Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #582

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM & 12paws View Post
I wonder if something like this has been tried or even tested by Airstream?

It's an electrostatic corrosion control system called CounterAct. I have had one installed on my TV since last Feb so it's too soon to tell how it's working.

What's CounterAct?

Has anyone else considered something like this? What are your thoughts?
I had one of these systems on my Honda Accord. It was a freebee from the alarm company that installed a system on the car. Whether it worked or not, I'll never know. I know I kept the car over 10 years, kept it outside and put 165,000 miles on it. We drove it through salt and all kinds of inclement weather. When I sold the car, it didn't have a speck of rust on it. The car was waxed about twice in its lifetime.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #583

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post

For now, with the economy being so bad, anything they build, there is a lot more time to put it together right. When I was there they couldn't keep up with demand, hence no reason to change, but I think after this recession finally tapers off, folks are going to be a lot more careful on what they spend on things, so maybe in the end this could be a good thing, but from my seat currently, a ball has clearly been dropped.
I know that Airstream went through a particularly bad time in the 90's when EPA regs required them to mess around with the clear coat formula. During that period of time there were a lot of issues with the clear coat peeling due to "environmentally friendly" reformulations. In some cases they refinished trailers under warranty only to see the refinish job peel.

I don't know how many trailers were produced over that decade with the finish problems but the solution of the Alcoa prefinished aluminum became "the fix". My gut is that Airsteam is probably looking at the issue, but hasn't come up with a good solution at this point. Obviously while the problem is maddening to us, it's not as evident to most folks as the 90's era trailers with the peeling clearcoat.

It probably will eventually be worked out (unfortunately the solution will probably not be retro to those of us with the existing problem). My only advice is to keep this issue front burner here on the forum. It may dissuade some folks from buying new and if it gets back to management that sales are being impacted, the speed of the solution might be positively impacted.

While our polls are somewhat less than scientific, it may be interesting to start one which would classify responses from current owners who were turned off from buying new due to the problem. Another choice might be those who frequent here, don't own an Airstream, and didn't buy new because of the problem. At this point I have a couple of very minor spots near some rivets. The major outbreak is on the aluminum trim that surrounds the access doors to the battery storage boxes. I'm assuming this trim is similar to the tail lights that have gone south on many units.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #584
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Two new opinions.

Hi, although my trailer is far from pampered [never waxed] and spends it's whole life outside, I have very few corrosion issues. This is in comparison to some of those who wax, park indoors, temp control, Etc. Etc.

1st, maybe Airstream could do a secondary clear coat spray on each unit after the body has been completely assembled. This would cover all rivets, joints, and exposed edges that were cut. [unprotected] And maybe this would get these units a few years before the corrosion starts to come out.

2nd, I have read many of the links posted on this forum about Aluminum corrosion. And it seems to me that no-one has an answer and that in reality there is no magic cure. [or protection] The aircraft industry does inspections on the planes and at a certain point determines it's time to replace that corroded part.

We don't have to like it, but [my opinion] corrosion happens.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #585
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Ottawa , Ontario
I have a '08 Safari SE Bambi currently in inside storage for the winter. The only area that might be starting to have surface marks (rust?) was the door hinge. Like everyone out there I want to do what I can to protect my investment. I just came across this product Rust Prevention Rust Protection Metal Penetrating Lubrication Anti Corrosives Multi Purpose Metal Protection BOESHIELD T-9 has anyone tried it on their aluminum babies?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #586
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
What an interesting, monster-long thread. I've evenly skimmed about 40% of it, focused a lot on the beginning and end. Too bad it's dark right now and I can't check my 2008 (purchased June 2008) 23' CCD to see. Anyway, I think the forum would benefit from a "Corrosion FAQ or Wiki." If I find mine has significant corrosion, maybe I'll take a stab at a contribution. There is a lot of meaty content in here mixed with in with a lot of verbage. One could probably spend a full day reading posts 1 through 586. There should be a more efficient way to spend 30-60 minutes and leave with 98% of the knowledge you would have if you suquentially read all.

To add a data point to the collective research pile, I have had mud splattered on my front guards for 2 months. I think I'll clean it tomorrow to see what it did.

I saw the "What's your favorite wine vote." Is there a "How much alluminum corrosion does your 2004-2009 Airstream have?" vote?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #587
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Greenbrae , California
Unhappy Corrosion

I too have corrosion on the tail lights and have noticed it on my rims.
Surely there must be an Attorney somewhere in this group. If there is someone that can help please let us know.
If I knew about this forum before I purchased I would have bought and older one and restored it. I would not buy new.
jaojamjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #588
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Churchville , Maryland
My 03 Safari has numerous white spiders around the “Airstream” emblem on both the curb side and road side. Elsewhere the skin is in good shape. All wheels show the problem. My concern is around the emblem. It would seem likely that the corrosion is caused here by the presence of dissimilar metals. I though about removing the emblem, sanding, and paint some sort of design to cover the area. Does anyone know how the emblem is attached?
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #589
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable View Post
My 03 Safari has numerous white spiders around the “Airstream” emblem Does anyone know how the emblem is attached?

