Old 07-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #2353
4 Rivet Member
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
The big question is we just took delivery 1 July. I don't think there should be any form fill on a brand new trailer. The door handle is also bad. I will discuss with Bay Area Airstream after the holiday.

Originally Posted by RareStream View Post
The only way to be rid of this problem for good is to take them off, chemically strip them (that cheap clearcoat will flake right off) and polish them with aluminum polish.

Then, leave them uncoated. Do not clearcoat them. If you do, the corrosion will return.

If your corrosion on the aluminum isn't bad or deep consider yourself extremely lucky. Otherwise, you have to sand the corrosion off and it can be very difficult, deep, and stubborn.

It's best to catch this problem now. Much less work down the road.

Once they are polished, in the event they start to slightly tarnish (which will not be filiform or deep corrosion) you just have to wipe them with some more aluminum polish and it literally takes about 2 minutes a side. Then they look new again. Simple.

Here, read this thread:

Good luck, but really this is the only way to fix them and not have to worry about it happening again.

cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #2354
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I have a brand new 2015 FC 23D and the tail light AL blocks have lots of white spots/small lines. Recommendations?
Here's my input:

Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #2355
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Thanks Howard L....That's exactly what I thought would be my aporoach but hearing domeone else having success with it helps grestly....I truly appreciate it.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #2356

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I have a brand new 2015 FC 23D and the tail light AL blocks have lots of white spots/small lines. Recommendations?
Remove clear coat....

Had to do the same on our Classic battery door frames...wet sand 800 to 1500, then seal it it once a year.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	68
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	269034   Click image for larger version

Views:	58
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	269036  

Attached Images

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote