Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #2241
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".

I guess it depends on what you consider large amounts........

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	249189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	249190  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	249192  
Attached Images

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #2242
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I saw a 2012 that came out of Colorado that was pretty rough .
Your question is a good one.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #2243
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Amazing...this thread is nearly 10 years old...oh how the time files and how the issue has never really been solved.

For me, my '04 has a few fingers of it here and there. The cast tail lights prob show the worst of it and the funny thing is that before Airstream stopped covering corrosion damage, they actually replaced both my cast alum tail lights only for it to return.

Now mine has been kept inside for the most part when not in use, but this year, I've had it out in the drive most of the summer. Last winter it was stored in a pole barn and I noticed that the issue got slightly worse not being inside a somewhat climate controlled space.

10 years have passed and a few things remain certain:

1) I still love the trailer and the brand

2) I will never buy another new Airstream again due to this single issue happening less than 6 months after rolling off the factory floor

3)Airstream's quality I've found over the years is like a clock pendulum. It get better and it gets worse. Good years and not so good years.

It's a bit disheartening to see all the pages of posts after all this time, even on new and newer trailers still reporting the issue. I never thought back 10 years ago that this thread would continue on a long as it has, but it does for a reason.

The techs may or may not know about it, but management does. Of that I can assure you. They've made some token gestures over the years, but in the end, no one will ever convince me that a trailer that is less than 6 months off the factory floor with the corrosion issue present is a maintenance issue. It's a lack of engineering, attention to detail and a way for Airstream to skirt the issue...and why would they really solve it, we keep plunking down $50k or a LOT more for these little darlings. There is no incentive and no downside for them to do what is required to significantly reduce or eradicate this issue. In the meantime we wax and coat and sand and re-clear our $50k+ trailers, some less than 6 months old.

Good luck to you all.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #2244
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".
If you do nothing, once you've got it, it will just get worse. Unless you just really don't care at all, an owner should do: Minimum: corrosion X wipe down. Better: C X and then polish. Best: C X and then re-seal that area with clear coat then polish and repeat each year. When it gets like Bob's photos above, it's ugly plain and simple.

I think it would be impossible for all of today's Airstreams, with the Alcoa clear coat, to remain filiform corrosion free. Given certain conditions and an entry under the clear coat, filiform is going to form. However, Airstream could do much more to new trailers that would minimize this problem to a great extent. Cut, machined and drilled areas should be clear coat sealed prior to assembly. Raw edges and drilled rivet holes are the areas where filiform most often begins. So sad this company will not deal with this more completely.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #2245
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For the raw edges I have carefully run a fiber-tipped acrylic clear coat pen along them several times, letting it dry between each application. For the panel rivets I touch them with a CorrosionX soaked Q-Tip and wipe off once a quarter. For the underbody steel I spray it with CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9 annually. For any inevitable nicks or scratches in he panels I touch them with CorrosionX, wipe, then coat with acrylic clear coat. For the hinges, light bezels I spray and wipe them with CorrosionX quarterly. I wax annually with a good quality polish.

Our Airstream is always outdoors but never has been in a coastal or winter road salt environment. In four years since new there is no trace of corrosion on or under our Airstream. Fairly easy preventive maintenance can make a difference.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #2246
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
For the raw edges I have carefully run a fiber-tipped acrylic clear coat pen along them several times, letting it dry between each application. For the panel rivets I touch them with a CorrosionX soaked Q-Tip and wipe off once a quarter. For the underbody steel I spray it with CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9 annually. For any inevitable nicks or scratches in he panels I touch them with CorrosionX, wipe, then coat with acrylic clear coat. For the hinges, light bezels I spray and wipe them with CorrosionX quarterly. I wax annually with a good quality polish.

Our Airstream is always outdoors but never has been in a coastal or winter road salt environment. In four years since new there is no trace of corrosion on or under our Airstream. Fairly easy preventive maintenance can make a difference.
Doug is the poster child for doing it right--getting ahead and staying ahead of problems. However, depending on the environment you operate the trailer in, you may still pick up corrosion. On the other hand there is a 25 footer that's 10 years old setting in outside storage where I keep our 30. That Airstream looks like it has never been washed, let alone polished. It is faded, dull and the plastic chrome rubrail trim is dull grey. I can not find one squiggle line of filiform anywhere. Go figure.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #2247
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howard, that example of the Airstream with little to no maintenance and yet no corrosion says everything about the environment we expose them to.

I have seen similar examples in the dry desert climate of Arizona. There is an Airstream storage yard at a former dealership in Tucson. Very little maintenance, no corrosion. Interesting, this is only a few miles from Davis-Monthan Air Force Base where the military stores its out-of-service Aircraft.

