Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
When I was at JC the end of April they sanded down the door handle and battery box frames (Classic) and clear coated. This was the way our 2005 issue was addressed. The handle job turned out well, the battery boxes well enough... I don't really like the idea of them removing the interior to replace the handle, especially when the issue will present itself again in the future. If I had that done at all I would want the acrylic handle installed. Keeping an eye on the hinges...as stated before, my wheels were replaced and watching them like a hawk. However the filament corrosion wasn't spotted by me until after that. I talked to Randy on the phone since and about ACF-50 that has been sent out to one member as posted here on the forums and he said that was experimental and did not proceed to offering to send some to me.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I guess I'm that experiment.

I haven't been able to update everyone on this yet, but I did apply the ACF-50 according to Airstream's instructions. Scraping the area with a plastic scraper seemed to be of little effect. At the end of the worms, it didn't seem like anything came off to expose the ends to the ACF-50. Where I had some bubbles at the panel edge, the scraper did remove those, and the ACF-50 soaked in.

I took some before/after pictures, but they are on another computer at the moment; I'll post them later. In my close inspection under the magnifying headset, I did find a couple more very small spots on the beltline seam that weren't just on the end cap panels. Also the door grab bar had a small spot at the base. Nevertheless, everything got a scrape (marginal effect) and a good coating with the ACF-50.

Airstream did confirm with me that in October they will clean off the whole area and re-clearcoat before they apply the beltline trim. I'm glad they are going to apply the trim, because if buffing the handles didn't look good on another fix decribed here, I'm sure it wouldn't look good all the way around the beltline.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
... I don't really like the idea of them removing the interior to replace the handle, especially when the issue will present itself again in the future. If I had that done at all I would want the acrylic handle installed. Keeping an eye on the hinges...as stated before, my wheels were replaced and watching them like a hawk.

I was a bit concerned with the removal of the interior skin too, but from the inside, you can't tell it was ever done, probably because the fabric covering. I'm also resigned to the fact that it will likely happen again but I'll be watching, and hopefully I can catch it before it gets too bad.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #214
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
If I have more work done I will be going to the dealers'. I think the service department is spread thin with the increased production without increased quality control. Techs are pulled from one unit to another and if it's busy your work order is processed more hastily than if it is slow. Perhaps it's the same everywhere but the work done in my case and experience could have been much better. I am no stranger there and its wearing thin on both sides. It's time for my dealers to put forth some effort next. I was of the opinion that the factory would be superior but the techs are not from production and some things may be quite foreign to them as evidenced in some of the fixes I have had.

photography
Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I was washing the TV this past weekend and noticed that I have the same corrosion that is discussed in this thread on the aluminum wheels of our 2002 Chevy Silverado, so apparently it's not an AS only problem. My wife works for a large aluminum company and we sent pictures to their research department hoping for a 'cure'. If anything comes back, we'll let oyu all know.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #216
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy8xj
I was washing the TV this past weekend and noticed that I have the same corrosion that is discussed in this thread on the aluminum wheels of our 2002 Chevy Silverado, so apparently it's not an AS only problem. My wife works for a large aluminum company and we sent pictures to their research department hoping for a 'cure'. If anything comes back, we'll let oyu all know.
Any updates?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
No update yet - they've been bought by an Indian company and are going through re-organizing. I'll see if someone has some free time.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I suspect you wouldn't get this filiform corrosion if the aluminum was not clear coated at all. It would just oxidize rather uniformly to a dull grey. Makes you wonder.
Al
And I do appreciate that you are all disappointed with a new trailer showing corrosion.
Gee I like the fact that mine is painted. And when I bought it that way I worried that it might affect it's value adversely.
Not!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #219
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I love the look of your Airstream Big Al! I did not even realize it was painted at first when I saw it amongst the other Airstreams at the M-D rally.

photography
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
...It's here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemac
Holy Cow! Thirteen pages on corrosion!!
I thought my leaky leaky unit would be okay once they stopped up all the leaks! I have owned my Safari for 10 months, taken it out four times, had new leaks every rainfall...and now I have this to look forward to!!!
I bought an Airstream because of its reputation for quality...
So, I don't have to "look forward to it" anymore. Yes, my unit is one of the many corroded cans out there. Our dealer winces everytime we enter the store. They are new to Airstream and we are moving through this whole business together. We are bringning it in next week so they can have a look at our scummy door handle and our pitted licence plate light cover.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #221
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear we have more folks joining the ranks. Keep em coming.

