Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #393
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

..............don is a retired lifetime company worker who lives nearby...
2air, I don't care if the guy is Santa Clause. If he really doesn't remember being asked by several people about the corrosion, then so be it. If he tells lies, then shame on him, and shame on anyone that told him to lie. Iím sorry, but I am so sick of the mess corporate and political liars have gotten this country into, I could puke. I know, itís just a meaningless little white lie, but itís the principle. If Don truly doesnít remember being asked several times, then my apologies. I just find it hard to believe.

Ahhh, that feels better

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Filiform corrosion

Well, it was slow to emerge and develop, but there’s no denying that our Safari also has this affliction, which I suspect is, or will be the affliction of every new or newer trailer until a remedy is found.

Silvertwinkie—Thank you for starting and maintaining this important thread.
SilverCabin—Thank you for documenting your issue with photos and telling us about your experience with ACF-50 and Airstream’s installation of the Beltline Trim.
2air’—Thank you for your detailed input regarding the importance of using quality waxes, and anti-corrosion sprays.
5cats – Thanks for your photos documenting your filiform. You were the first to see my filiform!
And all others who contributed, thank you!

See photos of our filiform and the rest of the story, Filiform corrosion, in my column, History Safari Express, on the Airstream Life Online Community web-page.

(I tried to up-load photos here, but there seems to be some problem with the new Airforums' software, which says that I am over my allotted attachment space, even though I am a supporting member).

Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #395
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
SilverGate, was this an actual article on Airstream Life? How did this get on their website? You are an author for ASL?

I'm totally floored (in a very shocked and positive way) that this thread is linked off the Airstream Life website. I am sure it will get some attention. It's just a shame it's gone this far that it has to.......

At least we are all in good company. Thanks for the post.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #396
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Silvertwinkie—Yes, I am one of seven authors that have been maintaining a column on the Airstream Life Online Community for half a year now. We cover many varied topics such as traveling, camping, restoring trailers, food, humor, rallies and much more.

Each of us writes about what interests us. We do so in a positive and supportive way. Our content is our responsibility, and is not necessarily the opinion of Airstream Life Magazine.

In my latest article, “Filiform corrosion”, I am writing about one of my current concerns and how I am dealing with it. I thought that this indeed is an important Airstream concern and by doing an overview of this issue, along with ways of dealing with it, could benefit others.

I also thought that it would be a good opportunity to gather some of the highlights of the issue and possible remedies, gleamed from 29 pages of your thread.
I invite comments to my column, but they need to be framed in a positive, non-political way. Your thread is the best place to keep this important dialogue going.

Thank you for your compliments and good work here!

SilverGate
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
...anyway, I think I might have a solution to this problem. I was speaking to the marine tech guys where I rent my office space and was describing my corrosion problem. One looked at the other and the BOTH said.......ANODES!

They thought that by adding a sacrificial anode that went thru the skin into the steel frame, that it might stop the corrosion......same as it does on boats.

I'm going to try one on the bottom of the trailer in a couple of weeks after I clear up and re-polish any areas I find, and we'll see what happens. Worth a shot anyway!
That could a new fashion trend, we'll all bolt sacrificial zinc anode blocks on our Airstreams!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #398

Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
I was born in 1946 and my dream for retirement is to travel the USA in a RV. I was going to purchase an Airstream but now I'm not sure. Maybe I'll revisit Bigfoot.
As a former business owner I believe that Airstream is mistaken in not addressing this issue up front. Perhaps, as someone already mentioned, the Japanese will do to AS what they have done to the US auto industry.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Here is a sample of my filiform corrosion that relates to my post #394 above:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0251.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	61910   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0255.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	61911  

Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #400
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Here is a sample of my filiform corrosion
Looks exactly like what I have. Mine, at least, hasn't really become must worse, and isn't really all that noticeable unless you're looking for it

Shortly after I first reported on this thread (@ 6 months ownership) I exercised the same regimen you noted in your article: wash, acf-50, followup with boeshield; particularly along the exposed cut edge of the panels midway up running all around the body.

