Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #2213
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have a 2009 25' FC. Never seen any kind winter (salt) kept in a garage when not in use. Tail lights and all seams have the condition that you are describing. Gordy

Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #2214
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordymurphy4 View Post
I have a 2009 25' FC. Never seen any kind winter (salt) kept in a garage when not in use. Tail lights and all seams have the condition that you are describing. Gordy
Gordy, your cast aluminum pieces, such as tail light housings, door hinges, entry handle, are easy to fix. Just tape off and remove old clear coat with fine wet/dry sandpaper (1000 grit, etc) then re-clear coat with spray or brush. There are discussions on the process back in this thread.
Howard

Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #2215
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesSE View Post
Years ago,many proposed a class-action suit for A/S denial of Filiform or spiderweb corrosion.Did that ever progress?
I doubt it. Class actions are difficult to do and you need a large number of plaintiffs. About a decade ago Congress made it even more difficult to file a class action since large corporations don't like to be sued and members of Congress love campaign contributions.

I think if one had been tried, we would know about it.

Gene
Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #2216
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I doubt it. Class actions are difficult to do and you need a large number of plaintiffs. About a decade ago Congress made it even more difficult to file a class action since large corporations don't like to be sued and members of Congress love campaign contributions.

I think if one had been tried, we would know about it.

Gene
Too few plaintiffs = low potential award = insufficient potential payout to interest the tort lawyers. For a capable tort attorney it is more profitable to spend hours on a case involving tens of thousands of victims suffering from illness or significant financial loss than suing an RV manufacturer for a cosmetic issue that may to some people be unattractive aesthetically but doesn't impair the performance of the product or its structural integrity.

Thor may be the largest RV manufacturer in the US, but its pockets are shallow compared to big pharma, big tobacco, chemical companies, or Wall Street investment firms. The big tort attorneys are as greedy as the big corporations and chase the big money, not the little money.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #2217
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That money explanation reason above is why quality is being engineered out of many of the products today. There is no way to penalize the inferior products other than by not buying it in the first place.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #2218
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Well hell, if we didn't buy one we couldn't post our complaints on the forum!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #2219
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We were talking to Ken (Au&Ag) a few days ago and he essentially said the same thing—he replaced a broken part and there were two parts available to replace it. One was cheap and that's what Airstream used. The other was better quality and that was what he used. He has a beautiful Classic and we all know what they cost, but they still use cheap stuff. Imagine if you bought a Porsche 911—and they put the cheapest tires on it, the seats were made of the thin cloth, the foam was low quality and the engine had one cylinder and went to 60 mph in 30 seconds downhill. A fully tricked out 911 costs a little more than a big Classic.

I've been replacing things for 8 years and the problems have settled down. Nothing I've fixed has failed even though I'm not a "professional". Pretty sad comment on Airstream workmanship. When people ask us about ours, I try not to run it down, but I have to say "it tows well, the basic design is good but you have to watch for front or rear end sag, don't buy one with OSB subfloors, you need a lot of tools and know how to use them, carry extra parts, read everything you can on the Forum and don't expect the quality you are paying for, but I guess it is better than some other RV's". We talked to a couple with another Thor product—a Denali—and they said it was a year old and falling apart already. They live in it and travel for his job and want to get rid of it. I try to be honest about the good things, but the bad things are what they hear. So long as they sell every one they make, nothing will change.

Gene
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #2220
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I have a friend who just traded motor homes (he detests the word coach) with a dual rear axle. It was a high end Newmar. He said they took him for a ride in a $1.2M Prevost. He said they're all the same, when you go around a curve or hit a bump, you hear a rattle or clunk until you get things sorted out. I'm not excusing Airstream quality but just noting that issues seem to be prevalent in the RV industry. Someone mentioned in a previous post they are way behind automobiles in build quality and I believe that we will not see notable quality improvement until there is competition (domestic or foreign) who makes a higher quality product and consumers switch "brands". My $.02

Jim
Old 08-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #2221
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
When the plastic catches break on the doors and cabinet doors, Airstream replaces them with the same cheap product for which they charge over $6 each. The solid brass catches one can order cost less than $2.50 each for a dozen or so and the job is permanently fixed. Airstream did use this particular brass design for the 23D sink cabinet doors, but all the rest are plastic.

If Thor corporate wanted the Airstream to truly be the best, then the details would be done with quality materials that probably would add less than $1,000 to the bill of materials cost.

I hope the new Classics have better flooring than the 23D. The table leg has worn through the linoleum in just 2,000 miles. It was so thin there was only one side to it.

I am putting a brass plate down on the floor as a wear point for the table leg just as I did in the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #2222
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
In case it hasn't occurred to you Airstream really doesn't give a hoot. The current owner is a RV company and as noted previously that industry traditionally has lower quality and safety standards than the automotive industry, even in a so-called hi-end product. Aside from the unique shell which is 1930's technology my 2006 Safari seemed to be slapped together with mid-line to mediocre off the shelf components. Pasted on cabinet trim that came loose in a year; water in the guide lights at delivery, non stainless steels screws in outside lights that rusted the first winter; fabric that literally wore through in two years (only occasional use), door to cabinet that literally fell off while driving on a bumpy road (putting shortish screws into fiber board is not a recipe for durability) and so on.

Regarding filiform I have some that doesn't seem to progress. I'm fortunate I can garage the trailer and don't live in salt air (though it rains here). Airstream's response to the problem, benign neglect which I gather continues today, was to recommend spraying on some oil. That clearly is inadequate but when they can sell their "prestige" stylized product at inflated prices why should they care. And yes it doesn't help when they "redesign" every year or two with the emphasis on look rather than function.

I do like my trailer but it really is a triumph of style over function or durability.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #2223
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink ...not corrosion but,

.......I've more or less gotten past that.

AS used these.....
Only two were aligned properly, all the rest broke.

Even CW can do better.....
$6 a pair.

Bob
Old 08-16-2015, 03:54 AM   #2224
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
Those brass catches in post #2223 above are available in bulk here:

Extruded Double-Ball Catches - Lee Valley Tools

Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #2225
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Ok Switz & Robert which size matched closely? Time to add a dozen to the tool bag. The one over the sink popped out, which I fixed with sticks and glue. But I forsee trouble with those cheap plastic ones. Robert , I owe you and update on the castings.
Thanks gentlemen.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 AM   #2226
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We like the feel of the vinyl flooring in our new 2016 30' Serenity, but I can easily see that the vinyl is very thin and would be easy to tear. For that reason, we opted for a berber rug under our recliners (which we move around a bit) and some runners for the traffic pattern. Hopefully, these additions will keep the vinyl from damage for quite some time to come.