Double sided tape.

Here's some info on what we are dealing with.

aluMATTER*|*Aluminium*|*Forms of Corrosion*|*Filliform Corrosion
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #590
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
aircraft

Small aircraft are:

- painted or polished, not clearcoated
- not exposed to road salt
- some interior surfaces are painted with zinc-chromate primer
- generally stored inside
- stripped and repainted (at great expense) every 10 - 20 years
- some owners treat interior surfaces with ACF-50, or a similar spray-on oil, periodically
- owners try to avoid replacing part$! Intensive PM helps.

Pigmented paint vs clear is the major difference, IMHO.

I own an '03 Airstream and '60 Beechcraft... guess which has more corrosion problems?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #591
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have had a bit of corrosion on the frames around the battery boxes, on the entry door grab handle, and on one window frame. The solution given me by the head-tech/part-owner of our local dealer is to use a ScotchBrite pad on the area and paint on a coat or two of clear acrylic.

According to him, that is precisely what Airstream puts on these surfaces at build time. The corrosion comes off very easily with the ScotchBrite pads.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #592
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Cable:

This is what the factory added to deal with the corrosion around our emblems - it's an 02 Bambi and was noticed early enough to be dealt with under warranty. I assume it was simply glued on around the emblem without them removing it but I really don't know. It's been 4 years now and the corrosion has not extended beyond the moulding. I'm sure you could pick this up from them including instructions on how to put it on.

Elsewhere I think I've been pretty lucky - there has been a little - but nothing like what is reported through this thread.

Having said that my luck may be starting to run out - the wheels have a bit, the grab bar beside the door and all 4 side-reflectors are showing. I've taken to using Corrosion X and am also using Rejex instead of Walbernize. I began this in the early summer and so far so good - there hasn't been any additional "growing" and one of the surprise benefits has been that Rejex seems to produce a much deeper sheen.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4086.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	74569  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #593
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I have had a bit of corrosion on the frames around the battery boxes, on the entry door grab handle, and on one window frame.
Check out posts #489 & 493 for how I addressed those problems. Took some time but was worth it.

Sorry fact that the Mother Ship is Lost in Space on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER, WITH A LITTLE HELP.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	74571  
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #594
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Nice job RJD....too bad you had to do it at all on such a young trailer. I've read Airstream is trying some things to limit the exposed areas, but frankly I am not sure if what they may or may not be doing will solve this long term.

I will say that it is a total unmitagated travesty that you even had to go to such extremes on such a young trailer. Your fix, though it does seem to address the belt line areas, I am really wondering what you may do to the many radndom rivets that show similar corrosion issues? For example, my unit which is one model year older than yours has random rivets all over the body with white lines growing outward from the rivet. I can't see doing your fix on 5 to 10 or more rivets....and you know ours are somewhat old units compared to some folks that have taken delivery of units roughly 6 months off the assembly line that already started showing this issue.

It's just a shame that for the prices paid for these that we wind up with this kind of build quality and engineering. I have never been much of a vintage person, but I will say that vintage is looking more and more like the way to go IMHO. Not to say that I expected my shell to be flawless for 10 years, but I sure expected more than a year or two-- on a positive note, I did get longer life out of mine than the folks that have had 6 month old units with this issue.

In all seriousness though I really wonder how many folks who paid top dollar for their Airstream, that have this issue, would go out an buy another new one after this exp. I for one will never buy another new Airstream. I may upgrade later to a pre-owned or may go vintage, or maybe to a whole different brand as the "cool" factor isn't enough to justify the constant and growing issues with these new ones.....

I bought our 04 28 last year for over 50% less the the PO paid. It sat out side in the Detroit area for 3 years and was never used on the road. I noticed right away clear coat peeling in the center of the coach on both sides just below the roof line.

After 5 cross country runs, all in the winter, most of the camping done very close to the pacific ocean and runs through all kinds of salt and mag chloride have yielded a very unique looking streamer. She is looking seasoned indeed, and I wash it often and try but it appears to be a lost cause.

I second your opinion on buying new. It would seem to me used is the only way to go. She has been faithful and fun. I have it stored in Ft Collins in covered storage and will not try to fix the imperfections. This however is my last streamer, if need be strip and paint or if business gets better,.....I like shiny things and maybe a Prevost? I wonder how corrosion is on those beasts?
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #595
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Churchville , Maryland
Smile Emblem Trim Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Cable:

This is what the factory added to deal with the corrosion around our emblems - it's an 02 Bambi and was noticed early enough to be dealt with under warranty. I assume it was simply glued on around the emblem without them removing it but I really don't know. It's been 4 years now and the corrosion has not extended beyond the moulding. I'm sure you could pick this up from them including instructions on how to put it on.

