Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #561
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Better but....

Not perfect.

Two small filiform repairs..

Stainless Paint...so so.

What's next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Paint, Filiform 004.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	70666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Paint, Filiform 003.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	70667  

Name:	LIQUID STAINLESS STEEL 351.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	70668   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIQUID STAINLESS STEEL 353.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	70669  

Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #562
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Well, add me to the list, again. The '08 is now part of the filliform club. Unfortunately, I had to get the trailer put away wet after our last road trip and extremely cold and freezing weather immediately followed. It wasn't until the last couple of days that it has been warm enough to wash. I have found no fewer than about a dozen white worms, mostly on the front end caps. Bummer.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #563
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Alternate Repair to Corrosion in Newer Airstream

Thought I would post my alternate repair to significant corrosion along the belt line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	221.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	73376   Click image for larger version

Name:	214.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	73377  

Name:	218.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	73378   Click image for larger version

Name:	215.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	73379  

"THINK OUTSIDE THE big white BOX"

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O
rjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #564
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Rjd..

Did you guys buff off the clearcoat and polish the aluminum? It looks very good. What is the grey stripes above and below the new polished area? I did not know that the newer skins could look so shiney.

How "on there" is the alcoa clear coat?
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #565
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Just wondering,

Did the non pre-coated Airstreams (plasti-cote) have the same issue with filiform corrision at the rivets and ends of cut skin?

If so, maybe AS should go back to the spray on coating?

Thoughts....
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #566
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Burbank , California
Corrosion

I have an 05 international and the tail lights and handle next to the door are doing the same. Let me know if you get a mass email or letter togeather I would love to sign it.

Charlie
Charlie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #567
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice job RJD....too bad you had to do it at all on such a young trailer. I've read Airstream is trying some things to limit the exposed areas, but frankly I am not sure if what they may or may not be doing will solve this long term.

I will say that it is a total unmitagated travesty that you even had to go to such extremes on such a young trailer. Your fix, though it does seem to address the belt line areas, I am really wondering what you may do to the many radndom rivets that show similar corrosion issues? For example, my unit which is one model year older than yours has random rivets all over the body with white lines growing outward from the rivet. I can't see doing your fix on 5 to 10 or more rivets....and you know ours are somewhat old units compared to some folks that have taken delivery of units roughly 6 months off the assembly line that already started showing this issue.

It's just a shame that for the prices paid for these that we wind up with this kind of build quality and engineering. I have never been much of a vintage person, but I will say that vintage is looking more and more like the way to go IMHO. Not to say that I expected my shell to be flawless for 10 years, but I sure expected more than a year or two-- on a positive note, I did get longer life out of mine than the folks that have had 6 month old units with this issue.

In all seriousness though I really wonder how many folks who paid top dollar for their Airstream, that have this issue, would go out an buy another new one after this exp. I for one will never buy another new Airstream. I may upgrade later to a pre-owned or may go vintage, or maybe to a whole different brand as the "cool" factor isn't enough to justify the constant and growing issues with these new ones.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #568
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
In all seriousness though I really wonder how many folks who paid top dollar for their Airstream, that have this issue, would go out an buy another new one after this exp. I for one will never buy another new Airstream. I may upgrade later to a pre-owned or may go vintage, or maybe to a whole different brand as the "cool" factor isn't enough to justify the constant and growing issues with these new ones.....
Twinkie - Very well said. I just can't understand why the factory doesn't "get it" when it comes to trying to at least not piss off AS owners when a simple fix 'may' be available. It's not like they don't make a generous profit on the sale of new trailers. OK, so maybe they aren't selling that many new trailers, rignt now, but there will come a better day, and still no effort on their part? Simply NOT acceptable behavior on their part.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #569
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
whitsend what is the "simple fix that may" be available? Airstream always would provide you with the beltline molding like that on the Classic if the problem started while your unit was under warranty. Of course you had to pay for the installation. Probably should have had it done to mine but I just didn't like the look of the molding. And I just noticed the other day that I've now got the fickle finger of filliform on both my door hinges. Not bad yet but sure it'll spread. Wonder what the trailer will look like when its finally completely covered?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #570
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down They have it back asswards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
whitsend what is the "simple fix that may" be available?
EASY... They could go back to coating the coaches AFTER flattening all the rivits.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #571
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
My experience with corrosion is from the marine side of the recreation field.