A little over a year later, I really haven't seen any dramatic increase in the corrosion on the body panels. The AL wheels are deteriorating, however. These I treated the same way, at the same time, but have more spidering now. *sigh*

I'll see about some follow-up photos for comparison to last year's shots.

Hey, thanks for getting this out to a difference audience with your article, Bill. Always Good Stuff, and well written. I think this one will prove to be helpful. (Maybe we'll see you at some local campground this year and I'll thank you in person...!)

Cheers,
-jd.

[Edit] Forgot to mention: to date I have seen zero corrosion issues on the inside skin of our SE. -jd.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
5cats -- Thanks for the validation that anti-corrosion sprays are helpful, at least on the Airstream body panels.

Looking forward to your follow-up comparison photos.

Cheers,
-- Bill
Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM   #402
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I spent some time looking at some of the newer units at the Midwest Rally this past weekend. I did notice several units had this problem. The ranges were between 2005 and 2008. Some worse than others.

The thing is, each one of these units was so clean you could eat off the exterior and in talking to some of the owners, the units are maintained-- meaning bugs cleaned off, Walbernized (as suggested by the factory), yet this is very commonplace. I'm not sure I entirely buy the fact that this is a maint issue.

I would never own a different brand than an Airstream, but I will say this, I will NEVER buy another new Airstream again. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have bought a pre-owned one. My thought is why pay the retail price (typical off list pricing) for a new one when they depreciate like a rock the first 3 years and at least (and I think this is being generous) 50% of the units rolling off the line may exhibit this corrosion.

It just seems to me that buying a good pre-owned one saves you a bunch of depreciation, and, better yet, you're not paying the top dollar for what I consider a product plagued with issues, this being IMHO, the most significant.

I pulled my converter this past weekend and installed a three way converter/charger. It was just a joke how the things that you don't normally see are installed. More garbage, dirt, electrical wiring that was being thorned by sharp corner cuts to floor to allow it to pass.....fun just never ends.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
From the corrosion on my trailer it appears that it always starts from a "disturbed" area of skin - a cut edge, a rivit, a rock chip, etc. From there water, salt, and air get under the clear and start the "worm tracks". Once started, it keeps on going and going and going. I don't think that anti-corrosion sprays will do much good unless you can apply at the point of original damage and it can follow the worm tracks by seeping under the clear (the original path of the water, salt, and air).

I believe wax or Walbernize will help maintain the shine of the clear, but do not help much with the filliform. These products only seal the broad surface, not the source of the problem: damaged edges.

The basic problem is the clear material is not sufficiently bonded to the aluminum. Either the material, or process that applies the material, needs to change.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #404
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I purchased my trailer new in Florida, so it had some exposure to salt air. I immediately drove it to Wisconsin, in December, so it undoubtedly picked up some road salt too. I stored it outside for the first few months. Since then it has been kept inside. If I had it to do over again, I would avoid all salt and store it inside from the beginning.

Now I am renting an airplane hangar that is large enough for both the trailer and my plane. It is fully insulated, heated, and completely dry. When not camping the trailer is my "office" at the airport, with all the comforts of home!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #405
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I purchased my trailer new in Florida, so it had some exposure to salt air. I immediately drove it to Wisconsin, in December, so it undoubtedly picked up some road salt too. I stored it outside for the first few months. Since then it has been kept inside. If I had it to do over again, I would avoid all salt and store it inside from the beginning.

Now I am renting an airplane hangar that is large enough for both the trailer and my plane. It is fully insulated, heated, and completely dry. When not camping the trailer is my "office" at the airport, with all the comforts of home!
I did that from the get go. Inside climate controlled storage with minimal humidity. Bottom line, storing it inside won't save it......slow it at best, if my unit is any indication.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Hi Silvergate: I am guessing that we are sort of neighbors. (My kids went to Silvergate). I too am having that same filiform corrosion that you have. The photos that you have above are almost identical to the ones I took and I sent back to Airstream to ask them what to do. They said Corrosion X. I guess I could have found that out if I had gotten to your forum. Now, I have some reading to catch up on and some elbow grease to apply to our '06 Bambi. Thanks, Randy Bowman (OB Bambi).