Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #2241
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,802
Images: 1
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".

I guess it depends on what you consider large amounts........


Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	249189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	249190  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	249192  
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
"What you do speaks so loudly, no one can hear what you say"
M. Levy




So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #2242
4 Rivet Member
 
DoublTrouble's Avatar
 
2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 475
I saw a 2012 that came out of Colorado that was pretty rough .
Your question is a good one.
__________________

__________________
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #2243
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,331
Amazing...this thread is nearly 10 years old...oh how the time files and how the issue has never really been solved.

For me, my '04 has a few fingers of it here and there. The cast tail lights prob show the worst of it and the funny thing is that before Airstream stopped covering corrosion damage, they actually replaced both my cast alum tail lights only for it to return.

Now mine has been kept inside for the most part when not in use, but this year, I've had it out in the drive most of the summer. Last winter it was stored in a pole barn and I noticed that the issue got slightly worse not being inside a somewhat climate controlled space.

10 years have passed and a few things remain certain:

1) I still love the trailer and the brand

2) I will never buy another new Airstream again due to this single issue happening less than 6 months after rolling off the factory floor

3)Airstream's quality I've found over the years is like a clock pendulum. It get better and it gets worse. Good years and not so good years.

It's a bit disheartening to see all the pages of posts after all this time, even on new and newer trailers still reporting the issue. I never thought back 10 years ago that this thread would continue on a long as it has, but it does for a reason.

The techs may or may not know about it, but management does. Of that I can assure you. They've made some token gestures over the years, but in the end, no one will ever convince me that a trailer that is less than 6 months off the factory floor with the corrosion issue present is a maintenance issue. It's a lack of engineering, attention to detail and a way for Airstream to skirt the issue...and why would they really solve it, we keep plunking down $50k or a LOT more for these little darlings. There is no incentive and no downside for them to do what is required to significantly reduce or eradicate this issue. In the meantime we wax and coat and sand and re-clear our $50k+ trailers, some less than 6 months old.

Good luck to you all.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #2244
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".
If you do nothing, once you've got it, it will just get worse. Unless you just really don't care at all, an owner should do: Minimum: corrosion X wipe down. Better: C X and then polish. Best: C X and then re-seal that area with clear coat then polish and repeat each year. When it gets like Bob's photos above, it's ugly plain and simple.

I think it would be impossible for all of today's Airstreams, with the Alcoa clear coat, to remain filiform corrosion free. Given certain conditions and an entry under the clear coat, filiform is going to form. However, Airstream could do much more to new trailers that would minimize this problem to a great extent. Cut, machined and drilled areas should be clear coat sealed prior to assembly. Raw edges and drilled rivet holes are the areas where filiform most often begins. So sad this company will not deal with this more completely.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #2245
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,150
For the raw edges I have carefully run a fiber-tipped acrylic clear coat pen along them several times, letting it dry between each application. For the panel rivets I touch them with a CorrosionX soaked Q-Tip and wipe off once a quarter. For the underbody steel I spray it with CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9 annually. For any inevitable nicks or scratches in he panels I touch them with CorrosionX, wipe, then coat with acrylic clear coat. For the hinges, light bezels I spray and wipe them with CorrosionX quarterly. I wax annually with a good quality polish.

Our Airstream is always outdoors but never has been in a coastal or winter road salt environment. In four years since new there is no trace of corrosion on or under our Airstream. Fairly easy preventive maintenance can make a difference.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #2246
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
For the raw edges I have carefully run a fiber-tipped acrylic clear coat pen along them several times, letting it dry between each application. For the panel rivets I touch them with a CorrosionX soaked Q-Tip and wipe off once a quarter. For the underbody steel I spray it with CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9 annually. For any inevitable nicks or scratches in he panels I touch them with CorrosionX, wipe, then coat with acrylic clear coat. For the hinges, light bezels I spray and wipe them with CorrosionX quarterly. I wax annually with a good quality polish.

Our Airstream is always outdoors but never has been in a coastal or winter road salt environment. In four years since new there is no trace of corrosion on or under our Airstream. Fairly easy preventive maintenance can make a difference.
Doug is the poster child for doing it right--getting ahead and staying ahead of problems. However, depending on the environment you operate the trailer in, you may still pick up corrosion. On the other hand there is a 25 footer that's 10 years old setting in outside storage where I keep our 30. That Airstream looks like it has never been washed, let alone polished. It is faded, dull and the plastic chrome rubrail trim is dull grey. I can not find one squiggle line of filiform anywhere. Go figure.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #2247
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,150
Howard, that example of the Airstream with little to no maintenance and yet no corrosion says everything about the environment we expose them to.

I have seen similar examples in the dry desert climate of Arizona. There is an Airstream storage yard at a former dealership in Tucson. Very little maintenance, no corrosion. Interesting, this is only a few miles from Davis-Monthan Air Force Base where the military stores its out-of-service Aircraft.