Some of these comments sound similar to the corrision that is seen on aluminum hull boats. Dissimilar metals, and even alloy differences under some circumstances, will create corrision issues. Stray electrical currents also may be an issue. Trouble shooting to find the source, or sources, of the corrision can be difficult, and may require the aid of experts in the corrision field.

I doubt that Airstream has this expertise on staff in house.

Coating these areas with whatever will probably not produce a permanent cure.

Nick Meloy
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #572
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
rjd, I've looked at the photos, but I can't figure out just what you did. Can you explain.

We are considering going to the factory this Spring and having them put on the "extrusion" with the silver insert that comes at the bottom of the aluminum panels at the beltline. I think this is what they use on the Classic, but I'm not sure. It would be a preventative measure as this appears to be the most likely place to have corrosion. It would cost around $200 and seems like good insurance considering the cost of the trailer. I haven't seen corrosion elsewhere except on the silver insert at the bottom of the panels. It was replaced without question on warranty.

If rjd's solution does the same thing (prevent corrosion), I'd like to know about it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #573
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
My experience with corrosion is from the marine side of the recreation field.

Some of these comments sound similar to the corrision that is seen on aluminum hull boats. Dissimilar metals, and even alloy differences under some circumstances, will create corrision issues. Stray electrical currents also may be an issue. Trouble shooting to find the source, or sources, of the corrision can be difficult, and may require the aid of experts in the corrision field.

I doubt that Airstream has this expertise on staff in house.

Coating these areas with whatever will probably not produce a permanent cure.

Nick Meloy

This is what we are dealing with.......
aluMATTER*|*Aluminium*|*Forms of Corrosion*|*Filliform Corrosion
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #574
rjd
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Riverside , California
Our trailer had extensive corrosion damage. The damage was primarily concentrated at the belt line; however, could be seen in several other areas. We bought our trailer used, so we don't know the "environmental" history; however, it was under warranty, but Airstream refused to work with me. The Polishing Guru in Riverside, CA attempted fix the belt line, but the damage was too extensive for spot fixes. He ended up polishing a 3/4" stripe. I believe he did this by sanding off the finish, using acid to take out any oil/impurities, then polishing the aluminum as done on a vintage model. The area was masked off using aircraft aluminum tape. The grey stripes are simply pin striping tape. It helped seal off the transition and covered a few goof-ups. The bare metal is sealed with Nu-Brite. This fix was not easy and took a while. Other areas were treated with Corrosion-X. The Polishing Guru stated that he has never seen an Airstream as new as ours with that amount of corrosion.

I don't think this solution will "prevent" corrosion; however, the damaged material was totally removed.

I will keep everyone posted on how the repair holds up.

Robert

"THINK OUTSIDE THE big white BOX"

GMC 3500 CC/Dually Dmax
28' Safari S/O
rjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #575
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
whitsend what is the "simple fix that may" be available?
You are not the 1st to question my comment, so I obviously wasn't "clear". What I meant to say was that it seems to me that it wouldn't be rocket science for Airstream to do the research, work closely with their supplier & find a solution to this problem , if they cared about producing a quality product and their customers satisfaction with a trailer that customer has paid a large bucket of bucks to buy . You will note that I did use quotes.

Sorry to have given any of you good folks a wrong impression .
Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #576
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. With Thor behind them, the largest RV builder in the US, I find it difficult to understand how Airstream's engineering team (if they have such a team) has yet to come up with a solution and one that will stand some tests of time.

Then again, if you've read the QC threads over the past 5 or 6 years, you've seen trends that cannot be simply attributed to "in transit" occurrences, etc. There have been and continue to be fundamental construction and engineering issues with these new trailers. This corrosion is simply one aspect of the overall problems I and others have had. I've owned two Airstream trailers, a 2003 and a 2004. Mechanically, my 2003 was a POS. I traded it on a 2004 and though the build quality was better than that of my 2003 (which really isn't saying much given the fact that my 2003 was a train wreck), it still had a list of about 19 items that the factory addressed. More issues come up every season, more than any other vehicle or product I have ever owned.

Though clearly Airstream is not alone in the realm build quality issues, they do charge 2 to 3x more for their trailers than nearly any other RV builder. Then I read here how even under warranty Airstream is simply calling the corrosion issue a maint issue and not doing much in terms of warranty for those still under warranty is just disgraceful.

Now I know that every exterior fails over time and the exterior of my Airstream is no exception. Even the vintage units exteriors have issues. But after 6 months? A year? I personally feel and this is just my opinion, that less than 5 years is bad. Less than 3 years is unacceptable. 6 months to a year from leaving the production line is an outrage. Mind you, my unit is extremely well cared for. It is stored indoors under somewhat climate controlled conditions (interior garage with heat, A/C spill over and dehumidifier) cleaned and Walbernized regularly, been in only a handful of rainstorms, never seen snow, salt, etc.

My interior has some riveted alum in the kitchen area. CCDs and SE units have the same alum all throughout the interior. Few have any issues with the inside metalwork. However, that is not exposed to the elements like the outside. So to me, and mind you I'm no engineer, the issue is that the exteriors are not sealed well and once exposed to the outside, these production nicks and coating breaches simply accelerate the problem.

The old saying goes:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There won't be a third time for me folks.

These trailers may be on the road for years and years, but what will they look like in 10 years if they look like this now, so soon? How much will you have to spend to get it refinished, then how long will that last and then cost again? Don't get me wrong, I love the Airstream design, but from a simple numbers perspective, buying a box, disposing of it and getting another box can be far less costly than owning and Airstream. Of course, it's not nearly as slick, retro or cool, but take the cool factor out of it, you can easily buy 3 average RVs for the price of 1 average Airstream. In finish and repair costs, you might even be able to pick up a fourth SOB for the price spent on 1 Airstream.

These are the Ferraris of Travel Trailers and those of you who know Ferraris know they cost a lot to maintain, need constant maint, expensive to fix, only a handful of places can fix them, they cost 3x or more than the average vehicle on the road... sound familiar? To Ferrari's credit though, their exterior finishes do last more than a few years!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #577
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I agree. With Thor behind them, the largest RV builder in the US, I find it difficult to understand how Airstream's engineering team (if they have such a team) has yet to come up with a solution and one that will stand some tests of time.
Silvertwinkie - My take is that they just don't care, especially in these trying times. But I stick to my comment about rocket science to solve the problem. I could not care less whether or not AS has an engineering team. Either way, you simply hire the best, most knowledgeable consultants in that field and task them to work very closely with their aluminum supplier and also take a look at their own methods of handling their stock of aluminum UNTIL THE PROBLEM(S) ARE RESOLVED. Being Airstream, tied to Thor, they have the leverage to demand the supplier work with them to solve the issue.

We all know "they" don't give a tinker's toot, especially right now, but ole Wally would be screaming his head off and firing people left & right. I'm referring to his motto about "changes vs. improvements". I just don't want to believe Wally would accept not only the foloform issue, but the lack of a quality finished product going out "his" door.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #578
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sadly, Wally has been gone for a number of years and it shows.......and this my friend is what we are now left with-- Great design +poor engineering +poor quality of build + hefty cost+shady warranty on corrosion= lost customers (myself being one of them).

I think they care, I just think the bean counters have nixed any idea of doing the right thing here. If you've been to the factory, clearly there are some great folks out there, but upper mgmt has basically made it a numbers game and this is what we get for the price paid. I think now the vintage folks were right all along.

For now, with the economy being so bad, anything they build, there is a lot more time to put it together right. When I was there they couldn't keep up with demand, hence no reason to change, but I think after this recession finally tapers off, folks are going to be a lot more careful on what they spend on things, so maybe in the end this could be a good thing, but from my seat currently, a ball has clearly been dropped.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #579
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Ottawa , Ontario
I wonder if something like this has been tried or even tested by Airstream?

It's an electrostatic corrosion control system called CounterAct. I have had one installed on my TV since last Feb so it's too soon to tell how it's working.

What's CounterAct?

Has anyone else considered something like this? What are your thoughts?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #580
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM & 12paws View Post

What's CounterAct?

Has anyone else considered something like this? What are your thoughts?

That or similar devices have been around for years.

They do work..sort'a.

Back in the 90's I worked as a tech at an Austin/Marina Dealership, MG, Morris etc. Had a customer who installed one on the inside wheel well of a brand new MG Midget. After two Bflo Winter's it had rusted it's way out.

Rest of the car looked like it had been thru two Bflo. Winters.