Carol, your exp was not what I had seen when I was at JC. Perhaps it could have been because you were there during the actual camping season when everyone is camping and needs something? Not sure.

Also not entirely sure about the ACF-50 if you can't get the surface scraped as well. I must say, this is a total disgrace to have spent as much $$$ on these and to see the skins and other alum areas on the exterior fail so soon (some as soon as 6 months off the production line).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #222
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I have not followed this thread for awhile but starting after my original post (#146) I noted that there were several comments with respect to soaps, detergents, and even Walbernize. With further respect to my trailer, I wanted to add that, with the exception of one wash job done at Jackson Center in 2005 to remove mildew on the roof, I have never used any detergents or cleaners on the trailer - being quite satisfied to simply hose it down and use a sponge to remove any remaining dirt or stains. Call it laziness on my part, or whatever, but the trailer still looks great and the connection between filiform corrosion and detergents should possibly be considered. I agree that it's still a problem if our trailers can't stand up to a good washing - but, if so, we need to find out why.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #223
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I agree that it's still a problem if our trailers can't stand up to a good washing - but, if so, we need to find out why.
I'm with you on this one. The root cause is what I'm looking for, but so far the sound on the other end of the phone is total silence in terms of the factory. I don't think they really know what to do about it. I've heard several things the factory wanted to try. Sanding down the spots and put nail polish on the skin (great idea if you have this everywhere as mine does...imgaine what that would look like), ACF-50 (which now appears not to be the fix we had all hoped), etc.

I have also heard that folks that keep their units outside have had more issues than those inside. There are several educated guesses we all can make, but I'm happy to have the engineers who design and build these things find the answer, even if it means there is no hope for my unit. As long as they find a fix for all the new trailers they build because it's a god awful thing to plunk down $40+k and in some cases, a heck of a lot more to have your finish totally degrade, even as early as 6 months off the production line. I'd love to own another Airstream in my lifetime, but I won't buy another one and will let anyone considering a new Airstream know of this problem, which they can read about on this thread.

I personally think that anyone considering a new Airstream should really consider the fact that the unit they buy, has a good chance of this happening. There are just too many folks, in too many parts of the country to say this is just a fluke. In my case, mine is indoors, somewhat climate controlled, kept clean and each month, it see more and more spider veins appear and the existing ones get worse, and it hasn't been washed since last fall (I only used it 3x last year).
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
As for possible problems with washing, I was one of those who suggested that detergent might contribute to filiform corrosion with the thought that the surfactants might aid moisture penetration between the clearcoat layer and the aluminum. Since this would be along the edges of the aluminum sheet, the increased edge exposure with the introduction (re-introduction) of the non-covered horizontal seam might contribute to more filiform corrosion.

Despite such a possible technical explanation for some increase in corrosion, there may be an additional factor which I have mentioned on another thread, but will repeat here where it probably belongs.

Not all new Airstreams seem to have this problem. Most with the problem seem to have been built around 2004. It is very possible that Airstream got a "bad" batch of clearcoated aluminum at about that time. "Bad" was surely not apparent at the time of delivery or trailer construction. I do not know how Airstream orders materials, but can imagine that the batch size was probably large. Nevertheless, all of that batch would have been turned into trailers before any problem became apparent.

Is Airstream obligated to make "good" a cosmetic problem? Who knows, but I would remind people of all of those cars with pealing paint in the 1980s. As I recall, there was no major restitution by the car manufacturers.