So environment is a factor. I'm not sure how much prevention would be needed in the coastal and road salt areas, certainly more than the inland areas.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #2248
1 Rivet Member
 
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 11
Corrosion

I have a 2009 25' Flying Cloud with the same problems. Mine started the 1st year that i bought.(09 new, purchased in 2010) The first thing i notised was the pits on the tail lights. Then as washing it, i notised the bubbling at the seams. On the threds i saw how to fix the problems. I have been around the auto mechanical trade for most of my 74 years. That's not a repair that I would call ok, or looks wise either. This Air Stream has never been kept outside(except when we travel) never seen salt, or any snow. We have traveled out West twice, south 3 times. I also might add that the worksmanship leaves MUCH to be desired. The lousey cheap material on the inside(way to many to list) should never be used on a trailer of this price. Air Stream is selling on their reputation, not on the quality of their product. Personally on a scale of 1-10, I would give them 4, maybe. I am one unhappy owner of an Air Stream, never to buy again. When someone says OH'' you have an Air Stream, I say, it's way over rated, it's a POS. Just saying how I feel!! Gordy
__________________
gordymurphy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #2249
Rivet Master
 
SilverGate's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,446
Large amount of filiform corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".
Yes, see photos & story of one member's trailer with extensive filiform, which resulted in selling the trailer: Corrosion

Additional information re: Filiform corrosion
__________________
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #2250
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Doug is the poster child for doing it right--getting ahead and staying ahead of problems. However, depending on the environment you operate the trailer in, you may still pick up corrosion. On the other hand there is a 25 footer that's 10 years old setting in outside storage where I keep our 30. That Airstream looks like it has never been washed, let alone polished. It is faded, dull and the plastic chrome rubrail trim is dull grey. I can not find one squiggle line of filiform anywhere. Go figure.
Hi, my 11 year old 25'er has always been outside, never waxed, spent most of it's life 8.5 miles from the ocean, washed many times, has some corrosion, but less than many that have been waxed religiously. Has been from Southern California to Alaska and 14 Western States and 3 Western Provinces. And now on a cross country trip from Oregon to Maine. We are nearing home and are in Texas right now. I believe, in time, they will all get some corrosion no matter what you do. Put your Airstream in a vacuum bag, in a temp controlled barn, and never use it, and you might be safe from corrosion.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #2251
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,150
Hi Bob, 8.5 miles from the ocean and no road salt is well enough to call a salt free environment. That is the key and explains the little corrosion on your Airstream.

Some years ago we lived 1/4 mile from the ocean in So. Calf and it was not a salt free environment. Our aluminum window screen frames corroded, the back side of the chromed car bumpers, any unprotected metal left outside for a period of time was affected.

Including our Navy aircraft at the airfield and aboard ship, it was a constant and ongoing corrosion control effort. Ironically, it would first appear around the rivets and raw aluminum edges.

We now spend much of our winter months near Tucson, AZ and the military aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. Dry Arizona. Many of those same aircraft reside there today, no longer treated for corrosion and little to no further corrosion happening.

Consider it a three-legged triangle. Salts, moisture, and unprotected metal. Take out any of the legs and the corrosion will not occur. The easiest thing most of us can do is protect the metal with paint coatings or corrosion protective products such as CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #2252
3 Rivet Member
 
TheCabin's Avatar
 
2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
...
The techs may or may not know about it, but management does. Of that I can assure you.
....
Is there someone at AS that is the technical person who should know? How do we make sure that person knows of the problem?
__________________
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #2253
Overland Adventurer
 
AtomicNo13's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,715
I can recall seeing brand new, never sold units on the lot at windish that had dozens of spots and blistering of the coating.... Truly sad!
__________________
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #2254
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hi Bob, 8.5 miles from the ocean and no road salt is well enough to call a salt free environment. That is the key and explains the little corrosion on your Airstream.

Some years ago we lived 1/4 mile from the ocean in So. Calf and it was not a salt free environment. Our aluminum window screen frames corroded, the back side of the chromed car bumpers, any unprotected metal left outside for a period of time was affected.

Including our Navy aircraft at the airfield and aboard ship, it was a constant and ongoing corrosion control effort. Ironically, it would first appear around the rivets and raw aluminum edges.

We now spend much of our winter months near Tucson, AZ and the military aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. Dry Arizona. Many of those same aircraft reside there today, no longer treated for corrosion and little to no further corrosion happening.

Consider it a three-legged triangle. Salts, moisture, and unprotected metal. Take out any of the legs and the corrosion will not occur. The easiest thing most of us can do is protect the metal with paint coatings or corrosion protective products such as CorrosionX or Boeshield T-9.

Sorry to disagree but 8.5 miles from the ocean is a salt environment.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless steel corrosion Dave-O Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 21 04-05-2014 07:30 PM
How did you get into Airstreams & Airstreaming? 83Excella Our Community 102 03-15-2009 10:48 AM
Airstreams in winter?? Curtis-79MH Airstream Motorhome Forums 6 03-27-2006 01:58 PM
Black water problems Rob Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 3 08-31-2002 08:34 PM
Ralph Lauren Vintage Airstreams ($150,000) Andy R General Interior Topics 0 02-22-2002 01:06 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.