Elsewhere I think I've been pretty lucky - there has been a little - but nothing like what is reported through this thread.

Having said that my luck may be starting to run out - the wheels have a bit, the grab bar beside the door and all 4 side-reflectors are showing. I've taken to using Corrosion X and am also using Rejex instead of Walbernize. I began this in the early summer and so far so good - there hasn't been any additional "growing" and one of the surprise benefits has been that Rejex seems to produce a much deeper sheen.

Jay
Jay, thanks a bunch for your post. Yesterday I finally got through to the AS store. Seems they were closed due weather for a while. The trim pieces are on order. (expensive!) AS tells me that they are aluminum and are supplied with adhesive. All one has to do is pell off a paper and stick on. Different sizes are stocked due to different size emblems being used on different trailers. One needs to know the emblem size when buying the trim.

I too have been using CorrosionX and there is some concern how the adhesive surface will stick. CorrosionX was used on the inside and outside of the wheels when they were off to repack bearings. Also I have concern what effect on the tires will be. Extreme care was used to avoid getting CorrosionX on the tires but some made it there anyway. I am going to give Rejex a try also. AS Customer Service wouldn't give an opinion on Rejex.

Cable
Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #596
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
aluMATTER*|*Aluminium*|*Forms of Corrosion*|*Filliform Corrosion

You won't STOP filliform with any coating or wax, you will only slow the process down. It starts with a breakdown of the coating and progresses
from there. Keep the coach clean and sealed and hope for divine intervention.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #597
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable View Post
Rejex a try also. AS Customer Service wouldn't give an opinion on Rejex.

Cable
Interesting that they have no opinion on a product they sell at their online store which in my mind, if it's in their store, I assume it's for use in or on an Airstream. Obviously Airstream had an opinion about Walbernize.

https://store.airstream.com/index.php?cPath=44

I'm with Bob. Not sure how much wax or coatings will stop this. I have waxed the hell out of my unit and it has only slowed it as Bob has pointed out. I thought mine was bad until I saw some others post pics.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #598
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
My own logic, warped though it may be, was to allow Corrosion X the time to do its work - then clean and seal with Rejex.

Please know that I put myself at the pre-school level of technical expertise on this subject - but my own observations regarding Walbernize and Rejex is that the big benefit of Walbernize seems to be its ease of application - long-lasting it is not. Rejex clearly lasts a heck of a lot longer so my assumption is that its sealing effect is far superior. The clincher for me was this past falls 10,000 KM road trip - multiple washings, several storms, a day-long dust storm in Monument Valley, and the remnants of a snowstorm in Northern Minnesota with its attendant road treatments. When we got home and I was able to wash the grime off for the final time the water was still running off the front of the trailer - granted - not as much as when I first left - but I still read this as pretty impressive.

It may be a grand experiment - but for better or for worse what I have done now is to spray the filiform areas with Corrosion X and left it on for the winter. The game plan in the spring will be to clean the trailer and apply a couple of coatings of Rejex. If all it does is slow it down then this at least is a measure of improvement if not success. And if it doesn't work at all - well - I won't have made it worse and the filiform will be shiny!

To gauge progess I have taken pictures of the filiform areas - and - if it continues to move - even marginally - then I will apply my home-grown "prescription" between trips as well.

The final part of the prescription? - my fingers are crossed ....

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #599
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
CorrosionX, ACF-50, and BoeShield are all oily sprays. They dry somewhat, leaving a barrier from oxidation. They do not chemically alter the aluminum... so when they are washed away, the protection is gone. They work (for a while) on bare aluminum that is not exposed to the elements or washing, which removes the material. On aircraft they are primarily used to protect the bare aluminum inside surfaces of wings, fuselage, and control surfaces.

Our Airstream challange is that the corrosion is underneath the clearcoat... our options are:

- Spray the surface, but it can't get to the "head" of the corrosion worm track and will probably do no good.
- Spray the surface defect that started the corrosion in the first place, and hope that some of the spray wicks its way through the worm tracks to stop further corrosion. I doubt that this will work because the worm tracks are too long.
- Poke some tiny holes in the clearcoat (with a pin?) right over the worm tracks and spray.
- Use a tiny hypodermic needle to inject a bit of the stuff right into the corrosion cells. Although I don't want to introduce more surface defects, it may not hurt too much where there is already corrosion present. Worth a try?

Covering up corrosion with stick-on decorations like RangerJay had done, and was done to my trailer, is just hiding the problem for a while. It is still corroding away under that cover.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #600
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Thanks Dan - helpful and concrete advice - if the tracks keep moving the logical next step may be to introduce some kind of break in the surface that will allow the product in to do its work. Kind of scary - hope it doesn't come to that - but watching it continue to grow just isn't an alternative.

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)