So environment is a factor. I'm not sure how much prevention would be needed in the coastal and road salt areas, certainly more than the inland areas.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #2248
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Corrosion

I have a 2009 25' Flying Cloud with the same problems. Mine started the 1st year that i bought.(09 new, purchased in 2010) The first thing i notised was the pits on the tail lights. Then as washing it, i notised the bubbling at the seams. On the threds i saw how to fix the problems. I have been around the auto mechanical trade for most of my 74 years. That's not a repair that I would call ok, or looks wise either. This Air Stream has never been kept outside(except when we travel) never seen salt, or any snow. We have traveled out West twice, south 3 times. I also might add that the worksmanship leaves MUCH to be desired. The lousey cheap material on the inside(way to many to list) should never be used on a trailer of this price. Air Stream is selling on their reputation, not on the quality of their product. Personally on a scale of 1-10, I would give them 4, maybe. I am one unhappy owner of an Air Stream, never to buy again. When someone says OH'' you have an Air Stream, I say, it's way over rated, it's a POS. Just saying how I feel!! Gordy
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #2249
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Large amount of filiform corrosion

Quote:
Yes, see photos & story of one member's trailer with extensive filiform, which resulted in selling the trailer: Corrosion

Additional information re: Filiform corrosion
Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #2250
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Doug is the poster child for doing it right--getting ahead and staying ahead of problems. However, depending on the environment you operate the trailer in, you may still pick up corrosion. On the other hand there is a 25 footer that's 10 years old setting in outside storage where I keep our 30. That Airstream looks like it has never been washed, let alone polished. It is faded, dull and the plastic chrome rubrail trim is dull grey. I can not find one squiggle line of filiform anywhere. Go figure.
Hi, my 11 year old 25'er has always been outside, never waxed, spent most of it's life 8.5 miles from the ocean, washed many times, has some corrosion, but less than many that have been waxed religiously. Has been from Southern California to Alaska and 14 Western States and 3 Western Provinces. And now on a cross country trip from Oregon to Maine. We are nearing home and are in Texas right now. I believe, in time, they will all get some corrosion no matter what you do. Put your Airstream in a vacuum bag, in a temp controlled barn, and never use it, and you might be safe from corrosion.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #2251
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Bob, 8.5 miles from the ocean and no road salt is well enough to call a salt free environment. That is the key and explains the little corrosion on your Airstream.

Some years ago we lived 1/4 mile from the ocean in So. Calf and it was not a salt free environment. Our aluminum window screen frames corroded, the back side of the chromed car bumpers, any unprotected metal left outside for a period of time was affected.

Including our Navy aircraft at the airfield and aboard ship, it was a constant and ongoing corrosion control effort. Ironically, it would first appear around the rivets and raw aluminum edges.

We now spend much of our winter months near Tucson, AZ and the military aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. Dry Arizona. Many of those same aircraft reside there today, no longer treated for corrosion and little to no further corrosion happening.

Consider it a three-legged triangle. Salts, moisture, and unprotected metal. Take out any of the legs and the corrosion will not occur. The easiest thing most of us can do is protect the metal with paint coatings or corrosion protective products such as CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #2252
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
The techs may or may not know about it, but management does. Of that I can assure you.
Is there someone at AS that is the technical person who should know? How do we make sure that person knows of the problem?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #2253
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I can recall seeing brand new, never sold units on the lot at windish that had dozens of spots and blistering of the coating.... Truly sad!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #2254
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hi Bob, 8.5 miles from the ocean and no road salt is well enough to call a salt free environment. That is the key and explains the little corrosion on your Airstream.

Some years ago we lived 1/4 mile from the ocean in So. Calf and it was not a salt free environment. Our aluminum window screen frames corroded, the back side of the chromed car bumpers, any unprotected metal left outside for a period of time was affected.

Including our Navy aircraft at the airfield and aboard ship, it was a constant and ongoing corrosion control effort. Ironically, it would first appear around the rivets and raw aluminum edges.

We now spend much of our winter months near Tucson, AZ and the military aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. Dry Arizona. Many of those same aircraft reside there today, no longer treated for corrosion and little to no further corrosion happening.

Consider it a three-legged triangle. Salts, moisture, and unprotected metal. Take out any of the legs and the corrosion will not occur. The easiest thing most of us can do is protect the metal with paint coatings or corrosion protective products such as CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9.

Sorry to disagree but 8.5 miles from the ocean is a salt environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums